Thread: TBSL Steroid Program - Let me know what you think, and post suggestions

MLB ERA

TBSL Steroid Program - Let me know what you think, and post suggestions

VICTOR CONTE IS BACK - The TBSL Steroids program

As we all know, we’re living in the steroid era in baseball. It’s an era where the science of cheating has always been one step ahead of the science of catching the cheaters. Which is why Victor Conte has decided that he wants to return to the business which made him so much money, and now he knows how to keep his operation a complete secret…or so he thinks.
    Conte has contacted every team in the majors, and now the steroids are flowing through the Third Base Sim League. Here’s how it’s going to work:

The Steroids:
    Each team is receiving one supply of steroids each year. They can distribute these steroids to any one player on their team. This player will receive an instant boost in performance, as indicated by a 15-point jump in their talent and actuals for all stat categories. However, there are risks to taking these steroids. If caught, players’ careers can be tainted, and they can be suspended by Major League Baseball. Enter science and Victor Conte. Each year, Conte will send one new set of steroids to each team, which are, thanks to the beauties of science, immune to drug testing. However, the old set he has sent you, which does not run out, becomes a possible victim to the bane of all steroids…

Random Drug Testing:
    All steroids which are sent out that year are immune to drug testing. In the offseason, when Conte sends you a new set of steroids, you may either update the player currently on the ‘roids with the new set, or you may risk them being caught by testing, and give a new player some ‘roids.
    Example:
    I, the owner of the Tampa Bay Rays, receive my first shipment of steroids from Victor Conte this offseason, and decide to give them to Carl Crawford. He instantly feels the effects. One season passes, and I receive my new shipment of the updated steroids. I decide instead of updating Crawford’s steroids to keep him up to date, I want 2 players on the juice. So I give the new ones to Evan Longoria. Crawford is still using the substances and feels the effects, but they’re not up to date. So he is now subject to random drug testing in the Majors. There will be a list kept on the forums that looks something like this:

Tampa Bay:
    Player on testing-immune steroids – Evan Longoria
    Player(s) on ‘roids subject to testing – Carl Crawford

The testing will work like this: after every sim, I will randomize on my graphing calculator’s randomizing function to determine if a player has been caught. A player will have a 1/20 chance of being caught every sim. I will do this for every player on old steroids. If caught, a player will instantly lose the effects of the steroids, and will be suspended for the remainder of the season. You may later on assign more steroids to that player, but if caught again, they will be banned from the game for life (AKA I will delete the player from the game).

The Mitchell Report:
    Every so often a member of the US Senate realizes that they have done nothing of importance in their life except sit around a large table all day and argue with other old people about things that never end up getting done anyways. This prompts the member to take drastic measures, one of them being to get his name out in the public eye in any way possible. Methods include naming a report after themselves. In our case, this report has to do with steroids. Every 5 years, a new Mitchell Report will be published. This report has the same effect as random drug testing does, except the chances of players on old steroids getting caught will rise to 50%. So I will run one randomization for every player on old steroids, and they will have a 1-in-2 chance of getting caught. The same effect of punishment applies. This is a way of keeping the amount of players on steroids from accumulating to a ridiculous amount.

HGH:
    Victor Conte hasn’t stopped simply at helping players improve their performance. Every other year, he will also send each team one HGH kit. Since HGH is undetectable by Major League Baseball testing, there are no consequences of using the HGH kit. In TBSL, HGH is used to speed up the recovery time of an injured player. Just ask Andy Pettitte how it works. When a team uses its HGH kit on a player, their recovery time from an injury will be cut in half.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: TBSL Steroid Program - Let me know what you think, and post suggestions

It's innovative, yes, but like I said before I'm not a big fan of it. I wouldn't take part in it.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

and CJ is being a little ***** about this, trying to get me or someone else on the TC to tell him what the program is because he's impatient. So whatever you do, don't tell him until it's unveiled. Torture the poor kid as much as you can

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    It's innovative, yes, but like I said before I'm not a big fan of it. I wouldn't take part in it.
    what don't you like about it? if you could tell me, maybe we could improve it so you'd participate

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Very creative. I would not do it because the testing is too often with EVERY sim. but maybe....

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Not really interested.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

I like it, although I agree testing every sim might be a bit much.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

I am not a huge fan. I don't think it will have a real impact on any team since almost all teams will do it anyway. Plus I feel that some bad managers will give each player steroids making them all vulnerable and possibly significantly ruining their team and the competition of the league.

MLB ERA

We can make testing less often, that seems like the consensus here.

To bwitty and browntown, if you and others dont' like it, if you could at all give a suggestion to what could make it better, please do so. It would help rather than shooting down the whole thing

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Honestly, my suggestion would be just not do it.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

I like the HGH concept.

I am just not a fan of introducing steroids into the league. I think it will only hurt not create buzz.

MLB ERA

Alright well it looks like this isn't getting a good response, so i guess we'll just go on without it

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    We can make testing less often, that seems like the consensus here.

To bwitty and browntown, if you and others dont' like it, if you could at all give a suggestion to what could make it better, please do so. It would help rather than shooting down the whole thing
    My simple suggestion is to keep things normal. If you want to be creative and make TBSL stand out from the other leagues, avoid increasing or ways of increasing the level of talent and come up with another strategy. SBSL is going to have that rehab clinic, TSSL was always over stacked with talent, etc. It's just unnecessary even if it's risk/reward.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.