Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sources: Mick Cronin to be named UC coach

MLB ERA

Sources: Mick Cronin to be named UC coach

Multiple industry sources have indicated to me that Mick Cronin is likely to be named the University of Cincinnati's new basketball coach, possibly as soon as tomorrow.

Unless something changes, I expect the hiring to happen.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Defend this Zimpher move, CRF.

After the UC loss today, Kennedy was making a speech and was going to thank the fans for everything they've done this year. The university literally cut off his microphone and wouldn't let him address the crowd, and the university rep who had it done said "it wasn't my decision". That's cowardly, pathetic, and totally uncalled for. I'm hoping for a massive riot in Clifton. Burn it to the ****ing ground.

MLB ERA
    That wasn't right for sure, but Cronin is officially the coach now, as I confirmed earlier this morning through industry sources. Great hiring, IMO:

There will be no other announcements tonight and nobody else is talking tonight.

There will be a press conference tomorrow afternoon with Mick.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    It's a hypocritical hiring, considering Cronin has had past problems of his own similar to Huggins. He's a good coach, but there was no reason not to offer Kennedy the job other than Zimpher's ridiculous bias.

MLB ERA
    Maybe it had to do with other issues:

1) Kennedy wanted to go to Ole Miss (closer to home, etc.)

2) Cronin is from Cincy and has more experience as a head coach already

3) He had distanced himself from Huggins for a long enough period that they felt more comfortable with him

They must have thought he was a great candidate and I agree.

MLB ERA
    Had they offered Kennedy the job instead of having a ridiculously unnecessary and highly publicized job search, I'm sure he would've been happy to stay. I think Cronin's a pretty good coach, but he's also the same kind of person as Huggs, which is the part that I don't get, and is what makes me think that Zimpher's bias is specifically to Huggs and not necessarily what she's trying to stay.

MLB ERA
    I'm hearing more on this tonight from some sources who are very close to the situation.

It appears that at least one if not both of the two players who were declared ineligible became that because they neglected to attend at least one class almost the entire time this previous quarter. He (they) supposedly attended the class just a couple of times and didn't receive a passing grade as a result.

I'm also hearing that the school might have dropped Kennedy from consideration as the coach because he had neglected to ensure that this player(s) went to this particular class this semester and supposedly didn't check-in on the situation as much as he "should" have.

That is what I'm hearing. I'm sure we'll hear more on the situation soon.

MLB ERA
    I'm so glad we have this many Cincy folks on the board so we can get up to the minute updates on a second tier basketball program.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinersFan87
    I'm so glad we have this many Cincy folks on the board so we can get up to the minute updates on a second tier basketball program.
    One that is amongst the leaders in National Championships and has a much better tradition than LSU's...

I will be laughing when Cronin's team beats LSU in the tournament in a few years.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    One that is amongst the leaders in National Championships and has a much better tradition than LSU's...
    I don't give a shit what your team did when O was playing. This is 2006.

I will be laughing when Cronin's team beats LSU in the tournament in a few years.
    You guys can't even sniff the tourament. We just beat the number one team in the country behind three freshman and a sophomore. Not really that intimidated.

AAA ERA
    So is Kennedy gonna get hired by Ole Miss or any other school or is he gonna stay w/ Cinci.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinersFan87
    I don't give a shit what your team did when O was playing. This is 2006.

You guys can't even sniff the tourament. We just beat the number one team in the country behind three freshman and a sophomore. Not really that intimidated.
    Can't even sniff it?! LOL

Pretty much everyone except you thinks UC got screwed.

I'll take (14) straight years of NCAA Tournament appearances over LSU's total lack of history.

I am now hoping they don't win the title this year. I doubt they will anyway, but I really hope they don't now.

Pretty much every magazine has rated UC as one of the top 10 basketball programs of all-time. They are 6th in National Titles. That's all that matters to me ultimately.

We can post about UC all we want without you interjecting with your uncalled for comments.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfan3
    So is Kennedy gonna get hired by Ole Miss or any other school or is he gonna stay w/ Cinci.
    He was already hired by Ole Miss.

MLB ERA
    Yea, it was a crying shame that they didn't make the tourney so they could've got beat in the first round.

You guys lose in the first or second round every year anyway, congratulations, I guess that's what you get for playing in a conference like C-USA.

That really burns that you won't be rooting for LSU. To counter your harsh insult, I will now not be rooting for the Reds on opening day.

MLB ERA
    They lost in the first round one time over the last several years. The 2nd Round losses are well-documented, but I didn't support them or Huggins over them either. UC still made the tourney (14) straight times...something most teams can't say. Only one team actually goes on to win the title every year anyway.

UC did get to a Final Four and an Elite 8 during those 14 years, BTW. No more C-USA now, so we don't ahve to worry about that anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast