Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Revised Point System

MLB ERA
    I would not say only 2 or 3 studs... we all know the drafts are pretty deep and you are getting some good 4.5 and 4.0 players in the beginning of round 2... and with the progression the way it is in this league, that gives more than just a couple of very good players....

I think that this is an OK thing myself, if the proper buffer is there for the standings.... because all that lower placing team has to do is make some quality posts, maybe submit a short article or 2 about their team during the season, and they are pretty much assured that they are not going to go from the first pick to the 20th...

Now I do think there should be an upper limit on articles. Not letting a poster post an article every SIM for the pure attempt to go from the 30th pick to the first. I don't think there should be a limit on good posts in the rumblings and ramblins threads, but definately on the big point items such as the articles
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA
    I don't wanna touch the draft either.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    Exactly. For something else. Not the draft.
    Why not the draft? We can do it for other things, but the draft is the most motivation, and it eliminates the mindset that you have to have a bad team for years to get a good draft pick.

I'm an outside observer and I really have no stake in the league...but I think making an intregal part of the in-game process based on out-of-game criterion is not a good idea. It's your call (duh) at the person who runs it, but I'm almost willing to guarantee a lot of BS articles to move up in draft position. The point system idea is interesting, but perhaps it's better used as a tiebreaker for everything (teams with tied records for drafting, for post-FA acquistions (a waiver wire ranking of sorts) controllable, or to break FA ties if you can) instead of a pure determinant of draft order.

Just food for thought from an outside observer.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    I think that this is an OK thing myself, if the proper buffer is there for the standings.... because all that lower placing team has to do is make some quality posts, maybe submit a short article or 2 about their team during the season, and they are pretty much assured that they are not going to go from the first pick to the 20th...

Now I do think there should be an upper limit on articles. Not letting a poster post an article every SIM for the pure attempt to go from the 30th pick to the first. I don't think there should be a limit on good posts in the rumblings and ramblins threads, but definately on the big point items such as the articles
    I agree on the buffer...I'll work out a plan for that tonight. As for an upper limit on articles... I won't make one now, but it may be needed in the future. If I notice an unusual amount of articles from the same GMs, then I'll make a limit on those.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    I'm an outside observer and I really have no stake in the league...but I think making an intregal part of the in-game process based on out-of-game criterion is not a good idea. It's your call (duh) at the person who runs it, but I'm almost willing to guarantee a lot of BS articles to move up in draft position. The point system idea is interesting, but perhaps it's better used as a tiebreaker for everything (teams with tied records for drafting, for post-FA acquistions (a waiver wire ranking of sorts) controllable, or to break FA ties if you can) instead of a pure determinant of draft order.

Just food for thought from an outside observer.
    Thanks for your input Fish. This is all uncharted territory for me and everybody else in the league. It is one thing to have a few teams that struggle from season to season, but it is another thing if those GMs aren't active. In the plan, I stated that the posts and articles must be "quality". There really is no way for me to define what I mean by a quality article, but I think we all know what that means. I expect to get some BS articles, but when I do, I'll disqualify those from the process and the GM won't earn any points for those articles. I won't hold it against a GM if they just aren't good at writing articles, but I will hold it against them if they intentionally just write something up fast to get the points.

OK. It should be fine and I like the general idea. I'd just be careful of a bunch of point-gaining articles.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You know, not every team that tanks does it in the same fashion as Dam does in S3SL. Some active teams just happen to be bad no matter what. I can't see any good coming from making people have to post and write up articles just to be able to get the pick number they normally would have any other season. If they are in this sim just to be a GM, trade, run their team, etc. why knock it?

So I would also be against this draft thing.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

AA ERA
    There's also another thing. I'm active. I check the boards all the time. I check the site all the time. Maybe I don't export a whole lot but I didn't need to. I don't post because I enjoy more of the reading than the actual talking. Personally, I'll do pretty shitty with points because I don't speak my mind.
    SBSL- Brooklyn Cyclones
    I am a proud member of the Anti-Rocksports Alliance.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphictor
    Personally, I'll do pretty shitty with points because I don't speak my mind.
    You're doing a good job of speaking your mind right now. That's good though.
    I know this is different, and nobody is used to a draft being run this way. Heck, I've never even seen a league run it's draft htis way. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea or that it won't work. I really believe in this idea, and I just ask that you give it a chance. Let's see how it works.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It's unnecessary.
    Ted

First of all I disagree with this also. I consider myself a decent GM and it is not always possible for a gm to do well with the current players they have. For example, in this league, the reason I haven't been very active is because I am waiting for my players to develop because there isn't much I can do with my team now. I certainly don't want to trade these good prospects so I can become good now. It's not that I am not active (because I do check out the site frequently) but rather that I am in waiting mode. For me and probably many other GM's, this would very much hurt their team thus hurting the league. If the bad teams are kind of in an idle mode waiting for players, then why should we be penalized. The object is to effectively run your team and win and make a profit. If you were to change the draft (which you can if you choose), this wouldn't help those bad teams you are talking about.

Can we have a vote?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    Can we have a vote?
    yeah

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Most of us supported the new look for the ammy drafts, and most of us- with in reason- supported changing our stadiums/parks. That added a nice differential touch to the sim and again most of us indeed liked that. But it doesn't appear many of us so far are supporting a highly unfair change to the draft. And I will not support it now, or then. If you want, you can replace me with someone who does indeed support the change.
    Ted

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast