Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pardon my French, but Nancy Zimpher can go **** herself.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    Cincy30, firing Marvin if Cincy doesn't make the playoffs? Boy, you crazy..
    I obviously have higher expecations than you do. I'm not surprised based on some of your past comments.

I will state my opinion on this issue...so deal with it.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    I'll just say this right now, the basketball program at the University of Cincinnati is farther ahead in it's field then the University of Cincinnati is in the field of academics, and if 12 kids and one coach are so influential on the reputation of a school, that just tells me that the Doctor hasn't done enough to distinguish the school on any single front. The University of Cincinnati, at this point, does not hold a candle to numerous public universities. For example, take a look at any UC (University of California) that you want. Some of those are premier public universities, some aren't, and due to their geography mostly (although in UCLA and UCB case, reputation as well), they are admitting a higher academic quality of student.

I'm all for public universities trying to set an academic standard but maybe she should try to get half her incoming class above the standard she's setting for the basketball team.

I think you're ignoring some stats. UC's CCM(College of Conservatory of Music) and others, such as the Engineering school, are amongst the top in the country. Nancy just wants the whole school to live up to those standards, and I applaud her for that.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Let's not go crazy here. UoCin IS strong in music, but it isn't one of the top conservatories for Fine Arts-Music, at least according to the extremely reputable Fiske's Guide. Just giving a list

Top Music Conservatories
    Berklee College of Music
    Boston Conservatory
    California Institute of the Arts
    Cleveland Institute of Music
    Curtis Institute of Music
    Eastman School of Music
    Juilliard School
    Manhattan School of Music
    New England Conservatory of Music
    North Carolina School of the Arts
    Peabody Conservatory of Music
    San Francisco Conservatory of Music.

They are strong in both business and music (and a few other fields, such as art and other fields of art in graphic deisgn and architecture).

Even Cincinnati's entry in the book has Basketball mentioned in the introductory paragraph. The academics, on the whole, do not match up to the top colleges in the U.S. They have strong programs, but her crusade against basketball players should be at least supplemented by more selectivity and an improvment elsewhere. As I said, before she requires all twelve basketball players (or whatever) to have a 23 on the ACT, maybe she should cut down on the approximately 10,000 students who fell below that threshold. Once they get in, if they slack, suspend their ass on your own requirements from ECs, but prior to?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Huggins was one of the school's most recognizable faces. He was a bad influence on the school

And anyone who doesn't have CCM on its list doesn't know what they're talking about. Trust me...it's better than that. Just go see a Broadway play and look at the number of show members who went there.

We need to give her more time. She's only been at the school a couple of years and has already improved things from where they were. I think she knows what she's doing.

Huggins' poor NCAA Tourney performance only adds fuel to the fire.

MLB ERA
    In the most recent rankings by U.S. News and World Report, CCM was honored as the sixth top university program in the country for pursuing a graduate degree in music. Within the specialty areas of voice and conducting, CCM's programs placed third and fifth, respectively. Other nationally ranked programs include Music Composition, Orchestra/Symphony and Drama. The Musical Theater program is widely considered one of the best in the country.

I trust Fiske more than the formerly (and possibly currently) corrupt U.S. News and World. They alter their rankings to make sure the HYPS schools get on top, even if others schools would rank higher (say, CalTech) on a legitimate list, and really, it's a joke as schools change what they do simply to appeal to the rankings.

Fiske happens to be one of the most respected books in the nation for college profiles. I don't doubt it's good, but perhaps there are places where the best performing arts majors go that focus on performing arts. Logically, when you get 20,000 kids, you will find some great actors in the bunch that are there simply because it's commutable and cheap even if their passion would be better suited at a place with one of those top collegiate programs.

I wasn't considering graduate studies since the basketball players are undergraduates.

Essentially, what those stats say is simply that the school is not outstanding in anything performed off a stage or studio. That's what I see. And when push comes to shove, I know that two years ago, UoCin was a third tier (out of Top 130) public university on those horrible U.S. News Rankings (and from there, behind a big list of private colleges and specialty universities (such as Williams and CalTech, going to the top of each respective list).

I only objected to forcing an athlete to be a better student than 50% of a university coming in.

MLB ERA
    It will take time. I'm not arguing anymore. You'll see the results when they come.

You will find a way to argue with me about an open-ended issue for anything, won't you? You can keep this discussion up with yourself or with anyone who wants to hear it.

Well, I just read something quite interesting, and I don't know how legitimate it is, but according to this UoCin fan (He comes here too), 25 of Huggins' last 38 players graduated at a rate of 66%. On the other hand, the most recent rate of graduation (in at most six years) was 45%.

Vitale also noted 11 of his players graduated over the last 4 years, and I don't know if that's good or bad but it seems good considering the relative size of a basketball team.

We'll see if it's good, I don't know, I just think her academic requirements for athletes are hypocritical considering the caliber of student being admitted.

MLB ERA
    it woulda happened at any other school...
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123