Thread: The future of college basketball

MLB ERA

The future of college basketball

I touched on this earlier when the NBA's new CBA was released, but in this article Memphis head coach basically reiterates what I was tellin you all.

The NBA's Developmental League minimum age will be lowered from 20 to 18.

"Do they go after Greg Oden?" Calipari wondered.

"You give Oden his shoe contract, his endorsements and all of sudden Columbus of the NBDL will sell out (its arena)," Calipari said. "If I'm an NBDL owner, I've got to make some money. I'm not here to lose money."

'If (NCAA executive director) Myles Brand doesn't address this thing, college basketball could eventually become just like college baseball. I not saying that in a negative way, I'm just saying, 'How many people know who was the No. 1 college baseball team in the country. Who was the college player of the year?'"
    Link

I would like to hear some feedback on this.

MLB ERA
    Its not going to take away from college basketball at all. Most of these guys still care about their education, most realize that they may not pan out in terms of playing basketball for a living. If they go to the NBDL, they can make a crappy living (unless they get a shoe deal, and that is unlikely unless you're on Oden's level) for 10 years and then they are left with nothing. In the beginning I don't see many guys trying for the NBDL out of HS, maybe a handfull. Eventually it will be like jumping straight to the pros is now, there will be probably 15 or so guys trying it every year, probably the best players that can get a shoe deal and the ones who won't be able to qualify for college anyway.

MLB ERA
    Obviously, the prep recruits who weren't jumping straight to the pro's before won't start doing it now. I am talking about the elite level prospects, and whether they will choose to go the NBDL route or the one year and done NCAA route. It will be interesting to see if any choose to go to the NBDL, take the money, and work on your game with professionals. I think most players would at first be against going to the NBDL, but sit them down with a good agent and the Nike's, Adida's, Reebok's of the world.. and they can be persuaded.

AA ERA
    Should make NCAA better in my mind. More kids who can still play but won't be NBA stars playing their hearts out every game. I love watching teams like Creighton because they can play very well but there is maybe one or two kids on the team with any shot of playing after college. As long as TV coverage is still there it will work fine.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by awefullspellare
    Should make NCAA better in my mind. More kids who can still play but won't be NBA stars playing their hearts out every game. I love watching teams like Creighton because they can play very well but there is maybe one or two kids on the team with any shot of playing after college. As long as TV coverage is still there it will work fine.
    You love watching a bunch of players who will never amount to anything in the league? It's great to watch in March because of the emotion of elimination, but nobody wants to see a team full of scrubs all year round. It's just like college baseball. Who watches it before the CWS? Nobody I know.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    You love watching a bunch of players who will never amount to anything in the league? It's great to watch in March because of the emotion of elimination, but nobody wants to see a team full of scrubs all year round. It's just like college baseball. Who watches it before the CWS? Nobody I know.
    These players aren't scrubs. Alot of them are very good players they just aren't the elite players. There will still be enough talent in NCAA Basketball to keep it good.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    A team full of scrubs came.. . [ ] that close to being in the final four. At least that team sent Mr. Paul packing. ;D
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    Comparing NCAA baseball to basketball is dumb. At certain schools like Texas, Cal State Fullerton, LSU, and a few others baseball is every bit as big as basketball. Its just that at most schools around the country people just don't care about the sport, it isn't because 60% of the good recruits go to the minors, people just can't get into baseball like they do basketball.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    What's bad about this new agreement is that you have an NBA caliber player who's unable to go to the NBA after high school and he'll go to college for one year ONLY and then leave unless he wants more education. But on the bright side, schools that pick up an NBA-caliber player will help in the recruiting aspect.

I watch college basketball all season, and enjoy every bit of it. Overall I like the new agreement, it should better NCAA and NBA.