Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agent Compensation

MLB ERA

Free Agent Compensation

due to popular demand, we will plan on implementing a compensation system for free agency this upcoming offseason. i'm open to suggestions on how everyone would like this to be set-up. this is your chance to give your opinions. if you have any ideas, please post them in this thread.

thanks

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Free Agent Compensation

Draft class has to be decent, otherwise there will be no risk and reward.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

But not to insane to the point of 9-9-9 pitchers get smashed at will.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Draft class has to be decent, otherwise there will be no risk and reward.

Good point! I'll make sure we have a good draft. Not an insane draft or even a crazy draft, but a good draft.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

There has to be some risk reward factor for the draft than.

MLB ERA

in what way?
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Going off of TPSL's outline, perhaps adjustments to sandwich picks? For example, Halladay signed like 20 comp guys and the first guy he signed, that team got the better pick. Well, shouldn't the other teams get almost as equal compensation?

I'm going to work this out in this post, let's see how it goes.

Example: Team Halladay signs Mark Teixeira (comp to the angels), CC Sabathia (comp to the brewers), and Victor Martinez (comp to the indians). But Texy signed first, so the angels get Halladay's late first rounder, thus the brewers would get a late 2nd rounder and a sandwich, and the indians get a 3rd rounder and a sandwich. Here's my idea for slight change. The angels won 100 hames, the brewers were a wild card, and the indians won only 70 games.. I think the better compensation should go to the indians.

In TPSL, bad teams give up a worse pick if they sign a comp player, like say Team Halladay was the 4th worst team, he only gives up a 2nd rounder for Class A's and a 3rd rounder for Class B's instead of his top five pick. Why not keep up with the pace and further add to the Risk/Reward? Team Halladay can't resign Roy Halladay cause he hates the organization and we're all too cheap to give him any kind of good deal so he lucks out. That's a realistic scenario, but teams that lose that kind of talent tend to get good picks. So instead of the bad team who's comp player was the 3rd or 4th guy signed by Money Monger GM getting only a 3rd or 4th rounder and sandwich picks that amount to 2.5 star fillers, why not base the compensation on the signing team's record?

EDIT:
    If you were to even do sandwich picks, like I'm not even sure how it's truly done by Nick but I'm guessing players are generated and you randomly get whatever guy and typically it's prolly nothing worth while right? How about parameters on that? Maybe sandwich picks between round 1 and 2 can be 3.5-4.5 star types (or even 5 cause it's realistic in sims that you get a good reliever or closer in the 2nd round).
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'd also go with whoever's idea it was to have an age limit. Like, no compensation for the really older players cause it's likely a team won't even bother and it's pointless cause said player is only getting a 1 year deal. Ratings should also factor in heavily, and not just stats. Say a pitcher just absolutely has sucked for a couple years but he's 10-9-9... that should be a class A caliber compensation guy cause in this league, a guy with those ratings could very well have a bad year without blinking.
    Ted

MLB ERA

I'd also go with whoever's idea it was to have an age limit.
    Oh I love that idea. Whoever came up with that idea in the TPSL should get some plus rep.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Narcissistic Commissioner
    Ted

MLB ERA

Ratings should also factor in heavily, and not just stats. Say a pitcher just absolutely has sucked for a couple years but he's 10-9-9... that should be a class A caliber compensation guy cause in this league, a guy with those ratings could very well have a bad year without blinking.
    I've been considering only using ratings as a factor, but I've been second guessing that idea also. I agree with you that ratings should weigh heavily. The reason I've been considering using a ratings only method is because a average player can have a career year and net a class A status. I really like the way Nick does the compensation in the TPSL, but I don't want this system to be a carbon copy of it. I want it to be different, but hopefully just as good. What do you guys think about a ratings only system? Like I said, I like the idea, but I have some doubts about it as well. Regardless, I think ratings should weigh higher than stats. I'm going to do some research on the way MLB does it, but don't they use more than 1 year to determine class status? I was thinking they used 2 or 3 years. If that is correct, then maybe that is another option.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think stats should play a role. A younger player might not be filled out ratings wise but still putting up good numbers. There should be exceptions to the rule.
    Ted

MLB ERA

Going off of TPSL's outline, perhaps adjustments to sandwich picks? For example, Halladay signed like 20 comp guys and the first guy he signed, that team got the better pick. Well, shouldn't the other teams get almost as equal compensation?

I'm going to work this out in this post, let's see how it goes.

Example: Team Halladay signs Mark Teixeira (comp to the angels), CC Sabathia (comp to the brewers), and Victor Martinez (comp to the indians). But Texy signed first, so the angels get Halladay's late first rounder, thus the brewers would get a late 2nd rounder and a sandwich, and the indians get a 3rd rounder and a sandwich. Here's my idea for slight change. The angels won 100 hames, the brewers were a wild card, and the indians won only 70 games.. I think the better compensation should go to the indians.

In TPSL, bad teams give up a worse pick if they sign a comp player, like say Team Halladay was the 4th worst team, he only gives up a 2nd rounder for Class A's and a 3rd rounder for Class B's instead of his top five pick. Why not keep up with the pace and further add to the Risk/Reward? Team Halladay can't resign Roy Halladay cause he hates the organization and we're all too cheap to give him any kind of good deal so he lucks out. That's a realistic scenario, but teams that lose that kind of talent tend to get good picks. So instead of the bad team who's comp player was the 3rd or 4th guy signed by Money Monger GM getting only a 3rd or 4th rounder and sandwich picks that amount to 2.5 star fillers, why not base the compensation on the signing team's record?

EDIT:
    If you were to even do sandwich picks, like I'm not even sure how it's truly done by Nick but I'm guessing players are generated and you randomly get whatever guy and typically it's prolly nothing worth while right? How about parameters on that? Maybe sandwich picks between round 1 and 2 can be 3.5-4.5 star types (or even 5 cause it's realistic in sims that you get a good reliever or closer in the 2nd round).
    I like this idea a lot as well. There is no rhyme or reason why a player in OOTP decides to sign when they do. Sometimes they just wait for no reason, and other times they jump at the first offer they get.

Also, if the draft is improved to make this system work, then another advantage to the worst teams is probably a good idea.

As for how Nick does the sandwich picks. I think he does it the hard way by saving the pick until the end of the draft, but I'm not sure on that one. Radnomly generating the pick would be much easier, and withe little downside if any.

MLB ERA

I could start randomly generating the picks, and I think I just might this year. I never thought about that until just now honestly... when I discovered it recently. :-[

As for it being a "corbon copy", obviously I think if you like TPSL's comp rules, you can use them however you want . But it might be in your interest to modify that ratings and even statistical perimeters to fit CSSL's leagues settings better. I know CSSL's talent is greater than TPSL (and TPSL isn't low on talent, either) so you would have to definitely set different standards I'd assume. Just a suggestion here.

and Zito-- from TPSL's comp perspective, I really like your ideas too.... if you hop back on AIM later, I'd like some help just from you explaining some things about them though.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights View Post
    I like this idea a lot as well. There is no rhyme or reason why a player in OOTP decides to sign when they do. Sometimes they just wait for no reason, and other times they jump at the first offer they get.

Also, if the draft is improved to make this system work, then another advantage to the worst teams is probably a good idea.

As for how Nick does the sandwich picks. I think he does it the hard way by saving the pick until the end of the draft, but I'm not sure on that one. Radnomly generating the pick would be much easier, and withe little downside if any.
    I think if you assemble compensation in some ways like the draft order turns out, it will improve the reward factor for teams, some teams are just not capable of keeping big names and what not, others are just lazy but nonetheless it still maintains the risk for any team that wants to lose their picks.

Perhaps there should be another class, the super class, like I mentioned above in my example, if Team Halladay loses Roy Halladay, he's one of the top pitchers in the league. Or let's say for whatever reason, Oakland loses Lefty Pritchett to free agency. Again, one of the top pitchers in the league, if not one of the top players in the league. Guys like that would be a Super Class, and by that, there are no protections. If the worst team in the league decides he wants Pritchett and gets him, Oakland should get the top pick of the draft. And maybe even a sandwich or two, I don't know, but with a certain crop of players and ideally it won't happen every year, there should be no protected picks.
    Ted

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast