View Poll Results: Is the BCS system unlawful?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it is!

3 50.00%
  • No way!

3 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCS: Is it illegal?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

NCAA BCS: Is it illegal?

Attorney General Mark Shurtleff contends the BCS unfairly puts schools like Utah, which is a member of a conference without an automatic bid to the lucrative bowl games, at a competitive and financial disadvantage.
    Utah AG: BCS may violate antitrust laws - College Football - Rivals.com

What do you guys think? Does he have a valid argument?
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

Re: BCS: Is it illegal?

I ****in hate the BCS

That being said, lawmakers should STAY THE **** OUT OF SPORTS. There is nothing remotely illegal about this, and it's setting a horrible precedent. GET OUT OF THINGS YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE INVOLVED IN!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    That being said, lawmakers should STAY THE **** OUT OF SPORTS. There is nothing remotely illegal about this, and it's setting a horrible precedent. GET OUT OF THINGS YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE INVOLVED IN!!!
    I'm not saying that he's right or wrong. But it's a business and involves lots of money. And just like any other kind of business, if you think its operations are shady and unfair, then it should be fair game to be involved and point that out.

MLB ERA

Yes, and I agree, but this to me sounds like a guy who dislikes how the BCS runs, and is making up something to take the BCS down. This thing he's bringing up isn't shady, it's just a problem he's found with the system, which unfortunately isn't his responsibility

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

While it's not his responsibility to find the problem in the system, it's the fact that he feels obligated to challenge a problemed system to make it fair to everyone.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Maybe a lawsuit is exactly what is needed to change this dumb system.

MLB ERA

Yes, and I agree, but this to me sounds like a guy who dislikes how the BCS runs, and is making up something to take the BCS down. This thing he's bringing up isn't shady, it's just a problem he's found with the system, which unfortunately isn't his responsibility

It is a problem, if it violates anti-trust laws then it is totally his buisness as the Utah AG. His job is to make sure Utah and its citizens aren't being biased againist and its clear here that they are. Its not like Utah sat at home and played no one in the non-conf. They played some solid teams. I mean you aren't getting Texas to walk into your house.

To say the BCS isn't biased is a joke, because some conferences get automatic bids while some don't. Thats BIAS right there. After 6+ years of the BCS its clear that a non-BCS school will never reasonably be able to reach the National Title game. That to me implies that a monopoly exists between the Auto-BCS conferences.

I hope he sues and wins and gets a 16 team playoff with every conference champion having a chance to win it all.
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

The precedent he's setting by this is INCREDIBLY dangerous though. It opens the door for politicians to use lawsuits to change whatever they don't like in the world of sports. I don't like them having that power

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

The precedent he's setting by this is INCREDIBLY dangerous though. It opens the door for politicians to use lawsuits to change whatever they don't like in the world of sports. I don't like them having that power
    not really. If he truly believes its an antitrust violation, then he has every duty and responsibility to challenge it as thats part of his job. Like it or not, NCAA sports is a very big business.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

Politicians allow sports to exist by giving them monopoly exempt status, if they want something changed then they should listen cause they wouldn't exist without them. Thats the reason they aren't suing the NCAA cause it has monopoly exempt status i believe
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA

Cute, but no.

MLB ERA

"In the shameful, money-grubbing world of college football. If you're Florida and you beat Alabama, you get a seat in the title game. If you're Utah, you get a seat on your sofa."

Its a valid point, why does Florida get to play in the title game for beating the same team that Utah did? Just cause Utah beat them after they had 4 whole weeks to get ready for them?

I'm sorry if you guys don't like politicans, but they have a place in sports. The BCS is probably illegal, the question is just will the courts let it go.
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Two Big 10 teams in the BCS.. should be illegal.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    It is a problem, if it violates anti-trust laws then it is totally his buisness as the Utah AG. His job is to make sure Utah and its citizens aren't being biased againist and its clear here that they are. Its not like Utah sat at home and played no one in the non-conf. They played some solid teams. I mean you aren't getting Texas to walk into your house.

To say the BCS isn't biased is a joke, because some conferences get automatic bids while some don't. Thats BIAS right there. After 6+ years of the BCS its clear that a non-BCS school will never reasonably be able to reach the National Title game. That to me implies that a monopoly exists between the Auto-BCS conferences.

I hope he sues and wins and gets a 16 team playoff with every conference champion having a chance to win it all.
    I probably haven't agreed with anything you've ever said more.

How does this set a precedent?...like rockin said, NCAAFB is a business with lots and lots of money involved. Not every ruling sets a precedent.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

A ruling like this sets a precedent, absolutely it does. I thought the leagues should be handling the steroids issue themselves, and I think they should handle the BCS debacle themselves. Maybe this is my laissez-faire thinking, but I don't think the government should get involved like this. If it's bad for the league, let the league figure that out. It's not the governments' issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast