Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Draft Discussion

MLB ERA

Re: 2016 Draft Discussion

No, you guys actually try to lose games. Don't deny what you do, at least try to defend it.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

who's fault is it that you lost money? Just because you have a "low" payroll doesn't mean you can't lose money. For whatever reason your attendance was down last season and that's why you lost money because your payroll was about even with your previous season's revenue.

You have a stud SP spec in Henderson to go along with above average Gomez, average Vargas, and a below average Krawczyk. Gregg (and several others) come off the books this season and you should have a lot of money available unless you resign those guys. And like LJ said, you can trade guys for specs and set yourself up for a nice run. Baltimore and TB don't appear to be going anywhere for the next few seasons so you have to know when to cut your losses.

MLB ERA

I've done a TON of trading in recent years. I thought I had a shot at something maybe this year, so I toned it down a bit. But Austin and Gomez both lost talent at the end of this year, so that doesn't make anything easier. A few guys to come off the books like you said, but idk how much good that's gonna do. Tracy is definitely gone, and I'll try to get something for Gregg and Shelton possibly. We shall see. I have just found that there's not too much of a market for guys who only have a few years left since everyone and their mother wants prospects.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Austin can still be useful, but regardless he's light years away. And I as I explained to you Gomez barely lost any talent...his stuff went from 72 to 69! He's basically the same.

MLB ERA

for the record there are 11 SP 5.0 specs...compared to what the CPU generated, it's more...and it's more than the 9 we just had in CSSL, which has more teams. I think the depth is perfectly acceptable.

I did, however, change the 7 endurance relievers to SPs and bumped them up to either 3.5's or 4.0's so there is a little more depth in the middle now. The site has been uploaded again, too.

edit: and I'm not trying to knock anyone here...I'm just stating that I feel the depth is fine and there are plenty of top specs for everyone. I apologize if some might not see it that way, but the fact remains that we always get 4 - 5 (sometimes more) solid specs in my drafts.

If anyone is looking to trade some picks, I've got a lot of nice pieces for sale. Would love to jump into the middle of the 1st round here. I was able to add a stud arm already (although it would been awesome to get Abernathy) and would like to add a stud bat as well. Not sure there will be one of the upper echelon guys available at 27 with Seattle's pick that I have.

MLB ERA

PM sent Mackus

Damn all these teams getting autoed pitchers.......

MLB ERA

they need pitching...one of the reasons they are picking high.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Draft the best you can with what's there and trade.

Making a ridiculously deep draft would be unfair to GMs like me who's trying to dig the shitty Padres and their albatross contracts out of the hole.

I actually have free agency money this year!
    Making a ridiculously draft does nothing but help everyone. While you have bad contracts, how else are you going to build? The draft... and the deeper the draft? The more there is for the Padres pick after pick. Unlike some leagues where there's nothing left by mid to late 1st round.

Having a deep draft is very realistic, real baseball drafts are full of talent. The main problem is, to get those guys to develop. Despite all the deep drafts Prov has done, it's not like this league is overrun with super stars. Not everyone develops, and it encourges trading and a more active league. Less talent = low activity league.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    Making a ridiculously draft does nothing but help everyone. While you have bad contracts, how else are you going to build? The draft... and the deeper the draft? The more there is for the Padres pick after pick. Unlike some leagues where there's nothing left by mid to late 1st round.

Having a deep draft is very realistic, real baseball drafts are full of talent. The main problem is, to get those guys to develop. Despite all the deep drafts Prov has done, it's not like this league is overrun with super stars. Not everyone develops, and it encourges trading and a more active league. Less talent = low activity league.
    I didn't say it had to be a shallow draft, and I like the concept of a deep draft, but I was under the impression that it was being asked for top 5 quality talent to still be available in the bottom half of the draft....which is a bit much.

Yeah, the middle-first round quality would drop to round 2 for me, but what I was getting at is my #2 overall kinda loses its value when a playoff team can get just as good of a draft pick in round 1...
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

I wasn't a playoff team, so I'm not THAT low in the draft. But I see your point Hollywood

MLB ERA

there are only 8 playoff teams...this isn't basketball

MLB ERA

I know a bunch of guys are looking for young SP... and Bludd was autoed to me and I have some good young SP already so if you want him I'd be looking for someone a little more ready at SS, 2B, and/or RP...

just pm me

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    I know a bunch of guys are looking for young SP... and Bludd was autoed to me and I have some good young SP already so if you want him I'd be looking for someone a little more ready at SS, 2B, and/or RP...

just pm me
    he can be traded now as a pick and then I'd pick that player for whichever team got your 1st round pick. he won't be on a team until 6/1 in the game though (when the draft is). also, picks cannot be traded alone...they has to be at least 1 player on each side of the deal.

MLB ERA

I hope Dam shows up soon...I'm 2 picks away! woo hoo!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast