Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade talk etiquette debate

MLB ERA

Nationals Trade talk etiquette debate

Update: WHEN YOU MESSAGE ME, DON'T JUST TELL ME WHO YOU LIKE. I put my needs on there for a reason, just telling me what you like doesn't do me any good. Start a negotiation, offer someone, and we'll go from there. Forgot my biggest pet peeve of trade etiquette. Throw out names from your team so I don't have to search. Otherwise I won't respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Re: 2024 Nationals Trade Block

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Update: WHEN YOU MESSAGE ME, DON'T JUST TELL ME WHO YOU LIKE. I put my needs on there for a reason, just telling me what you like doesn't do me any good. Start a negotiation, offer someone, and we'll go from there. Forgot my biggest pet peeve of trade etiquette. Throw out names from your team so I don't have to search. Otherwise I won't respond.
    I have not PMd you, but trade etiquette does not dictate that a GM make an opening offer for someone on your block. Many times we look over each other's roster to see if we can narrow things down. I find the underlined sentence a bit counter-productive to good trade relationships. I do agree that GMs should be ready to mention a few players, but to say you won't respond will likely only hurt you and lead to more inactiveness. Just sayin'.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I have PM'd you and there were 4 names on that one that I sent you and haven't gotten a response.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

I agree with OM.

You're the one selling these guys, it seems silly to me to completely ignore potential customers. It would be like having a yard sale and refusing to sell something to somebody because they asked you how much you want for the item instead of offering a price.

The majority of my trades have started with someone just telling me they have interest. Then I search through their roster and find some players I like and work it out from there. Works out great for me, not sure why you see it as added unnecessary work. I'm sure you're going to have to look through the other team's roster at some point anyway because I doubt you just blindly take whatever offer the other GM initially sends you.

I have had some trades that started out with an offer or list of available players and I do see the added convenience to it, but to flat out ignore GMs who initially only express interest? You're only hurting yourself.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He's rusty from chasing all the kangaroo around. Give him time to shake it off, mate.

MLB ERA

^ What Zito said.

Sorry I didn't respond to you Porter, I figured it's easier for you and I to talk on FB, so I was going to respond on there. You did fine. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find PM's that say "I'm interested in Players A, B, and C" and stop there to be useless. Can you imagine a GM in the majors phoning another GM and just saying that? It wouldn't get him anywhere I imagine.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

^ What Zito said.

Sorry I didn't respond to you Porter, I figured it's easier for you and I to talk on FB, so I was going to respond on there. You did fine. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find PM's that say "I'm interested in Players A, B, and C" and stop there to be useless. Can you imagine a GM in the majors phoning another GM and just saying that? It wouldn't get him anywhere I imagine.
    Quite the contrary. GM 1 posts players on his block. GM 2 says I'm interested, check my roster or my block. GM 1 should then come back after putting forth some effort and say, I would be interested in one of a list of players, or a package from a list of players that GM 1 has identified. This allows both GMs to sense what the other GM is looking for and negotiate to that end, or reach an impasse.

OOTP is not Carmax or one-price shopping! There must be haggling. LOL

MLB ERA

Haha just seems unnecessary to me. If someone is really interested in trading with me, they'll come to me with something basic already laid out, and you haggle from there. Different strokes!

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

It's a sim league. This is not MLB. It's supposed to be fun. Trading requires some work on both parties. Why would one person do all the work? For the reward of being able to say they completed a trade with you? OK.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

^ What Zito said.

Just send a Facebook message. That works too.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Trade talk etiquette debate

We've had a lot of sim league debates, but I don't know if trade talk etiquette has been one. So.. ::cracks administrative knuckles::
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

I wasn't going to further comment on the matter because I didn't want to keep derailing NYGF's trade block, but since it's its own discussion now...

When I send someone an "I'm interested" message with not much more I view it as a simple conversation starter.

At some point in the trade talks both parties will inevitably begin searching the other GM's roster for players they like and refining whatever offer that's currently on table. It seems kind of silly to me to nitpick who begins with the initial offer.

If somebody comes at me with an offer right away, that's great. But I'm still going to take the time to look at his roster and see if I can find a better one so I'm not really doing any more work than I otherwise would have had he just said "I'm interested in player x".

I have no problem with somebody telling me who they are interested in, I'll counter by telling them what I'm looking for in return and which players of theirs I'd like.

My pet peeve is when people PM me they are interested but don't tell me their team name, so I have to click each team to find out which team they are on.

MLB ERA

Yeah, I don't like that either.

There are some exceptions, GM's who I deal with a lot so I already know who they are.

But GMs should really be in the habit of letting the other team know who they are because we don't all have the GM list memorized.

I usually put the Padres icon attached to my PM's (or the Brewers one when I was in S3SL).

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

My philosophy is that.... Impossibles should answer my PM from 5 years ago.

Ok ok, it was like a week ago. But, that's an eternity in BS years.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast