Thread: AL Review on Free Agency

MLB ERA

AL Review on Free Agency

I had written this up as an article for the site but it wouldn't post for some reason.

Here we are starring right at Spring Training, every team having a chance to add or not to add to their teams by free agency I intend on looking at the results who did what.

American League East (none in any specific order):
    Providence had the busyiest Free Agency in the division adding a lot of inexpensive depth to a team that sorely needed it. The big signing was a lock down closer from Japan named Yatan Sugita (6 mil per year for 3 years). Sugita immediately fills the role of closer for most teams and 6 mil isn't bad considering what some of his closer brethern make.

Savannah signed arguably the best outfielder from the USA on the market for 11 mil. The Kearns signing leaves Savannah as the favorite to win the division and continues the tradition of Mission being right in the thick of things when you discuss top teams in the league. Savannah also signed some other depth but Kearns stole most of the headlines.

Puerto Rico signed C A.J. Pierzynski to bring competition to the DH and Catcher spots in the franchise. Puerto Rico joins the new AL East hoping to finish the same place they did in the NL East last year first.

Orlando was realitively quiet when it came to Free Agency only landing 2 guys Rob Mackowiak and Jerry Harriston for about a 2 mil combined. They should add depth to an infield that lost Delwyn Young in the expansion draft.

AL Midwest:
    Milwaukee kept out of FA for the most part, their only signing was Keith Ginter, Ginter will likely serve as super sub since he can play 2b, ss, 3b, lf all realitively well and allow Milwaukee a chance to rest players like Tulo when needed with little drop off in the everyday lineup.

The White Sox made a huge splash by going out there and giving K-Rod 7.25 mil per year for 5 years. K-Rod will make many good hitters look very bad. Ty Wigginton and Eli Marrero will provide the White Sox some options for bats whether everyday or off the bench.

Louisville made deals with 2 fa relief pitchers. Luis Vizcanio and Mike MacDougle come in and try and give last years big acquisition Seve Berenguer some support as they need people to get games from the starters to Berenguer.

Tennessee signed SS Rafael Fucal in hopes that he finds his stroke that allowed him to be one of the most fearsome leadoff hitters in the game. He still has the speed and defense but the last year he has had some trouble getting on base (.293).

AL Mountain:
    Alaska continues the rebuilding process by adding Shannon Stewart and Pedro Feliz. Feliz is another of those players that can play multiple positions and can be a dangerous hitter. Stewart should give a very good offensive punch to a lineup that lacked that last year and also plays very good defense in either corner of position. Harang will try and find his stuff in Alaska in their rotation.

When Vancouver spent money it was in big bunches. Spending 17 mil on Big Papi and Brandon Backe. Backe will be the ace of the staff that Vancouver's been needing for some time and Big Papi will do what he does best mash the ball as a DH.

San Antonio added Adam Dunn to be the big bopper in the middle of their lineup for a few years.

Colorado was the most active of all the teams in the division in FA. Colorado made an impact with starting pitchers adding a whole new rotation pretty much (at least 4 of the pitchers have SP caliber endurance) and Mark Bellhorn who could fill in at 3 or 4 positions if needed.

AL West:
    Anaheim had very little money and left pretty much all of it in the bank as they didnt sign anyone during the actual FA period. Needs remain the same and time will tell if they can get out of the quandry they have been in since winning the AL West in 2006.

Las Vegas did most of their work in the contraction draft and with trades. Still they signed Justin Morneau to be backup to Alvin Davis at 1b, dh, serve as power off the bench.

San Diego will be starting up using most of the guys they drafted from the expansion draft, signing only Brian Meadows. I havent looked at how the expansion draft went in depth to know where Meadows should fit.

Washington was the busiest of the teams in the division signing a lot of guys to provide depth for them. The biggest signing was the signing of Japanesse Phenom Shoutarou Sadakuno for 5 years. Sadakuno should be a premier player in MLB for the next 10 years as he is coming in at ONLY 26 years of age.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Great job man.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Sugita isn't my closer...he's my #2 starter...though he would be a 4.5 star closer, he is needed in the rotation. Thigpen is my closer and a 4.0 star one, too...I know these changes don't show up on the league reports site, but I exported them.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    Sugita isn't my closer...he's my #2 starter...though he would be a 4.5 star closer, he is needed in the rotation. Thigpen is my closer and a 4.0 star one, too...I know these changes don't show up on the league reports site, but I exported them.
    Didn't notice his endurance was that high or else I probably would have said starter.

BTW thanks all for my 7th green thingy.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AA ERA
    Wanna do an NL one too? Carlos Lee is the signing of the year for sure. Nice evaluation anyway.
    SBSL- Brooklyn Cyclones
    I am a proud member of the Anti-Rocksports Alliance.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Didn't notice his endurance was that high or else I probably would have said starter.

BTW thanks all for my 7th green thingy.
    his endurance is only 6, but I think that allowed me to get him at a not too expensive price.