Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAQ, Compensation Rules, GM List, Slider Settings, etc.

MLB ERA

FAQ, Compensation Rules, GM List, Slider Settings, etc.

OOTP 6 Generated Website

================================================== ====

Part 1: Roster Changes

I am going to break this down into 4 parts. A, B, C, and a D.

A) Promotions/Demotions/Releases

Please, when you list out your promotions/demotions/releases, try to list them by position in this order:

SP
    MR
    CL
    C
    1B
    2B
    3B
    SS
    LF
    CF
    RF
    DH

It simply makes it easier on me, because that's the order the game engine lists the players. So instead of scrolling up and down through everyone's minor leagues, I can do them in order.
    Furthermore, if you have various call-ups and demotions ranging from A-MLB, bunch your A-AA promotions, AA-AAA, AAA-MLB (and so on, so forth) together.

Here is an example of what I'm looking for:

DEMOTIONS
    SP Scott Elbert (MLB to AAA)
    MR Matt Riley (MLB to AAA)
    C Russell Martin (MLB to AAA)
    SP Gil Carrasco (AAA to AA)
    MR Michael Guinn (AAA to AA)
    SP Mart Otte (AA to A)
    RF Pascual Montero (AA to A)

PROMOTIONS
    SP Bronson Arroyo (AAA to MLB)
    MR Ray King (AAA to MLB)
    C Dave Ross (AAA to MLB)
    LF Casey Blake (AAA to MLB)
    SP Kevin O'Neal (AA to AAA)
    MR Dallas Braden (AA to AAA)
    1B Samuel Reno (AA to AAA)
    SP Jason Barnes (A to AA)
    C Rene Martin (A to AA)

RELEASES
    SP David Armstrong (AAA)
    MR Aaron Heilman (AAA)
    SP John Slay (AA)
    CL Celso Pantaleon (AA)
    SP Aldo Domenech (A)
    MR Michael Nader (A)
    SS Mark Rollison (A)

It's really simple, even if it seems like excessive work. Any questions or suggestions, feel free.

b) Lineups

First and foremost, a big reason I am completely re-writing this FAQ is to make doing changes more convenient. I don't fault anyone for doing this, but very often I will get full line-up changes with only one position player swap in each line-up, and it just stalls me when I can't tell exactly what I am changing for a minute or two of staring at it. Part of that could be due to my stupidity, but these methods can help!

When filling out a line-up and presenting me with changes, there are other presentable methods I will accept if you're unable to follow some of these rules... but to make it easier to read when you have to make a change, I ask and recommend you do them like this:

Here is a 1-8 line-up:

LINEUP VS RHP Pos
    1) R T. Beckham SS
    2) L J. Pierre CF
    3) L K. Fukudome LF
    4) L B. DeWitt 2B
    5) R A. LaRoche 3B
    6) R R. Martin C
    7) S W. Betemit 1B
    8) R M. Kemp RF

If you are going to change the line-up around extensively, to the point where you're re-tooling everything, I understand the purpose of not balding. But if you're doing something like this, please bold your changes.

For example:

LINEUP VS RHP Pos
    1) L J. Pierre CF
    2) R T. Beckham SS

3) L K. Fukudome LF
    4) L B. DeWitt 2B
    5)S S. Spezio 3B
    6) R R. Martin C
    7) L J Loney 1B
    8) R M. Kemp RF

It really makes things easier on me, and in return for everyone else, I can say it will result in quicker sims on certain days. I know some of you use this method already, and it isn't a huge inconvenience. It would just help.

Quick notes:

- There are 4 line-ups. One vs. RHP, another vs RHP w/ DH, and one with LHP and then another with LHP w/ DH.

- Our league does have interleague, so filling out all line-ups is usually a good idea but it is not neccesary to do the opposing division's until that point in time comes.

- If you have the same line-up for all 4, or the same line-up for any pair of the 4 you have to fill out, please make note of it to save me and you time from writing it out and reading through it.

- If you have any depth chart changes, please include them right along the section with your line-up. Let it be noted I have no qualms with depth charts or entering them, but if you plan on overhauling your lineup and changing it a lot over the course of a few sims, it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep manually setting depth charts and makes more sense to have me let the computer set them. I will automatically auto your depth chart if they don't make mention of anything relating to it one way or another. It gives starters rest, and 95% of the time I find the CPU does a good job with finding playing time for subs for subs anyway.

- You can change a player's position if you'd like even if they're at the MLB level. Just make sure the player's name, their current level (A-MLB), and the position your changing them to and from is shown if you would like me to do this. You can change anyone's position from and to anything, but there's no guarantee they will adapt to their new position.

c) Pitching Staff

Please make note if you would like your rotation to be a 4-man or 5-man, and if you would like it to be in strict order, or have the most rested starter start on a daily basis.

Starting Rotation
    1) L C. Sabathia
    2) R C. Billingsley
    3) R K. Uehara
    4) R B. Penny
    5) L S. Elbert

Spot Starter
    While the spot starter slot doesn't show up on the league site, it is available. If wanted, please also state what percentage you would like your spot starter to start (anywhere from 1-100% is allowed to my knowledge).

Mopup Reliever
    1) L M. Riley
    2) R J. Fogg

Middle Reliever
    1) R Y. Brazoban
    2) R L. Vizcaino
    3) L B. Fuentes
    4) R J. Fogg

Setup Reliever
    1) R L. Vizcaino
    2) R T. Pena

Closer
    1) R J. Broxton

d) Team Strategies, Promotion Days, Position Changes, or other notes

Promotional days are days that increase fan interest, but cost money to schedule. You must have team cash to be able to schedule one, and it has to be during a home game.

Here is a picture of the options you have for the promotional days:

Team Strategies is a section within the OOTP game:

The first link is to a picture of the options for the team offense & defense tendencies. The second link shows the individual options for pitchers and hitters.

If you have a team strategy change, want to schedule promotion day, or have any other note that you need to make, place this part of your change at the top or bottom of your PM. In the case that you are making a team strategy change, unless you are maxing out a category, please indicate how many clicks from the center you would like me to move the bar. This is the most practical way to do this since it's hard to judge otherwise.

MLB ERA
    Part 2: Trading & The Trade Council

I will break this into 4 parts. A, B, C, and D.

a) Write-up Format

Team A sends:
    Position-Player Name-Star or Spect Rating-Salary
    Salary Subtotal: (Salary)

Team Y gives
    Position-Player Name-Star or Spect Rating-Salary
    Salary Subtotal: (Salary)

An example, from the trade board:

LAN sends:
    SP/MR James Adkins, 5.0 Spect ($ 300,000)
    MR Johnathan Meloan, 4.0 Stars ($ 596,429)
    OF Shane Robinson, 3.5 Stars (MLC)

$ Total:

ATL sends:

RF Cody Johnson, 5.0 Spect ($ 300,000)
    2B Kelly Johnson, 2.0 Stars ($ 1,378,571)

$ Total:

This is an acceptable format. There aren't really rules on how you write it out, as long as it includes all of these specifics.

When sending trades, BOTH teams must send a copy of the deal to me. Only then will I verify it and post it on the transactions board. We have had some confusions in the past, so this is a must now.

b) Trading Rules

There are three rules to trading:

1) No trading draft picks. This isn't the NBA.

2) As for limitations on trading, no three team trades. If you want to do a three team trade, work it out seperately and send it in at a seperate time. The game simply doesn't allow you to work it out in this fashion, and it's a pain to work around. Furthermore, 10 players per deal. That is for BOTH sides. It is all that the game will allow you to trade. I believe one side can trade 5 players, as well as cash. If you plan on trading any more than 10 players, break it up into seperate deals.

3) A limited amount of money may be included in a deal to help out the other side. You may send up to 2/3 of a players' salary for any deal to help pay for said players' contract. I don't recall what the past amount was, or if we even enforced it, but I believe this is a fair meeting point. It shouldn't be a rule that should come into play too much anyway, but one that is safe to have.

c) Trade Council

Trade council has been brought back. Not for any particular reason, but mainly because I feel all succesful leagues have one. A copy of the trade must be messaged and confirmed to be by both parties, and then I will then post it in the council board where it'll be voted on, and posted in the transaction board when passed. In the instance it fails, I of course will let each side know and you can then try to re-work it. Now, most trades pass, but the section below will cover some stuff to think about when trading and what the council gauges on when voting.

d) Hints & Tips when trading

(This portion is taken from within mission's original FAQ. It is a very good tool for new and stubborn GMs, so I am going to include it. Thanks to Mission!)

1. Consider the financial consequences. A trade is not only based on talent, money is a very big factor in trading. Always be sure to consider whether trading your 7-7-6 SP making 350k is worth upgrading to a better player, but absorbing 12.5 million in salary. Some times are in dire straits because they did not consider salary problems. Sometimes, finances can be more important then talent.

2. Be reasonable. GMs don't like to deal with other GMs who make ridiculous offers. If you want my SP with a 4.0 star rating who I put on the block, offer something good up, either a similar pro player or a great prospect, or maybe a lesser version of each.

3) More often then not, if a team has a trade block, and x player isn't on that block, he is either difficult to get or not available. If you make an offer for him, make it good or don't make it. Even better, inquire if said player can be gotten at all.

4) Make sure your trade has an upside for both teams. If I am going to trade a 2.5 SP for your 2.5 SP who has the exact same everything or who is very similar, what is the point unless I asked for such a thing?

5) Financials:

OK, here is how to judge if you can do a trade financially.

The team that takes on less salary has no problems, so this is only to the team taking on more salary.

Look at the format, specifically the subtotals of annual salary. Take the higher subtotal and subtract the lower subtotal, and compare it to your available FA money. If the subtotal amount is more then your available FA money, you cannot do a trade, if it is less, you can do a trade, for instance

PHI gives:
    Player X (9,000,000, SP, 4.5)

HOU gives:
    Player Y (1,000,000, 2B, 3.5)

OK, HOU receives the 9m dollar SP, so they take on 9 million dollars (SP) - 1 million dollars (2B), meaning they have to take on 8 million dollars.

HOU total FA money: 4,584,403

In this case, 8 million is more then the 4.5 million and change, so they could not make this trade.

6: Value of Players
    OK, the value of a player is different for everyone and I cannot tell people how to play. If anyone wants to submit their ideas of values, be my guest and I'll put them here.

I would like to add one thing to that list, from my standpoint from dealing with running a trade council and league...

It is not our job to oversee what deals are made, which GMs prefer what types of players to others, what a deal looks like on paper opposed to how the person running the team likes it, or anything like that. We're not trying to control the league, or anything like that. I believe in the year 2011 thus far we've only failed 2 trades in total.

Our job is to keep things fair. Not level, and I'm not saying we're trying to mold the league or anything, but we're here to make sure that nothing ridiculous happens when logic fails.

I hope you guys can understand this, and all I just ask is you guys try to be polite when a trade fails. Because when you boil it down and take the time to look at it, it likely isn't our fault the trade failed in the first place.

Thanks.

MLB ERA
    FREE AGENCY COMPENSATION RULES

1. Free agency will now be 5 rounds total every year. The first 4 rounds will all be compensentary now, and each will be simmed 5 days at a time, and then a final 10 day round which is compensentary free.

2. Class A type free agents will now grant a draft pick through the first 20 days (4 rounds), rather than only the first 10. Class B compensation will stay as it was, through the first 10 days (2 rounds). We feel this will help things and now people won't be able to or want to wait to sign free agents.

3. Class A type free agents will net compensation in the form of a pick from #16 overall to #45 overall, depending on the signing team.

4. Class B free agents will net compensation in the form of a pick from #46 overall to #75 overall, depending on the signing team.

5. The class of the free agents is decided by statistics. I changed some of the Class-A and B qualifications very slightly, but nothing dramatic. We also now have ratings act as a factor in compensation, but statistics still play the dominating role.
    Nonetheless, when signing FAs keep your eyes on ratings, because some players may not be rated in comparison to their class (meaning, 1-star players can infact be compensatary free agents, even type-a in a lot of cases. We will always post the list of who is a compensentary FA before free agency begins, but just keep your eyes peeled, because we don't want to fix anyone's snafu).

6. Ratings come into play in TWO situations now.
    a) injuries, in which case Hammer or I will decide if a player who had a lost season but was on pace and has a good history or not deserves to net a comp pick.
    b) players who didn't meet the statistical standpoint, whether it be due to a bad fluke season or what, will now have a chance to net your team comp pick through our new ratings requirements which is built around actuals and talent ratings. I will list the options below for this.

7) If you sign 2 players of the same class, the team whos player you signed officially FIRST, will be given the correct compensation. The team whos player you signed SECOND, will be given your NEXT ROUND pick, as well as a sandwich pick in between rounds, which we will work out by holding a certain player until the final round and then drafting him there for said team. It won't show up on the site as "drafted by such and such" team, but it will all work out the same and all the players and salaries will work out right.

This is known as the dave rule, since Diamond Dave initially asked the question which prompted this rule. To translate it and make it more understandable... and I'll use Dave as the example.

Dave signed Michael Young, a Class B free agent at the time, from the New York Yankees. Thus, the Yankees will be getting a 2nd round pick from Detroit, wherever he would pick in the draft. Now, let us assume dave signs another class b free agent that belongs to team X. He would send his 3rd round pick to team X, and team X would also get a sandwich pick in between rounds 2 and 3. Since OOTP 6.5/6.12 has limited draft options, we would use Dave's 12th pick in the draft for but save a certain player, whoever team X picked in this instance, and draft him at that place. Everything gets fixed post-draft, but this is just explanation as to how it works a little clearer.

============================================

New STATISTICAL Qualifications For Class A & Class B Free Agents

A) Class A hitter compensation will be decided by...
    1. A minimum of 500 PLATE APPEARANCES
    2. An OPS of .830 or higher

B) class B hitter compensation will be decided by...
    1. A minimum of 400 PLATE APPEARANCES
    2. An OPS of .750 or higher

C) Class A starter compensation will be decided by...
    1. A minimum of 200 IP
    2. 25 starts
    3. An ERA of 3.70 or lower

D) Class B starter compensation will be decided by...
    1. A minimum of 150 innings pitched
    2. 18 starts
    3. An ERA of 4.25 or lower

E) Class A reliever compensation will be decided by...
    1. Either 70 appearances or 70 IP
    2. An ERA under 2.85

F) class B reliever compensation will be decided by...
    1. either 50 appearances or 50 IP
    2. an ERA under 3.25

============================================

New RATINGS Qualifications For Class A & Class B Free Agents
    **Hitters must still have 500 PA to be elligible to qualify for Class A, or 400 PA to be elligible to qualify for Class B**
    **Relievers must still have 70 appearences or 70 IP to be elligible to qualify for Class A, or 50 appearences and 50 IP to be elligible to qualify for Class B**
    **Starters must still have a minimum 200 IP to be elligible to qualify for Class A, or 150 IP to be elligible to qualify for Class B**

Htter requirements:
    There are two different possible point totals, and if a player reaches either, they are elligible. Why two? Because lead-off men and power hitters are completely different in ratings, and points need to be added in a different fashion to reach a set number.

There are two formulas here.

1.) Add "Talent" and "Overall" ratings including contact, gap, power, eye/discipline, and avoid k's. The total for Class A is 80, class B is 75.
    2.) Add "Talent" and "Overall" ratings including contact, gap, eye/discipline, and avoid k's. That's still everything EXCEPT the power category. In place of it, add the player's running speed and stealing ability. Total for class A is 80, class B is 75.

Pitcher requirements:
    Two here. One for MRs, one for SPs since MRs usually tend to be rated better.

Add "Talent" and "Overall" Stuff, Control, and Movement.

SPs:
    Class A total: 55 points
    Class B total: 45 points

MRs:
    Class A total: 55 points
    Class B total: 50 points

However, requirements for innings, like I said above, still applies.
    Last edited by nick; 06-04-2009 at 09:07 AM.

MLB ERA

Master GM List (Updated 9/22/08)

AL East:
    Baltimore - theo
    Boston - Foster
    New York - perforatededge54
    Tampa Bay - General
    Toronto - Halladay_is_God

AL Central:
    Chicago (A) - HollywoodLeo
    Cleveland - Shadow29
    Detroit - DiamondDave
    Kansas City - Slyder
    Minnesota - Zodious

AL West:
    Los Angeles (A) - Doppelgänger
    Oakland - Providence A's
    Seattle - Porter99
    Texas - catman

NL East:
    Atlanta -ljshorty89
    Florida - Missionhockey21
    New York (N) - OriolesMagic
    Philadelphia - cjkalt
    Washington - Hafdawggy Dawg

NL Central:
    Chicago (N) - DMBZeppelin
    Cincinnati - albbla2000mu
    Houston - realmofotalk
    Milwaukee - browntown653
    Pittsburgh - Saber
    St. Louis - K-Krush

NL West:
    Arizona - Hammer
    Colorado - Giantsfan5689
    Los Angeles - nick
    San Diego - Kingdom_of_Zito
    San Francisco - bjd2933
    Last edited by nick; 06-04-2009 at 09:09 AM.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Rules Re: League FAQ

SPRING TRAINING

First off, you can go with the option of "Ask Coaching Staff" if you'd like and they'll do their recommended spring training moves. You can also do your own spring training modifications and go with Ask Coaching Staff. If you want me to go with the coaches' recommendations though, please post about it in this thread or PM me. If you don't post anything about spring training, I will leave it default.

Two more important things before I get into how spring training works.

Please limit your spring training mods to around 15 players.
    When listing your spring training mods, please seperate the batters from the pitchers, and if possible, it would be great if you could try to list the players in alphabetical order (not perfect alphabetical order, but just be the letter at the least).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...training-1.jpg

As you can see, the game seperates pitchers and batters into two categories, and lists it in alphabetical order. So when there is a lot of players listed, it would be much easier to scroll from top to bottom and just a lot quicker.

Hitters:
    Four categories (contact, power, eye, defense) with 20 points to spend for each player. You can also teach a position, but in order to do this, you'll have to spread out only 15 points and put 5 towards teaching a new position to the selected player.

Please list the points in this format:

Randall Simon: 5,5,5,5 +Learn Position (if needed)

There's a picture for more explanation if anyone's still confused.

Pitchers:
    Four categories (stuff, velocity, control, stamina) with 20 points to spend for each player. You can also teach a new role, but in order to do this, you'll have to spread out only 15 points and put 5 towards teaching the new role to the selected player.

Please list the points in this format:

Kevin Tapani: 5,5,5,5 +Learn Role (if needed)

Again, if anyone's confused still, there's a picture of the pitchers' spring training.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Re: League FAQ

Triple Play Sim League Upper Management

Commisioner:
    Nick

Co-Commishes
    Kingdom of Zito
    Hammer

Trade Council members:
    nick
    Kingdom of Zito
    Hammer
    Saber
    Browntown
    Providence A's
    Diamond Dave
    Halladay is God
    Giantsfan5689

Additional council voters:
    Mission & bjd2933

Voting is first to 3 votes. Essentially a best out of 5, whichever way reaches 3 votes first is the outcome, fail or pass. Anyone in council can vote, we just have a lot of members to keep things moving at slow times and for when council members have their own trades with eachother (since they cannot vote on their own trades).

League Site:
    OOTP 6 Generated Website

for retro purposes:
    OOTP 6 Generated Website
    Last edited by nick; 06-04-2009 at 09:06 AM.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Re: New FA Compensation Rules (Updated 7/24)

I've been trying to figure out a way to factor in ratings for awhile, and Zito and DMB helped give me some really good ideas. With their help, I wrote this up. As a result, in addition to the statistical method, I've decided ratings will also play a factor in free agency compensation active as soon as this offseason. I really don't see how it will make a big difference in much, seeing as how if you wanted to lock up a player, you probably were going to. And the ratings compensation will only help players in certain circumstances.

If a lot of people feel that the ratings system should be installed next year, you can let me know and I will consider it. But I think anything that can make free agency more interesting is worth trying, since it's usually so tame.

The way we did it works out really nice I think. If anyone has any questions, feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Re: Current League Totals, PCMs, PDMs, and Player Evaluation AI Setup Settings.

The 35% stats weight is critical information to have. I am curious to see how it works out. I have never (knowingly) participated in a league that puts that much weight on stats. 52% weight on the past two years statistics and 60% on the past 3 years. Has it been like this or is this new?

MLB ERA

I'm not going to lie, this could be a killer for Scott Kazmir in particular... ohh well i guess, just woulda been nice to know before i made moves
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I say it'll help, because if you look at it, unless you were ****in Rich Harden or Johan Santana, a well rated pitcher did absolutely horrible. Kazmir's ERA was nearly 5, worst year since the year he was mostly hurt.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by OrioleMagic View Post
    The 35% stats weight is critical information to have. I am curious to see how it works out. I have never (knowingly) participated in a league that puts that much weight on stats. 52% weight on the past two years statistics and 60% on the past 3 years. Has it been like this or is this new?
    If it doesn't work out, he can always change it. We'd all be playing under the same sliders.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    I say it'll help, because if you look at it, unless you were ****in Rich Harden or Johan Santana, a well rated pitcher did absolutely horrible. Kazmir's ERA was nearly 5, worst year since the year he was mostly hurt.

Yeah... I don't see how it could hurt Scott Kazmir at all? This will help even stats out I think... it's not going to make pitching or hitting stronger than the other.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by OrioleMagic View Post
    Been like this for awhile... it's the default OOTP setting and I feel it works well..

If you have any suggestions, or slight tweaks for them... I would be willing to try it. But I'm not promising anything.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Damn... though we were weighted more on ratings... that kinda sucks
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA

I kind of have to agree with Dave and OM. I think it should be weighted a bit more on ratings. I just feel like that's more fun
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast