Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agent Compensation

MLB ERA

Re: Free Agent Compensation

And I agree with Zito, stats should definitely play a role-- perhaps you could use stats only and no ratings?

Actually, I'll tell you my opinion.... CSSL has good talent, and honestly I think its possible even if you set perimeters, there's still going to be so much talent there will be just a ton of compensatable FAs if you use both ratings and stats. Stats are a very good approach in a league like this, because there's a lot of good talent and for the most part with stats it'll all even itself out. Maybe you could make a one player exception rule, and do stats only? And then each GM could submit one player to the exception if they fit under a certain ratings-weight?

Just concerned if you use both stats & ratings, it'll take away from FA because there will be too many comp. fas and no one will want to sign anyone

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    I could start randomly generating the picks, and I think I just might this year. I never thought about that until just now honestly... when I discovered it recently. :-[

As for it being a "corbon copy", obviously I think if you like TPSL's comp rules, you can use them however you want . But it might be in your interest to modify that ratings and even statistical perimeters to fit CSSL's leagues settings better. I know CSSL's talent is greater than TPSL (and TPSL isn't low on talent, either) so you would have to definitely set different standards I'd assume. Just a suggestion here.

and Zito-- from TPSL's comp perspective, I really like your ideas too.... if you hop back on AIM later, I'd like some help just from you explaining some things about them though.
    I will be on later, I'll hit cha.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Here is another idea as far as protected picks. The TPSL protects the top 15 picks. Now I do believe it is necessary to protect the top picks so that the worst teams don't get the shaft. My question to you though, is 15 too many to protect. That slices the team in half and says half of the team is bad. Well, right now we have 16 teams that are either .500 or better. Would it be better to protect the top 10 picks so that the bottom third of the league has protected picks. This would give a little more incentive for compensation without hurting the teams that really need the help. I don't think a team that finishes at .500 should have a protected pick. What do you guys think?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    I think stats should play a role. A younger player might not be filled out ratings wise but still putting up good numbers. There should be exceptions to the rule.
    Then the question would be how much of a role should stats play? Should it be a 50% / 50% split? all stats? all ratings? or somewhere in between?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mostly ratings, with stats being exceptions in special cases.
    Ted

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

thankfully Zito, I signed Pritchett Along Burdette and Hermida...payroll to the moon!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights View Post
    Then the question would be how much of a role should stats play? Should it be a 50% / 50% split? all stats? all ratings? or somewhere in between?
    Probably 65-35 towards ratings.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    thankfully Zito, I signed Pritchett Along Burdette and Hermida...payroll to the moon!
    Yeah, I don't expect you to catch the example part of the post.
    Ted

MLB ERA

right, I can't read because I didn't address each and every word you typed

my point is that signing those type of guys is better than any kind of pick unless the pick was for a filled out player (not saying Crazy needs to do that). Age is the only factor to me that would come into play. And it also depends on the quality of the draft. I let Harang go in TPSL due his demands and his age. The pick I got already lost talent. It's a nice option to have (compensation), but I think a team that loses a Pritchett or a Harden type player, loses regardless of what they get. At least they get something, but it'll never be comparable IMHO.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    my point is that signing those type of guys is better than any kind of pick unless the pick was for a filled out player. Age is the only factor to me that would come into play. And it also depends on the quality of the draft. I let Harang go in TPSL due his demands and his age. The pick I got already lost talent. It's a nice option to have (compensation), but I think a team that loses a Pritchett or a Harden type player, loses regardless of what they get. At least they get something, but it'll never be comparable IMHO.
    Good point Prov. You are right that there can't be any good compensation for losing someone of that caliber. I do like Koz' idea of a super class of player in which there would't be protected players in that rare case. Perhaps we could have some type of system like this...

Super Class (rare)
    1st round pick, no protected picks
    2nd round pick
    sandwich pick

Class A
    1st round pick
    sandwich pick

Class B
    2nd round pick
    (possibly a sandwich pick)

Keep in mind, that the signing team doesn't lose a pick for a sandwich pick. Sandwich picks will be generated players so they wouldn't come out of the draft class either. I think sandwich pics can help give more value for the loss of a good players. Now I'm not going ot tell you that the compensation will equal the player lost, but it isn't supposed to. In the MLB, the Milwaukee Brewers will probably lose Sabathia, and they won't get an equal player for him. I think some type of compensation system like this would give more compensation as well as still take something away from the signing team.

MLB ERA

right, it shouldn't be equal. I just meant to me as a GM, I know it won't ever be equal so I'm going to do my best not to lose players of that caliber.

MLB ERA

I think top 5 should be protected no matter who it is, cause will a supersick player even go to one of those teams?
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yes, they would. People are dumb enough to severely over pay one player.. if such a player even exists. It's not always a great, and I mean great, player falls into free agency.. but it can happen. I'm talking about those 26-30 year old superstars that GMs were to lazy to try and resign or simply wanted a winner or wanted more money than the team could afford (or the GM pissed the player off with offers, who knows)
    Ted

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    I think top 5 should be protected no matter who it is, cause will a supersick player even go to one of those teams?

I know what you mean, but every player is protected if you don't sign that mega star. So shouldn't some of the responsability go to the team owner that has the top 5 pick?

MLB ERA

I still plan on doing compensation. I'll be going over the free agents in the next few days to see what types of stats or ratings we should use for this league. If anyone wants to have input... send me lists of players that you think should be class a and class b free agents, and what formulas you used to determine it. I'll come up with my own, and if I get input, I'll combine them.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast