Thread: The Free Agents, part 2.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Free Agents, part 2.

Continuing with the free agents in part 2, as we take a look at the outfield and the pitchers. I was side tracked by The Dead Zone. It happens.

Centerfield: Your captain of the outfield, the man who must cover the most territory and protect ...his house? Just about any outfielder can play centerfield. But only a few are actually good at it. Suffice to say, the trend continues with limited choices.
    1. Preston Wilson, 33
    The Risk: His stats are bloated due to the fact that he works best in a hitters park. And you know he loves to swing, and miss, quite a lot. His 147 strikes were the most in one season for him since his 187 mark in 2000.
    The Reward: He did walk almost 80 times, big wahoo right there. He went for 20-20, almost 100 rbis and a lovely .328 average. I don't know where he hit in the batting order, but given those details, and his ratings, he should be a given for 100 rbis or more. He has quality defense, which is important at this position. He can still run, 28 steals in 33 tries is an indication.
    The Answer: Might be the best offensive player here. Even then, don't go nuts on him. Take in to account that his best seasons have been at Coors, the nightmare in Cincy, and Miller Park. He's been normal at Pro Player and Kauffman's. So if you play in a pitcher's park, I would advise against signing him big. Also note he hasn't hit 30 homeruns since his first season with Colorado. He might not be the big power guy you need.

2. Garret Anderson, 35
    The Risk: Being of that age, and will be 36 later in the season, it could be very strenuous on him to play an entire season there. He also comes off an average season, his worst since... well, his career worst was in fact 2007.
    The Reward: He comes off that kinda season, but it was Louisville and God knows that had to be the worst place for anyone to play last season. He's a professional hitter in every sense, and doesn't take walks nore strike out much. He's got a good glove and still might run on you.
    The Answer: A long term deal is the real risk here. For two years, he'll probably be worth a solid amount of cash. You can't really expect big power numbers, he's more of a sweet swinging guy. Hitting .290 is more likely than .261. I'd also expect 20 homeruns and 80 plus rbi's compared to 10 and 66 respectively. But that's just a guess.

3. Carlos Beltran, 30
    The Risk: In all honesty, he should be #2 on this list. But here's a couple of things that complicate matters. One is, 2005 and 2007 he was just some bum in the outfield, hitting a combined 30 homeruns and an average under .260. Also an extension of this fact, in SBSL, he has never hit more than 21 homeruns. And the B.O.B. is a nice place to hit. Second fact, his ratings are strong, but not great. His numbers, sometimes solid, sometimes ugly. Fact is, he wanted over 8 million to resign.
    The Reward: He can turn out to be a good weapon. He's got the defense, he's got the speed. He's an easy 30-30 guy. He could be a whole hell of a lot of things.
    The Answer: But he hasn't been really any close to those things. In 2006, he did hit over .300, but with only 21 homeruns. The man runs the bases with the best of them, 149 steals in three seasons, next to just being caught 27 times. Factor in though, his power isn't eye popping nor is his OBP consistent, making it troubling as to where he fits in the batting order. I don't doubt someone will make the mistake and overpay him. Be mindful of the numbers folks. I admit, I'd like to have the guy, but he's not worth 8 million. Or 7 million. Is he worth 6 ish? 5 ish? You answer that.

4. Milton Bradley, 29
    The Risk: Does lack power, consistency, and is another casualty of the poor strikeout to walk ratio.
    The Reward: Given the lack of power, his offensive career has been solid. In 2005, he hit only 9 homeruns, but drove in 80. He can run, even though 2006-2007 have been kind of rough. He has good defense. His OBP aside from last season has been strong for a #2 type guy. And like 1-3, this man has a good glove.
    The Answer: In 2005, he was an allstar. In 2006, he slumped hitting .253. And in 2007, he logged 506 ab's and missed about 6 weeks with varying injuries. He's mystery in many senses. He hits righties well, but does even better against lefties, thus he's certainly an everyday guy. He doesn't command big bucks, but he could really help someone in need of a centerfielder.

5. The Rest
    Alex Sanchez can run some, play a little defense but in the end he just has too many downsides offensively. Ruben Rivera will hit you some homeruns, play some defense, strikeout a lot and steal your best player's shoes. Same stance for Ricky Ledee, just weaker on the defense and probably will have an even crappier batting average. Chris Singleton and Chad Hermansen have met their timely demise. Luis Matos and Mark Kotsay both play here as well, and, they play fantastic defense. Kinda iffy on everything else.

Right Field: I always like to think of the RF'er having a cannon for an arm. I think of Vlad, Ichiro, Raul Mondesi back fifty years ago, Jose Guillen, Abreu... just fantastic arms. Instead, this pool offers me memories of Karim Garcia and Terrence Long. Wait, Karim Garcia? Who is.. Karim Garcia?
    1. Luis Matos, 29
    The Risk: Probably would choke like Eric Chavez against lefties. Hello Juan Uribe again. 151 strikeouts against 46 walks is outstanding!
    The Reward: Has a little pop, and if he just faced all righties, he has more pop than people would ever think. He's strong defensively here and in center. Oh, he's freaking fast. Four straight seasons of 50 or more stolen bases.
    The Answer: I'll just make a person cry and say that you don't want a guy with an OBP of barely over .300. I was kinda excited about this guy till I saw those numbers. That's heart breaking really. Granted, people really don't care if a man strikes out 150 times or has an OBP of .309 but due consider that one of the premiere lead off men in the game checks in with a career OBP of .372 and has averaged under 39 strikeouts per season in the last four seasons. That man is Ichiro. Luis Matos ain't Ichiro folks.

2. Jermaine Dye, 34
    The Risk: He's tough to judge, 2006-2007, he managed only a total of 95 at bats. His OBP was worse than Matos' in his last season as an everyday guy (.297). He won't hit many doubles.
    The Reward: The 8 in power suggests he can hit some homeruns. But he's quite rigid elsewhere. At least he'll be rested.
    The Answer: His last contract was a minor league deal. Aaaahem. Cough. Get my drift? His defense is average, he doesn't even have the great arm he used to have. He might do some things offensively, but don't burn cash on him. Try food stamps.

3. Mark Kotsay, 32
    The Risk: Has been really a bench guy for the last couple of seasons. I don't think he's going to be much of a hitter either.
    The Reward: The defense is still there. He can still run too. The last season he saw significant amount of playing time, he did hit .296
    The Answer: That was in 2005. Not much power, doesn't look to have much interest judging by past playing time. He has better discipline that you'd find in Terrence Long though.

4. Terrence Long, 31
    The Risk: It's been since 2003 since he last had 300 plus at bats. He has limited power, and doesn't plan to walk much either.
    The Reward: Mostly the same as for Kotsay, defense and speed. He has a little bit better chance in making contact too.
    The Answer: A cheap serviceable veteran, is the most he's worth.

The Rest
    Karim Garcia has power, and some defense, but he's not going to be pretty. George Lombard might be worth 300k or a minor league contract, given especially if you're looking at Matos. The guy has good defense, can run, and is about the same worth offensively. He just hasn't played at all since 2003. Ryan Klesko is still around, but don't get excited. Willie Bloomquist might.... do shit. Who wants Willie Bloomquist?

Left Field: You thought right field was bad?
    1. Jolbert Cabrera, 35
    The Risk: Well, he's 35. And he's Jolbert Cabrera. Who?
    The Reward: When someone gave him a chance, he hit .290. He has no power, but he's going to make a lot of contact. Can run sometimes too. Defensively, he's ok. But the kicker is, I could have listed him for every damn position except for catcher and pitcher. He plays everywhere. Now that's exciting.
    The Answer: I deem him a guy, don't give a lot, but if you get him, might really do you well at the top of the lineup. Maybe the gem of the positional players. Granted, you'll never find Cabrera #1 in anything ever again... take a snapshot of this article.

2. Eli Marrero, 34
    The Risk: Really an OK hitter at best.
    The Reward: He plays catcher. He runs well. He has some pop. He plays several other positions. He used to be a brave. Go braves.
    The Answer: My bet is he gets signed to be a catcher. Which doesn't surprise me, cause C equally sucks in this pool.

The Rest
    Geoff Jenkins has defense, has an arm, has power, and will make you cry with 179 strikeouts. Jacque Jones really fell hard. He could win a platinum glove, steal a lot of bases, strike out a lot, and just in general suck a lot at the plate. I smell reservist. Chad Meyers is better offensively than Jones, and probably even Jenkins, but he has no defense. Rondell White and David Dellucci are still around if you want the joy of someone retiring from your team after 2008.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Starting Pitchers: By in large, you have some quality guys. Hey, we even have a 22 year old. ...Right.
    1. Roy Oswalt, 30
    The Risk: Not much risk.
    The Reward: He has good ratings, he has the endurance, he can over power hitters, he can move well on the mound, he has good consistency, am I boring you?
    The Answer: This would be the crown jewel of the free agents. This is your best shot at an ace without giving up a great player. You're just going to have to dish out the cash, cause he's probably the highest priced man on the market.

2. Eric Milton, 32
    The Risk: Are you afraid of his age?
    The Reward: He's a solid lefty. We like solid lefties. He throws hard. Hard throwing lefties are nice to have.
    The Answer: His consistency is not like Oswalts, he's also older, and not as good against lefties opposed to righties. However, he's #2 because he has control.

3. C.C. Sabathia, 27
    The Risk: You drool at the age and the ratings, but realize his control is iffy sometimes and he's coming off a blah season.
    The Reward: Oh, he owns lefties. Kiss them goodnight. He can throw hard, he can light up the box score in innings, and he's a lefty. He's also 290 lbs, so he can a tackle a speeding Adam Dunn..
    The Answer: I believe that this man will beckon the 2nd most attention next to Oswalt. And since he's only 27, he might get a bigger contract. Though he doesn't deserve more cash than Roy, he also might command the most moolah.

4. Joel Pineiro, 29
    The Risk: Seems to come out of the gate slowly. Can you be patient?
    The Reward: While maybe not impressive as the three before him, Pineiro has proven to be a solid starter who certainly logs in innings. He has more control and endurance than Arroyo, even if Arroyo might have the sex appeal. Not that anyone should want to sex cornrows.
    The Answer: 2004-2007 sum it up, he's logged in 220 plus innings three times, had an ERA under 4 three times, and has kept the WHIP under 1.25. Name wise, he doesn't have what CC or Roy have, but he does the job. Gauging the level of money he's worth, I'd expect 5 to 8 at least dropped on Joel. He could use a winner, his win-loss basically reflects how bad my franchise has been. Harrrrrrk.

5. Bronson Arroyo, 30
    The Risk: In 2006, he walked 92 people. His WHIP has been floundering around 1.40 for the last couple of seasons. His endurance is not great, he hasn't hit 200 innings yet.
    The Reward: Fancy pitching, as told by the ratings on his stuff and movement. 2005 has proven to be a fluke in terms of homeruns allowed. Then, he gave up 25. In the next two seasons, just 14 combined. And just 11 in 2004. He seems to do many things a Derek Lowe did.
    The Answer: This is a pitcher you can't throw money at because he doesn't carry you deep into games enough. He also can get into control problems, and that can kill a team. While he may play the guitar well, and provide timely entertainment, be warned about offering Bronson a fat contract.

6. Jimmy Barthmaier, 24
    The Risk: He's a rookie, who's not done developing. He doesn't have the velocity that 1-5 have either. Control will be an issue.
    The Reward: Well, he's only 24, who knows what could happen. As it stands, he's probably not worth starting in the rotation, but his potential deems he'll be Arroyo'esque. He also have a nice variety of pitches.
    The Answer: His age is attractive, his potential will gain viewers as well, but ultimately he won't be a big dollar guy. You can't bank a lot of cash when you don't know if he'll even develope fully. And even fully, how much is an 8-8-4 guy worth?

7. Todd Ritchie, 36
    The Risk: His age will be the biggest factor. He has had very little success in his career. He gave up 22 homeruns in 2007.
    The Reward: Flip the script on this veteran. 2007 was also his 2nd best season ever. His era was a modest 4.03 and he logged nearly 200 innings. But his record was 5-16, indicating Baltimore was not the best of teams, obviously.
    The Answer: A two year deal to be your 4th or 5th man in the rotation makes the most sense. While he has control, and good stuff, the lack of movement will make him a nice target to go deep. Be careful if you play at a small park in persuing the man.

8. Ryan Snare, 28
    The Risk: Little control leaves him vulnerable often.
    The Reward: He has the ability to throw nasty stuff. 43 k's in 54 innings is solid. In 2006, he had a season similar to Arroyo or Ritchie. He can log a lot of innings as well.
    The Answer: Minimal price on this man, as his control pretty much kills all of his value. He's a lefty who can be a workhorse, but he also might consistently walk 4-5 people a game.

9. Ching-Lung Lo, 22
    The Risk: Another rookie. His potential is average, as is his current ratings. Another victim of poor control.
    The Reward: It's simple, he's 22. Who the Hell knows what he's going to be by 25 or 26. He might be well worth a stab. He has a good mix of pitches, and doesn't have endurance problems.
    The Answer: I'd advise a minor league deal, but if you go for real dollars, and avoid a big figure, he might pan out for you. If it helps any, unlike Barthmaier, Lo has had a good minor league career.

10. Andy Pettite, 35
    The Risk: He'll be 36 during the 2008 season. His ratings have tailed off. He's nearing the end of his career.
    The Reward: Even with that said, he turned in a 9-1 2007 season with a sub 4 era. He only walked 16 in 92 innings. He is still durable.
    The Answer: And successful. You can say his ratings are turning to goo, but he still got the job done. He might be a good insurance policy in the event of a serious injury. Take a pass on him if you play a small park, he's very prone for the longball.

11. The Rest
    John Thomson has solid all-around ratings, but doesn't eat up innings. Mike Gosling may be 27, but as first hand experience, I watched his ratings go from very bad to not so bad. He might continue. Chan Ho Park hasn't had a really bad season yet, but 2006 and 2007 were only average. Damian Moss might prove to be a decent lefty, he hasn't had a lot of chances, but has done o.k. in what he's gotten. Miguel Batista logged in over 200 innings in 2007, but needless to say they weren't very good innings.

The Middle Relief: I can testify that you can never have enough good relievers. Sadly, I had..maybe two. But anyways! I see limited help here, and as a bit of advice, I may have changed a pitcher's role around a little. It might just be of service to you.
    1. Cliff Politte, 33
    The Risk: You might be wondering, so let me say it now, I made Nathan and Benitez closers. Ok, this guy hasn't got much of a chance in several seasons. Sadly, he posted a 7 plus era in his limited duty at Mission's camp.
    The Reward: I don't think he's a 7 plus era guy. His ratings say he can do mostly everything, so walks and homeruns should not be a big issue. He's not really a set up guy though.
    The Answer: His last deal was a little over 700k. Your best bet is keeping his contract in that area. 33 innings in two seasons is not very much, so you might be surprised by what he can really do these days.

2. Steve Kline, 35
    The Risk: He'll be 36 in the 2008 season. He's logged a lot of time for a reliever in the last three seasons, he might collapse ratings wise at anytime.
    The Reward: Three straight seasons of 80 plus innings. The walks are high, but overall his numbers are acceptable. He can get you a double play.
    The Answer: Be cautious of his age, but be aware he's much like a lefty workhorse in the pen. He can be a valuable tool to take pressure off more important pitchers. And he has the ugly-ass cap of his. Someone wash that thing.

3. Jung Bong, 27
    The Risk: He's been absent from the majors since 2006. He has control problems. He might get teased for his name. Thus he might cry suddenly during a game.
    The Reward: He's young. If he had a freak late development, he'll be even better. He throws hard for a lefty, and he can even start games for you.
    The Answer: Don't trip on his age, but be prepared because he might be the most attractive reliever of the lot. He just hasn't proved himself in a while.

4. Felix Rodriguez, 35
    The Risk: The age, his propensity to be inconsistent.
    The Reward: He can be as good as a sub 3 era, or as bad a 5 era. He doesn't throw as hard as he once did and might run into control problems, all the while he won't serve up many long balls. He has lengthy experience.
    The Answer: Don't make the mistake of giving him millions of dollars. He's just not worth it and he's on the down slope of his career.

5. Jaret Wright, 32
    The Risk: Comes off a very bad ERA. He's wild. He's injury prone. He has problems against lefties. He can no longer be a starter.
    The Reward: There is potential. He has filthy stuff and can light up the radar gun still at this point in his career.
    The Answer: 2006 and 2007 were nightmares. 15 plus era, followed by a 7 plus era. Granted, thats improvement, so at this point he's on pace for a 3.50 era right? I doubt it. But he might be worth a couple of dollars and a chance.

6. J.C. Romero, 31
    The Risk: A lefty walk machine.
    The Reward: Could dazzle hitters with fine stuff. And blow them away too. He comes off a decent season where he parked himself just under 4.50 era. He did log 80 innings worth, given he only has a 1 in endurance.
    The Answer: Might be a small sleeper signing since his last two seasons have been solid, but nothing great. He'd be a good guy to keep around for depth purposes.

7. Ramon Ortiz, 34
    The Risk: As a starter, he got tagged for a lot of homeruns. His velocity is down too.
    The Reward: He can still start. In those days, he managed to stay under a 5 era given the amount of homeruns and walks. He tends to have decent stuff to get away with his sometimes very hittable ways.
    The Answer: A good depth guy, since he can work in the pen and the rotation. But don't rely heavily on him, he has killer flaws if exposed. His last contract was a MLC.
    But hey, he has a ring.

8. The Rest
    You might find depth in Brandon Villafuerte, Joe Mays, Felix Heredia, Josh Towers, Vladimer Nunez, Mike Lincoln, Julian Tavarez and Antonio Osuna. But they're really borderline emergency fill ins/AAA flounders. You might find gold in Scott Schoenweiss if you picked him up and turned him into a reliever.

The Closers: I'm reminded of a time when they weren't so important. But keep in mind that Justin Wayne and Ryan Wagner did banged up jobs anchoring bullpens for our World Series teams. Life works well when you have someone to close out a game.
    1. Joe Nathan, 33
    The Risk: Velocity is down, walks are up. Oh crap.
    The Reward: Posted a sub 4 era, but only had 4 saves. As it is now, he's listed as a MR. He can probably still handle closing duties.
    The Answer: Compared to what is available in the pool, he's your best option at closer. That does not mean he's worth 8 million or something. I'll cry if any reliever gets that much this season.

2. Chad Bradford, 33
    The Risk: Consider he doesn't blow away oppenants and his stuff doesn't scare people.
    The Reward: Keeps the ball in the yard, doesn't walk many, and has had an overall solid career. 2006 was his worst since 1999, but then he only had 3 innings of work and in 2006 his ERA was only 4.47.
    The Answer: Might be better off as a regular reliever, he just doesn't have the stuff to constantly handle the great hitters of the league when the game is on the line. Even then, he might be one of the more attractive relievers with his good command.

3. Armando Benitez, 35
    The Risk: Very wild and had a very bad 2007.
    The Reward: He can still over power hitters. His velocity is still outstanding and he's durable.
    The Answer: He's had only one solid season in the last 4 seasons. Homeruns plus walks have helped torture the man's WHIP, to the tune of 1.82. You may take a flyer on him, and avoid big dollars. It's also been over two seasons since he was a closer for someone.

4. Arthur Rhodes, 38
    The Risk: He's dying.
    The Reward: Why? At one point this season, even on a crippled franchise like Lousville, he was maintaining a sub 3 era. And this his ratings started dipping. He still possesses solid ratings and the ability to do swell as a reliever, but just not as a closer.
    The Answer: That's just it, he ain't your answer at closer. He's not going to turn your pen around. He's suited for a contender who has a good pen already and wants cheap depth. He did have 20 saves for a bad team, with a 4.04 era.

5. The Rest
    Out of all the other pitchers, I'd say the best guys to close would be Politte, Bong or Schoenweiss. I keep mentioning Schoe and that's because he throws hard for a lefty, keeps in the yard and doesn't walk people. That might be a good ticket for a closer.

My overall top ten look like this:
    1. Roy Oswalt, expect double figures in millions.
    2. C.C. Sabathia, he could land the most since he's only 27.
    3. Rob Mackowiak, he can hit for power-plays several positions-runs very well.
    4. Preston Wilson, he is the best hitter available.
    5. Eric Milton, I can see him getting the lowest dollar amount of the top starters.
    6. Alex S. Gonzalez, a very solid everywhere shortstop and those are hard to come by.
    7. Joel Pineiro, he's very underrated.
    8. Carlos Beltran, someone will probably make the mistake and pay him alot.
    9. Garret Anderson, for two years he should make good as a quality outfielder.
    10. Bronson Arroyo, becareful with his endurance and how much you depend on him.
    Ted

The breakdown are one person's opinion. I'll take them lightly. Hopefully you don't make a habit of breaking down all the free agencys. Quite stupid, IMHO.

MLB ERA
    Lo should have been resigned by me. I know he was listed at the E.O.R.S sim as being resigned.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    If you wanted to do this you probably should have just done this for the betterment of your team. Now everyone knows what your plan is and you probably just jacked the awareness of everyone up to where its going to be even more expensive to sign anyone. Glad you put forth the effort but you probably should have done it for your betterment.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't particularly have the money to make a splash in free agency to begin with, if that I even let on who I'd actually go for.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by GoYankees
    The breakdown are one person's opinion. I'll take them lightly. Hopefully you don't make a habit of breaking down all the free agencys. Quite stupid, IMHO.
    It is an opinion, but I think it's a good idea to spur discussion. Zito asked me if he could do it before he posted the article.

Marrero sucks. I had to let him go..as much as I liked him.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Lol. He just wanted a second chance from you! And you had to break his heart.
    Ted

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Oh for the record, on CC I offered him 10 million dollars and he wanted more money. So good luck to the one who will get him. I would not be supprised if it takes 13-15 million a year to get him.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Rookie ERA
    I got an extension for Snare and Arroyo, but the league got messed up, and they got sent to the free agents.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BaseballFanatic
    I got an extension for Snare and Arroyo, but the league got messed up, and they got sent to the free agents.

Yeah, OOTP was a real jackass to several of us when it came to contract extensions. Although losing Arroyo is more harmful than what I've seen thus far. Hopefully you'll storm past it.
    Ted