View Poll Results: Should the NFL Preseason be scrapped?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it is necessary

5 38.46%
  • Cut it down to 1 or 2 games

7 53.85%
  • Scrap it completely

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the NFL Preseason be scrapped?

MLB ERA

Should the NFL Preseason be scrapped?

The preseason is a breeding ground for injuries. This season has been especially devastating. Teams and players have proven that they can perform at a high level without preseason games. I believe it should be scrapped. Done away with. Gone for good. The serious injuries to star players and important pieces of teams decreases the fan base and excitement for teams, and can sometimes ruin seasons. Some notable injured players who suffered their injuries this preseason include:

Osi Umenyiora, Giants (season ending)
    Chad Johnson, Bengals
    Shawn Merriman, Chargers (career threatening/season ending)
    Harry Williams, Texans (career ending)
    Jason Taylor, Redskins
    Ryan Grant, Packers
    TJ Houshmandzadeh, Bengals
    Marques Colston, Saints
    Wes Welker, Patriots
    Carson Palmer, Bengals

There are plenty of other injuries too, I just made a quick list. These injuries are unnecessary and easily avoided. The risk of injury is too high for the reward of getting a little practice in before the season. About the only thing preseason is good for is a quarterback controversy, and again, IMO the risk-reward is too high of a risk to have preseason for just the few teams with QB controversies. If a team wants to play, let them organize a scrimmage with another team. Preseason is unnecessary.

Your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Should the NFL Preseason be scrapped?

you're gonna list a guy who had his nose broken?
    oh boo freaking hoo
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

I don't think you can completely scrap it. If you do, you're going to end up with players who have taken an offseason off, and are (for the most part) unprepared to go back to full contact games. So, I would definitely support cutting the length of the preseason to 1 or 2 games, but eliminating it as a whole would be a bad idea in my mind.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

You're overreacting because of the Osi injury (which I totally understand). But I've maintained for a while that 2 preseason games is more than enough, especially considering that most starters don't play in the 4th one.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am torn on this. People pay full price for these games which is just criminal. But then again I rather have ESPN talk about a variety of things going on rather than them analyzing the same games for four days straight. Tough call.

MLB ERA

Full price, no.

But Michael Kay made the case today. If there's even one meaningless game, someone will complain when their guy gets hurt.

Rookie
    Rookie ERA

You need all 4 weeks. Its not about seeing the starters play. The preseason if for players to fight for positions and fight for a spot on the team. This is where coaches figure out what players get to stay with the club and those that have to wait till next year. Injuries happen, its part of the physical aspect of the sport. Why not just get rid of Spring training and games for baseball as well.

Official Strike 3 Forums NIT Champion 2008

MLB ERA

Merriman shouldn't be on the list.

His injury took place in the playoffs last year.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I want more regular season games.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

College teams don't have preseason games and they do just fine. NFL does not need 4 weeks to find out who makes the team and what position. They practice forever and have camps all the time.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

3 weeks is fine for pre season.

1st week, no starters play, 2nd and 3rd tier players. 10% ticket price.
    2nd week, starters for a half or less, 2nd and any 3rd tier players that are left for the rest of the game. 50% ticket price
    3rd week, starters for a half minimum, everyone else for the rest. 80% ticket price.

Rookie
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    They practice forever and have camps all the time.
    Have you ever played a sport? do you know how different practice and camps are than actual games?

Official Strike 3 Forums NIT Champion 2008

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Have you ever played a sport???? I played college baseball and we were just fine not having "preseason" games. I've played many sports. Their's a difference but minimal. Again, college football doesn't need preseason games and they play just fine. Somehow college coaches know who is going to play where and when without these "real game" situations. NFL coaches can't? NFL teams have more coaches and a lot more practice time than colleges do. They don't need the games but want to make money which is the bottom line. Have I played a sport

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Have you ever played a sport???? I played college baseball and we were just fine not having "preseason" games. I've played many sports. Their's a difference but minimal. Again, college football doesn't need preseason games and they play just fine. Somehow college coaches know who is going to play where and when without these "real game" situations. NFL coaches can't? NFL teams have more coaches and a lot more practice time than colleges do. They don't need the games but want to make money which is the bottom line. Have I played a sport
    I totally agree. Look at Strahan last year. He worked out in the offseason and preseason, and he even missed the camp. And he had a very good season. It's not necessary. Maybe 1 game for position battles is necessary, because I do believe game situations are somewhat necessary for those. Nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

AAA ERA

You know how many more injuries would happen from no pre-season? You have to have it. It also lets backups get evaluated. If you don't want your franchise players to get hurt, don't play them in the pre-season. Every team has this option.

But football is a physical sport. Injuries happen in training camp, and the regular season. Yet everyone picks on the pre-season. My Bears lost their 1st round draft pick for probably the year in training camp. Should we scrap that now? Ya it sucks if a good player gets hurt, but guys get hurt during the season.

If you shorten the pre-season, it's my understanding they'd add more regular season games. You'd increase injury risk by adding more games. Instead of a guy playing a quarter, he's playing the whole game. So if he gets hurt week 1 in the 4th quarter (the former week 3 of pre-season). Well then everyone would say "Well he shouldn't have even been playing then."

Everyone just needs to quit crying when things don't go there way. Let me ask you this Giantsfan, will your so called scrimmages reduce the risk of injury in ANY way?
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast