Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goals for 2016

Goals for 2016

Was thinking about what it would take for Tampa to finally get over the hump and make the playoffs and came up with some things:

1.) The development of Tim Alderson and/or Cyril O'Reilly into actual pitchers who get ERAs below 6. With Alderson, this is something that I feel should have happened already and will hopefully happen this season. I feel that O'Reilly is a lost cause, but I hope to be proven wrong.

2.) The progression of OF Brian Ragira into a starting-caliber player before mid-season, so that I may play him, and the hopeful development of Aurelio Velasco (AAA 1Bman with major potential, big part of the Morneau deal, who just REFUSES to develop). Pretty self-explanatory: gain some talent, maybe allow me to move a guy or two.

3.) The resuscitation of C/1B/3B Luke Bailey's contact talent back to 8. I don't recall if his contact talent was 9 or 8 (fairly sure it was 9), but I will be happy with a bump up to 8 so that he may develop further contact against right-handers. After all, I did deal Peavy for him, a pitcher who I know will continue to perform at a high level, and I hope that Bailey will progress up to a level where I can say that I've made a good trade. Not that it's a bad trade now, the way things are, but I am hoping for some more.

4.) Jake Turker. His progression throughout the season has been undeniable; in fact, it's been nearly identical to Tampa ace and Cy Young contender David Price's 1st season in the bigs, when he started out extremely poorly and finished well. I'm hoping Turner follows Price's path to success.

5.) The development of lesser-tiered prospects like MR/OF Anthony Gose (who actually went down in talent this season), 1B/3B Theo Eppstein (bastard), and OF Hugh G. Dick into good role/bench players or perhaps even starters. I have found depth to be the difference in simply making it to the playoffs and actually winning a championship, and I would like to continue building from the inside even when it comes to depth.

6.) The acquisition of a real power threat. I'm hoping to combine two players at the ML level (guys like Helickson, Volstad, O'Reilly, Bridges, possibly Longoria and perhaps McCann) in a deal (potentially adding a prospect, depends on the return) in order to acquire a big-time power threat to bat 4th behind Kaenie or 5th behind Skipworth (who I'm hoping gets a contact boost to go up to the original 8 that he had when I acquired him). The ability to draw walks (at least 60-70 a season) is a must, and if this player was not a complete liability in the field would not adversely affect my opinion of him. Finally, avoid Ks is probably my 2nd favorite rating in OOTP (behind eye), and a high (above 6) number in that would be a plus.

7.) Continued progress in the bullpen. Nevius and Hidalgo have shown excellent progress the past 2 seasons and they are clearly my numbers 1 and 2 in the pen. Howell did great this past season, though I don't know if I can count on him as a number 3 guy because of his lack of effectiveness (ratings-wise) against righties. Ideally, Tim Alderson would be my number 3 guy; however, he made no progress in performance this season so I can't count on him. Look for a trade or possibly a FA signing if I have any money to resolve this situation.

Please contribute your own, I would love to hear what people around the league think about their teams!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Goals for 2016

General discovered a new idea for team threads in sim leagues?
    Whoa.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Yeah, I guess so.

Taking the Alderson point a little further, my hypothesis regarding his lackluster performance hinged on his inability to perform in my park due to a low (in comparison) level of movement. However, his road ERA is over 6. If you look at fellow AL pitcher Nick Blackburn of Minnesota, he compiled a road ERA of 5.00 while having the same movement rating and far LOWER stuff rating. Although there is a strong correlation between mediocre movement ratings and poor performance, a rating of 7 should not, in my mind, lead to such poor statistics as Alderson showed.

MLB ERA

a bullpen that works would be nice and Paramore to actually hit like his ratings
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Alderson is similar to Jered Weaver during his 20's, you just have to temper your expectations cause one year he might post a reasonable ERA and the next, he pitches like he should be on Seattle.
    Ted

And even Weaver, with his originally 7 rating in movement, was able to put in a bunch of good seasons. I'm hoping Alderson is at least able to replicate the career that Weaver had. Hopefully, he will exceed it.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Goals for San Diego,

1. Find a Mo Williams to Michael Inoa's Lebron James. Cause Junichi Tazawa died, Gallagher's injury toned him down a bit, and I still don't know what to think of Sonny Gray (he's hot and he's cold, he's up and he's down).

2. Provide some outstanding off-season program for Bryce Harper, John Smith, Oscar Aguiar, and Destin Hood because that's the future of the lineup. In addition, we will pay for Perf Ed to attend "How to hit Righties" class so he might be a major league bencher.

3. Crown Chase Headley with a lifetime achievement award. Despite being a terrible defender, you have been one constant player to have been able to hit in this atrocious park called Petco. I call it Hell with bases.

4. Hire Timothy Olyphant to kill off Dustin Pedroia, Roy Corcoran, Brent Lillibridge, Andy LaRoche, and Junichi Tazawa for sucking or dying during a 90 win season. Big F.U.! Especially you Tazawa. I was happy when I signed you, reasonably cheap considering what bums get on the market. You gave me the first sign of hope for this season, and now you've ripped my heart out. BFFF NO MORE.

5. Sing lullabies to Nelson Marpons.
    Ted

True on Headley, his performance has been astounding when you consider the park he plays in.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Seattle Goals for 2016

1. Bowden (8-8-10), Lobstein (9-9-10) and Kiker (10-9-7) pitch to their ratings or near it.

2. Triunfel repeats last year with a little more power.

3. Win 77-81 games.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

DET Goals

1) Don't suck

that is all
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA

Atlanta goals:
    1) Just a little more development from Crow and Raffy will allow me to trade Lester and Hawpe, giving a youthful feel to the team again.

2) Prince and Aramis, it'd be nice for you guys to hit over .250. I mean, just a terrible year average-wise.

3) Meloan, my CLOSER, should have an ERA below 5....especially since he had an ERA below 2 just ONE YEAR AGO.

That's about it.

MLB ERA

Phillies
    1) Have one of my elite SP specs (Amell or Olivia) NOT lose talent this year.
    2) Get some OF that can hit the ball better than I could
    3) Win 81-85 games next year
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Phillies: World Series!!!
    Rookie ERA

Cleveland Indians:
    1) Have the guys on offense not underachieve for a second straight year. It'd be a record!

2) Fix the Bullpen who pretty much ruined the season.
    Yeah I don't really exist anymore
    Molina - Twins
    TSSL - A's
    TBL - A's
    PSL - Denver
    Fail Nobra

MLB ERA

Colorado Goals:

Continue to develop the prospects, and not have any of them die
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Rookie ERA

If Tate develops, and I get one more bat and a decent bullpen arm, I may have a pretty solid team... i'm stuck in that 75-82 win bracket right now, because you can't win with 2 beastly pitchers alone... my team is always near the bottom in runs scored. Votto was a breath of fresh air though, and I got him for A-Rod's corpse.
    S3SL: Cincinnati Reds GM 2014-present
    TSSL: Oakland A's GM 2006-present
    TPSL: San Francisco Baseball Giants 2007-present

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast