Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not really breaking news on Teixeira but...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Nationals Not really breaking news on Teixeira but...

ESPN mentioned the CC deal and followed that up with "Nationals planning on making big offer to Teix" ..in not exactly those words but same drift.

Is this smart for Washington to go big on one guy? Wouldn't it be like Texas when they splooged on ARod and didn't do squat because they never had pitching and enough talent around ARod? I guess it means nothing right now but it would be distinctly obvious Texy is all about the cash if he picks Washington over Boston, NY, Anaheim, etc.

Texy is a good player and Washington needs good players but one man won't make a team
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Re: Not really breaking news on Teixeira but...

I think that comparison to Texas and ARod is a good one. This is a stupid move by the Nationals who just want to get in on the mix for a hometown guy. This would screw them financially in the long run, just like it did for the Rangers, who were lucky to be able to unload ARod on the Yankees, although they still ended up paying a monster portion of his ridiculous salary.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Despite his anti-clutchness, ARod was a better player at that time too so it just makes you wonder... of course, I don't know when the nationals are ever going to be competitive again.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Texas wasn't bogged down by Arod's contract though. That is a misconception. The Rangers made poor choices around Arod like signing Chan Ho Park to that ridiculous contract. The Nats would be very smart to sign Teixeira and give him the world. He would bring asses to sit in that new stadium of theirs and be a force in their lineup. The marketing aspect alone is enough to get him. His production on the field wouldn't be bad either. Nationals have good, young guys coming up in regards to pitching. If the Nationals are smart about it, they could definitely make this work.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Los Angeles Times reports that the Nationals "appear willing to offer eight years and $160 million" to Mark Teixeira.
    That would surely blow any current offer out of the water, but it's just speculation at this point. The Red Sox, Orioles, Angels and Yankees are still very much in the hunt.
    With Sabathia getting seven years, I think other teams can go eight for Teixeira.

MLB ERA

That, and you can forget about the Yankees being in the hunt for Tex

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Texas wasn't bogged down by Arod's contract though. That is a misconception. The Rangers made poor choices around Arod like signing Chan Ho Park to that ridiculous contract.
    Don't forget about Todd Van Poppel
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    of course, I don't know when the nationals are ever going to be competitive again.
    Hopefully never.

And it would be a colossal mistake for Teixeira to take the money and go to Washington. I hope that he's smarter than that and realizes what he would be getting himself into. Washington is where careers go to die.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Odalis Perez resurrected his career to some degree in Washington.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    Hopefully never.

And it would be a colossal mistake for Teixeira to take the money and go to Washington. I hope that he's smarter than that and realizes what he would be getting himself into. Washington is where careers go to die.
    I wonder where this bitterness is coming from.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Nationals extend offer to Teixeira - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

LAS VEGAS – The Washington Nationals have stepped boldly into the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes, making an offer to the free agent first baseman for seven years and $150 million, a highly placed baseball source said Wednesday morning.
    There's your offer

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Former Expos beat writer Bill Ladson reports 8 years and $180 million. God damn, that is grotesque. This might just be worth some consideration.

AA ERA

Teixera will most likely end up using this as a bargaining ploy to further pit the Angels and Red Sox into a bidding war for his services. I can't see him signing with the Nationals, Orioles, or Yankees (After signing CC and aiming hard at Burnett).
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If the Angels don't re-sign Teixeira, then they will have one awful offseason.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sources told MASN Sports that the Nationals have improved their offer to Mark Teixeira to $178 million-$184 million over eight years.
    It's hard to imagine Teixeira choosing the Nats unless they have clearly the best offer on the table, and that would probably mean going to nine or even 10 years, plus including an opt-out clause. The Red Sox are currently believed to be at $170 million-$180 million for eight years, with the Orioles well below. If the Yankees made an offer, it's not currently on the table. All signs continue to point to the Angels being completely out of the mix.
    Looks like the Nationals will make the Red Sox spend even more on Teixeira.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast