if you thought BJ Ryan was a big loss then this will hurt more

TSN : MLB - Canada's Sports Leader

Canadian Press

5/11/2007 7:38:24 PM

TORONTO (CP) - A case of acute appendicitis will sideline ace Roy Halladay for 4-to-6 weeks in the latest, and perhaps most severe, blow to the Toronto Blue Jays this season.

The four-time all-star underwent surgery Friday evening after arriving at the Rogers Centre looking pale and with a sharp pain in his lower right abdomen in the early afternoon.

Trainer George Poulis immediately recognized the symptoms and took the 2003 Cy Young Award winner to hospital, where an examination confirmed the problem and surgery was scheduled.

Halladay was still in the operating room when a subdued J.P. Ricciardi, the Jays GM, made the announcement during a hastily arranged news conference in the press box dining room.

''I go back to the Abraham Lincoln quote, he stubbed his toe and said, `I'm too old to cry and it hurts too much to laugh,''' Ricciardi said. ''I'd probably say that's apropos right now.''

Halladay was placed on the 15-day disabled list although no corresponding roster move was announced. Ricciardi hinted at a series of possibilities, from pulling Casey Janssen out of the bullpen to pulling someone out of triple-A or even double-A. Josh Banks, Ty Taubenheim, David Purcey and Jesse Litsch will likely get some consideration.

And Troy Glaus left tonight's game after the 1st AB, limping off, likely hamstring or his heel again.