Thread: Porter's 2015 FA Recap

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Porter's 2015 FA Recap

I will break down every signing and their potential impact on teams.

Player: Bill Hall
    Team (Contract): San Diego (3 Million over 2)
    Outlook: Hall is coming off his worst year of his career (.264/.316/.389, 9 HR, 51 RBIs in 2015) but has playoff experience. There are concerns with him being 35 that he could have the wheels fall off of his talent. 2016 could be a dead contract. Hall is expected to help turn a lineup over with his 9 contact rating. Projected to be a 8-9 hitter for an offense that struggled in 2014.

Player: Grady Sizemore
    Team (Contract): St Louis (9 million over 4)
    Outlook: Will the Cardinals get the Sizemore that had at least a .280 BA, 20+ HR, 90+ RBIs and 20+ SBs the last 4 years or the injury riddled 2014 version? St Louis is looking to compete and Sizemore potentially can be a piece to work with. The reality is with a rising Chicago Cubs team and the 2 time defending NL Champion Twins residing in the division, He is not that piece that is going to carry an offense. Great complimentary piece to a MVP type bat, but if hes the guy you are relying on to take them into the playoffs in the next 4 years. He will disappoint.

Player: Austin Jackson
    Team (Contract): Balitmore (6 million over 3)
    Outlook: Jackson is only 27 years old and is a solid piece to add to a good team in Balitmore. I like him to a poor mans Dustin Pedroia. A hitter than can play defense, run and hit to all fields. While he doesn't have the power that Pedroia has, Austin is good for 50+ doubles and 5-7 triples for a norm. He is primed to be Balitmore's leadoff hitter at the moment. I like the length of this contract as it gives him many options to either resign him, trade him (reasonable deal), or let him go for potential comp.

Player: Juan Rincon
    Team (Contract): St Louis (6.5 million over 4)
    Outlook: He is 36 years old and signed until he's 40. I doubt he will survive the contract. Let's face it here. He's solid in the regular season but if he gets to see the postseason with this team. There is a reason why Hammer wanted to throw him out of Chicago. His career postseason ERA: 6.06 in 32.2 IP. For as much as I liked Jackson's signing, I don't understand this signing for the money and length.

Player: Kristian Bell
    Team (Contract): Anaheim (2.5 million over 2)
    Outlook: Bell didn't walk a batter in 2014 through 25 innings pitched. In fact, he's only walked 16 batters total in his career. There are questions of him reverting back to the 2013 forum that had an above 7 ERA with an awful 1.72 WHIP. If he stays to the other 3 full seasons, he's the perfect compliment to Luis Coleman. The 6 movement rating is scary for this league.

Player: Brett Anderson
    Team (Contract): Philadelphia (300K over 3)
    Outlook: This is clearly a low risk, high reward signing. I don't think he will start the season in the ML. Brett has some electric stuff, striking out well over a batter per 9. The reason why is a low risk signing: 4 control and 4 movement. Shorty is hoping for a boost in both spots to make him a respectable #4-5 SP. Think Jakku Michinori without all the pitches.

Player: Masahiro Tanaka
    Team (Contract): Seattle (17.5 million over 5)
    Outlook: Raise your hand if you think Tanaka is a franchise changing starter. Keep them raised if you think he's a starter that could start games 1,4,7 and change a playoff series. No hands left? That's the logical way of explaining the contract. He's a borderline ace if his movement is a high 10, in reality hes a #2 starter that will be the 2nd highest paid starter in TBL. I guess being 25 would bring out a contract like this. But with the cap the way it is, I don't necessarily agree with it. I also don't think Seattle is in a spot to pass San Francisco right now for the west. Time will tell.

Player: Adrian Gonzalez
    Team (Contract): Kansas City (2.1 million over 2)
    Outlook: Gonzalez is no more than a warm body to put over at 1B. He still dished out 20 HRs last season, which is solid for this league. I don't see him being more than a contributor to a last place team while the farm develops for Kansas City. He has the potential to being a gold glove 1B though.

Player: Robinson Cano
    Team (Contract): Balitmore (3 million over 2)
    Outlook: Jay-Z would fire himself as an agent if this happened in reality. Cano is going to be a guy that has some potential to have a random monster year. Will he get on base enough to show signs of life though? He's average defensively and had a sub .300 OBP in 2014. Another low risk, high reward signing.

Player: Greg Golson
    Team (Contract): San Francisco (1.601 million over 3)
    Outlook: He got a 1.1 million dollar raise. How might you ask? Beats the hell out of me. He had by far the worst season of his career last season and overacheived in the 3 years before then. Greg can't hit LH a lick or spell the word "w-a-l-k". He's a 4th-5th OF at best vs RH only.

Player: Delwyn Young
    Team (Contract): St Louis (7.5 million over 4)
    Outlook: I like this signing better than the Sizemore signing for the Cardinals. He has been a solid performer that has a .800+ OPS the last 2 seasons. I think he is more of a DH with his lack of a glove. Young should contribute a lot to a Cardinal offense that was dead last in BA and Runs last seasons. But, like Sizemore, is a complementary piece to a superstar hitter.

Player: Austin Kearns
    Team (Contract): Minnesota (3.65 million over 1)
    Outlook: Since 2008, here is Austin Kearns's OPS: .615, .712, .713, .703, .779, .657. I don't think Slyder is fixing Austin at all. He is a decent replacement for all the walks Dunn had for the offense. Other than that, don't expect more than 100 RBI's from him.

Player: Miguel Olivo
    Team (Contract): San Diego (2 million over 4)
    Outlook: He is there for his defense. This signing is very similar to the acquisition of Molina from Anaheim. Don't expect a lot offensively but has the gun to limit base stealers and not have a ton of passed balls. He won't last to the end of his contract.

Player: Ken Harvey
    Team (Contract): San Diego (3 million over 1)
    Outlook: Harvey can kill LH pitching and will still own a job until that goes away or he retires. He is merely a LH platoon player at this point of his career. Probably a little bit of a overspend here but you can deny the 10 contact vs LH.

Player: Geraldo Gonzalez
    Team (Contract): Arizona (13.1 million over 6 years)
    Outlook: Leo just goes out and signs a younger version of Willy Mo Pena. We won't know if he will be a key cog as the cleanup hitter or a guy that hits sub .250 with 25+ HRs and strike out a lot. It's a big risk because of the unknown. Now that I typed this, he will have a MVP season in 2015. What will he do with Silvero Sanchez? Both guys can pick it on the defensive end.

Player: Brett Garnder
    Team (Contract): Chicago White Sox (4 million over 2)
    Outlook: His value comes with the 10-8-10 running ability and defense. Brett probably won't do a lot a damage with getting contact on the ball. When he does get on, he will be a weapon that can wreak havoc on opposing pitchers/catchers.

Player: Dave Williams
    Team (Contract): Philadelphia (400K over 1)
    Outlook: Where Brett Anderson was a low risk, high reward signing, Dave is a low risk, low reward signing. Sure he has 10 control, yet no stuff or movement to support that. He is a AAAA player at best.

Player: Steve Shell
    Team (Contract): San Francisco (5.601 million over 3)
    Outlook: I think this was the best signing of the FA period. He got a 21 game winner for 1/3 of the price that Tanaka got from Seattle. Steve has closing experience to go with his starting pitching. Should fit right in as #2-#3 pitcher with the benefit of a pitchers park. His problem will be going deep into games to help that SF bullpen.

Player: Huston Street
    Team (Contract): San Francisco (2.601 million over 3)
    Outlook: All Street did was eat up innings effectively (3.18 Career ERA, 14 HRs allowed in 435.1 IP). He won't close out games and is the rare RH that is better vs LH hitting. There are warning signs that lead to Street imploding with the declining K/9 and rising H/9.

Player: Deacon Burns
    Team (Contract): Chicago White Sox (6 million over 3)
    Outlook: Hammer clearly added a new dimension with the Burns/Garnder signings. Burns can run and play defense just like Garnder and has the better all around bat. Can either guy get on base enough to manufacture runs for the White Sox? Only time will tell.

Player: Shawn Hill
    Team (Contract): Baltimore (3 million over 1)
    Outlook: It's amazing to see that Street was not as talented as Hill despite both pitchers being better vs LH as righties. Huston has had the better career numbers when you do compare the two guys. The difference? Hill was a starter for most of his career and is better as a MR then a SP. It will be interesting if Haf follows the role in the pen like Trendy did.

Player: Landon Powell
    Team (Contract): San Francisco (601K over 2)
    Outlook: Why all the signings for 601K at the end OM? Landon is a butcher defensively and everyone can run on his 3 arm. Backup/LH platoon hitter at best.

Player: Francisco Rodriguez
    Team (Contract): Seattle (6.5 million over 4)
    Outlook: He has been declining the last 4 years when you compare what he did in Atlanta. I don't think hes worth the 6.5 M over 4. K-Rod will be a solid closer for this year and maybe next year. The last 2 years are going to be unknown, maybe a setup man or he might stay intact.

Player: Jamie Vermilyea
    Team (Contract): Minnesota (2.75 million over 1)
    Outlook: Slyder better hope he doesn't get the pitcher that had a 2+ WHIP last season and the one that has a career 3.59 ERA/1.30 WHIP instead. If the 2014 version shows up, free passes and hits for everyone!

Player: Corey Patterson
    Team (Contract): San Diego (5 million over 3)
    Outlook: Corey has a solid bat that can hit to all fields. The downfall: He's erratic on the basepaths (15+ CS the last 4 seasons) and fields RF like Manny Ramirez. He would be best to contribute as a DH that has a red light to stealing bases.

Player: Jesse Crain
    Team (Contract): Balitmore (3.5 million over 1)
    Outlook: Jessie Crain's numbers for his career are probably the best among the MR's. He is coming off his best season of his career and has a solid postseason career. I think he could have gotten more years in the market. Potential steal of a signing.

Player: Eric O'Flaherty
    Team (Contract): Los Angeles (750K over 3)
    Outlook: Eric has seen the major league mound for 17 outs since 2012. This is with Anaheim and Chicago (N). He is the token lefty of the Dodger bullpen. Purely a stopgap.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

Re: Porter's 2015 FA Recap

Player: Jamie Vermilyea
    Team (Contract): Minnesota (2.75 million over 1)
    Outlook: Slyder better hope he doesn't get the pitcher that had a 2+ WHIP last season and the one that has a career 3.59 ERA/1.30 WHIP instead. If the 2014 version shows up, free passes and hits for everyone!

See Velarde 2013, he's there to bridge the middle relief for a year or get stashed in aaa if he struggles.

Player: Austin Kearns
    Team (Contract): Minnesota (3.65 million over 1)
    Outlook: Since 2008, here is Austin Kearns's OPS: .615, .712, .713, .703, .779, .657. I don't think Slyder is fixing Austin at all. He is a decent replacement for all the walks Dunn had for the offense. Other than that, don't expect more than 100 RBI's from him.

If he gets to 100 rbi's I would consider this contract a steal, I needed some more targets for outfield as many of the 1bs wouldn't listen (McPhearson). I also got him as another (I hope) high obp, not sure about where in the lineup he'd bat but it won't be leadoff or 3-5.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Porter View Post
    Player: Geraldo Gonzalez
    Team (Contract): Arizona (13.1 million over 6 years)
    Outlook: Leo just goes out and signs a younger version of Willy Mo Pena. We won't know if he will be a key cog as the cleanup hitter or a guy that hits sub .250 with 25+ HRs and strike out a lot. It's a big risk because of the unknown. Now that I typed this, he will have a MVP season in 2015. What will he do with Silvero Sanchez? Both guys can pick it on the defensive end.
    Sanchez keeps third base. Defense is his main contribution. Gonzalez either plays out of position at 1st base or plays DH with Mitch Maier moving to 1st base.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Hall of Famer
    AA ERA

Any chance we get your recap of free agency sim #2? I was hoping to hear thoughts on my signings, because I didn't have any the first sim.
    TBL Washington 2005-2018: 1212-1056 (.534) 1 WS Title
    MSL Philadelphia Phillies - 2 W.S. Title
    Free Gift Cards, and Cash: http://www.instagc.com/27076

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'll get to it later today.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Glad I was able to sign Tanaka. I thought someone would have offerec 20 million per. Maybe I was able to get a discount..

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I was going to offer $19.5 mill for 5 years, but he didn't like my org.
    rf28

MLB ERA

I was going to offer him but I already have three starters better than him

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He didn't like me in either league

MLB ERA

Nice recap of day one.

MLB ERA

I am still under the cap. I wanted the first baseman too. But I only offered five years.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Player: Denny Bautista
    Team (Contract): St Louis (5.5 million over 4)
    Outlook: Bautista at this point in his career is a #3-4 SP. He's very good at not allowing too many HRs (4 HR in 162.2 IP). The concern is that is H/IP was over 1 per last season. Slight overpay that is compounded by St Louis crippling financial situation.

Player: John Danks
    Team (Contract): Los Angeles (1.75 million over 4)
    Outlook: Danks is a lefty that does better vs righties. Low risk, high reward signing that is suspect to allowing more homeruns that a batting practice pitcher (allowed roughly a HR per 6 innings pitched in 2014). Hopefully pitching in Los Angeles's marine air will help limit the damage.

Player: Dallas McPherson
    Team (Contract): Kansas City (4.8 million over 2)
    Outlook: This is a sneaky good signing by the Royals. The ability to play 4 positions well and his near .500 slugging percentage could bring some trade value at the trade line. I don't see Kansas City keeping him both years. At the same time, It took CJ 2.5 seasons to trade Humber.

Player: Jose Valverde
    Team (Contract): Chicago White Sox (3.5 million over 1)
    Outlook: Declining 35 year old middle reliever that has had 3 of his last 4 seasons with over a 5+ ERA. He will bring some fan interest (3 national popularity). Outside of that, Jose will be nothing more than a mopup reliever to eat innings at best. Maybe he can turn back the clock like he did in 2012.

Player: Jake Dittler
    Team (Contract): Washington (2 million over 1)
    Outlook: Dittler is a frustrating pitcher to have on your team. A 10 movement pitcher that can't allow less then a hit per inning (1.55 WHIP in his career). He has never shown any consistency at any point in his career. Good luck getting more than 50 effective innings pitched from him.

Player: Jimmy Rollins
    Team (Contract): San Diego (1.5 million over 1)
    Outlook: San Diego is in a tough spot. They have some great pitching but it's offense isn't on Anaheim's or Arizona's level. This signing does nothing to help them with the bat. I do like this from a defensive standpoint but nothing more. The question remains as this: Can he hit enough to stay in the lineup?

Player: David Wright
    Team (Contract): Philadephia (1.2 million over 1)
    Outlook: Don't let Wright hit against a lefty and he might have value off the bench for the Phillies. He's lighting in a bottle with his power, but don't rely on him to carry your team. If he gets more than 200 AB's, it will be long season for the NL East favorite.

Player: Jason Perry
    Team (Contract): Kansas City (1.8 million over 1)
    Outlook: Perry has talent but it hasn't translated at all. You would think he would do better than the .659 OPS last season. I think this was a signing on potential, nothing more.

Player: Enrique Gonzalez
    Team (Contract): Chicago Cubs (3.1 million over 2)
    Outlook: I don't know what it is with KoZ and I trading players back and forth. I couldn't afford to keep him and he got him at a steal of a contract. He can start or throw effectively in the pen. Enrique hasn't allowed a homerun since 2013.

Player: Jason Kubel
    Team (Contract): Philadephia (3 million over 2)
    Outlook: Another fantastic signing. Kubel has had a .775+ OPS in three of his last four seasons. Platoon player be damned, hes good for 15+ HR and 70+ RBIs. Probably a #6 hitter to compliment the heart of the order.

Player: Jose Nunez
    Team (Contract): Chicago Cubs (4.1 million over 1)
    Outlook: Why did a 35 yr old get 4 million this offseason? Jose's last 6 seasons for ERA: 1.93, 2.21, 3.90, 2.35, 2.67, 2.41. Yeah you read that right. His worst season of that bunch, he was a closer. Nunez is premier setup man even at his advanced age.

Player: Chris Shelton
    Team (Contract): Washington (2.5 million over 1)
    Outlook: Will he play at catcher or first base for the AL Champion Nationals? His strength is his ability to get free passes. The thing is he is mediocre to average in everything else.

Player: Kris Honel
    Team (Contract): San Francisco (4.601 million over 3)
    Outlook: How did Honel get more than Nunez this offseason? Take out a crazy 2013 (.78 ERA, 1.13 WHIP in 23 IP) and his numbers read like this: 4.13 ERA, 1.46 WHIP. I think the Giants will be let down with this signing.

Player: Todd Jennings
    Team (Contract): Arizona (600K over 2)
    Outlook: Todd has a decent arm and he's only hitting left handed pitching. Tumbleweeds had a more significant buzz over this signing.

Player: Ben Sheets
    Team (Contract): Cleveland (2 million over 1)
    Outlook: Ben Sheets has had an effective career. It's hard to believe that he has had 7 career postseason starts. He does show promise as a reliever but nothing more than that. His starting days could be past him.

Player: Ryan Howard
    Team (Contract): Minnesota (3.5 million over 1)
    Outlook: All I got to say about this is: Over/under for Ks will be 100 off the bench or 175 as a starter.

Player: Trevor Clowe
    Team (Contract): Kansas City (1.4 million over 1)
    Outlook: He's a warm body to take at bats during the rebuild. Trevor could get 20+ SBs in this offense. That's it.

Player: Nelson R Cruz
    Outlook: See Trevor Clowe, Sub stolen bases for 15+ HRs.

Player: BJ Upton
    Outlook: I see a sub .200 batting average, upton here, upton here.

Player: Brent Clevlen
    Team (Contract): Balitmore (2.5 million over 1)
    Outlook: If his career tendency is true, expect a sub .700 OPS this season.

Player: Oscar Villareal
    Team (Contract): Washington (1.5 million over 1)
    Outlook: The good news was Oscar didn't allow a home run in 37 innings pitched last. The bad news was he had a 5.79 ERA to go with a 20/18 K/BB.

Player: Scott Proctor
    Team (Contract): Washington (2 million over 1)
    Outlook: I bet you OOTP will break Scott like Ivan Drago broke Apollo Creed this season.