Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contraction Update (6/30/08)

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

News Contraction Update (6/30/08)

I didn't want this to get lost in the check-in thread so I thought I'd start a new one for specific contraction information.

I will count DMB as the check-in for Dam. Baltimore, Cleveland, and Atlanta still haven't posted in the check-in thread.

For sure Milwaukee and Los Angeles are up for contraction. That would give the NL the same setup as the AL: 5 teams in the East, 5 teams in the Central, and 4 teams in the West.

If 2 more teams join the contraction ranks, then they will be removed from the AL leaving that league with three divisions of 4 teams each.

I'm not really sure what to do yet with those players. There will be some sort of contraction draft that will use the same draft order as the amateur draft for 2017. It may contain all of the players (contracts and all!) or just prospects. If it's just prospects, I will release the other players to the weak free agent pool.

Thoughts?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Contraction Update (6/25/08)

drafts are fun

Even more fun if whatever their current contract is, you assume that too. I've never seen it done before when dealing with a contraction draft but it's a neat little idea and would definitely shake up who's picked where.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

AAA ERA

I think a draft with contracts and all would be cool. Because it involve a strategy. Even if you really like a player, do you want to go in debt drafting a guy? As of right now I have zilch FA money. If I take a guy who's making a decent ammount, I probably wouldn't be able to extend Weddo. Overall I could care less what happens, I just think it be cool.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

MLB ERA

if you have no FA money, you wouldn't be able to take on any contracts...you'd have to pick a spec.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    if you have no FA money, you wouldn't be able to take on any contracts...you'd have to pick a spec.
    I figured that might be the case, but just wishful thinking I could draft whoever. I still think it be cool to have contracts and all. Then whoever isn't drafted dump them in the FA pool.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And there's several good prospects or young-cheap players so everyone would have something to draft. I guess if you wanted to, allow trading of the picks- just keep track of it in a thread like you do with ammy picks being dealt.

I dunno. A draft would just be more interesting to me than a free agency blitz. But go with whatever makes more sense, ultimately it's a different change of pace.
    Ted

MLB ERA

there would be no trading of picks for the contraction draft...since the draft isn't actually in the game and this is more of a bonus.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    And there's several good prospects or young-cheap players so everyone would have something to draft. I guess if you wanted to, allow trading of the picks- just keep track of it in a thread like you do with ammy picks being dealt.

I dunno. A draft would just be more interesting to me than a free agency blitz. But go with whatever makes more sense, ultimately it's a different change of pace.
    When you have trades someone gets ripped off. With FA not everyone will get the talent being sent out there. Which is why I like being able to draft everyone. That way the talent is evenly spread throughout the league into every team.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

MLB ERA

I posted in the check-in thread as well before i saw this one, but I like the idea of a draft with the players, contracts and all. it's interesting and adds another aspect to the draft
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

The contract aspect is a good one. It makes it more like a real draft, where budget cost as well as talent.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

Hmmm...we may have someone for the Brewers. Atlanta and Baltimore still haven't checked in. The Dodgers are still open. We'll know by the deadline on Sunday.

I think the contracts should follow the players in a contraction draft.

If there ever was contraction in MLB, this would be the case, since the contracts are guaranteed.

MLB ERA

if all the players were available, then the contracts would stay. my other thought was to release them into free agency and draft the specs. there will be a draft either way. it'll probably be a draft for all players, but I'll know for sure once contraction is decided on.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    When you have trades someone gets ripped off. With FA not everyone will get the talent being sent out there. Which is why I like being able to draft everyone. That way the talent is evenly spread throughout the league into every team.
    It's ok, I'll try not to rip you off anymore.
    Ted

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

I will chime in here just a little bit. Sadly, I have contracted six teams twice in an online league. It is a royal pain in the ass no matter how you do it. There are several issues:

1. IF a contraction draft thread happens, the commish cannot contract until after the season is rolled over, because a drafted player cannot be traded for a worthless player until trading opens again.

2. Dumping the players in the FA pool SEEMS to be the easiest option, but then asking GMs to only select FAs from the contracted teams... someone will inevitably select a very good FA from a non-contracted team. Then the Commish has to write down everyones previous contract and only offer that same contract in the first few days of FA from the one team the picked the contracted player. THE AI may not like the team that picked them... So then the Commish has to find a team that the player likes, offer the contract, wait until the player signs and then trade his ass to the team that drafted him.

3. Going from 36 teams to 30 teams... I never changed the stat engine settings. I noticed a significant drop in certain players stats... less than what they should be with their ratings. This was not as noticeable the first year, and I think it is because I had 25% of their current performance was based on last years performance, and 65% was based on ratings... So the second year after contraction, I had a 9 contact batter hitting .240ish. As the activity in the league would have it, at the end of that second season with 30 teams we contracted to 24, and this time, I tinkered with the stat engine and so far we seem to be doing well. Basically, each category had to be increased.

4. Having minor leaguers in the FA pool is confusing. What I ended up doing was trading the first round of the contraction draft BEFORE I opened FA season, I then contracted six teams, dumping all remaining players into the FA pool. Then I took the first 5 - 10 days and did the second round of the contraction draft by making one offer to each contracted player. This was a huge pain as about 10 out of 24 players did not like the team that selected them. I highly recommend doing at least 2 and maybe 3 rounds via trade before contracting and starting the FA season. I posted that no blue-star player was eligible for FA and that I would sign all the minor leaguers after FA season to MLCs in the draft order. I had two GMs who couldn't read... What a headache.

I hope you figure out a smoother way.

Also don't forget to re-generate a new schedule and double check to see if it looks right.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast