Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pardon The Interruption (7/23)

Pardon The Interruption (7/23)

Presented by ESPN.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Pardon the Interruption, but I'm Mike Wilbon.

Tony, I was actually getting used to Mariotti and his idiocy. But then I realized you were coming back, and knew the status quo would continue.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

I'm Tony Kornheiser...boy are you in for a surprise, Wilbon.

Welcome to the show ladies and gentlemen...in today's episode, Wilbon and I yap about TO, Larry Brown and my shiny bald head.

We start off the festivities with a TO. No, not a time-out; Terell Owens. Is TO flip-flopping his way to camp? It would certainly appear so:

Quote Originally Posted by Terell Owens
    "I'll be there. I mean, the bottom line is that I still believe I deserve a new contract. I still believe I deserve more than what they've given me. But I'm not stupid. I'm not about to miss training camp, get fined every day and give them even more reasons to keep from paying me.

I'll be there but I won't be happy, I can tell you that much. Take from that whatever you want"
    Mike..what's this guy doing?

MLB ERA
    My name is Mike, not Tony. Is someone getting old?

Anyway, TO is acting like a complete fool here. He is just acting like a baby. Ht. e is playing for a team that still has a chance of winning a Super Bowl and he should be happy about that. Instead he keeps groaning like his life is unfair. Shut your trap.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

It's not even the whining now, Mike...he's not making sense! He threatens to hold out for a new contract, skips workouts, loses money. Now...all of a sudden, he comes back..but remember Eagles, he still wants that contract! Do the Eagles have ANY incentive of giving him a new one?

MLB ERA
    That's why I said he needs to shut his yap! The Eagles don't have any incentive to give him a new contract. Yeah, they certainly could use his help, but he is the one that is acting desperate here.

Enough about TO though, let's move along... and we're moving along to talk some baseball.

Today the Cincinnati Reds traded 3B Joe Randa to the Padres for a couple of their top minor league pitcher. The Padres are also close to a deal with the O's for Sidney Ponson, which would send Phil Nevin to Baltimore. Tony, do either of those teams know what they're doing here?

I can see what each team is trying to do: the Reds are sellers, plain and simple. EdE is knocking at the door, and Randa was gone before he signed with the Reds. The Padres want another SP, and while I don't agree with them going after Ponson, it makes sense. The Orioles wanted to get rid of Ponson, and they do just that, BUT...Nevin? C'mon now...the O's have Gibbons and Palmeiro at 1B and I'm not so sure Nevin is an upgrade over either of them, especially for his price. What do you think?

MLB ERA
    The move with the Reds at least made SOME sense. They are getting a pretty good 3B in return, while giving up a couple of talented prospects. The Ponson/Nevin deal just doesn't make sense to me. Ponson has struggled this year in a big way, and so has Nevin. Why would the O's want offense when they are so desperate for pitching?

The O's wanted to get rid of Ponson. They did that. Success. Look for them to deal Nevin, to the Mets, maybe?

Enough trade rumors, lets move to something that's been CONFIRMED and that is Tedy Bruschi's absense from the Patriots defense in the 2005 season. Wilbon, do you think this might be the beginning of the end of the Patriots dynasty?

MLB ERA
    It might be the beginning of the end, but the Pats will still be a good team. They might not continue winning Super Bowl's, but they should still make the playoffs. And who knows what could happen once you get there? This loss will hurt the team's spirits more than anything else, but they have the leaders to overcome it.

I don't know..the Bills and the Jets are both strong in that AFC East, and Miami still has that defense. I agree though, the Pats will continue to dominate for a little longer.

MLB ERA
    I figured you would Tony. I figured you would...

Next up... Dontrelle Willis. The electric young LHP threw up another stinker last night against the Giants and has struggled over his last few starts mightly. Tony, do you think there is something physically wrong with him or is he just continuing his recent trend of pitching poorly in the 2nd half of the year?

I called it before the season, although you weren't there to witness it. As usual, you missmy moments of greatness...like that birdie I shot at a par-4 487...btu I digress. The D-Train simply gets predictable; hitters adjust. Remember, he only has three different pitches. The only pitchers I see succeeding with less than 4 different pitches are knuckleballers. And last time I checked, Willis was not a knuckleballer.

MLB ERA
    Always the self promoter you are Tony. Always. Anyway, I do think the hitters adjust well to Dontrelle and his jerky motion, but it seems odd that he starts new years well, regardless. I wonder what causes the fast start every year. Any ideas?

The hitters aren't adjusted to him yet! First time around, Willis throws a shutout. The second turn around, they see the ball better get 6 hits off him, no runs; the third, they get a few singles. The fourth, he gives up 8 ER in 4 1/3 IP. What's your take on Willis' early starts?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast