Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Brett Favre Saga - Why No One is Bigger than the Game

MLB ERA

Article The Brett Favre Saga - Why No One is Bigger than the Game

Brett Favre. One of the most beloved players in the league. One of the most incredible men to ever have graced the game of American Football. One of the most storied legends that I as a fan feel graced to be able to watch play.

Also now....he's ruined it all. For me at least.

Brett Favre has decided that he, the legend, the great....the god, can do whatever he wants. And when he doesn't get what he wants, he whines. He cries. He complains.

The worst part: he's showing fans he thinks he's bigger than the game. And NO ONE, not even Brett Favre, is bigger than the game.

Here's my beef: Brett Favre retired. I understand that he misses the game. I understand that he has the urge to play again. That's fine. I don't even have a problem with him returning. BUT. BUT. He retired. He forced the Green Bay Packers and Packer nation to believe that he was gone. Done. Finally packing it up. And they had to deal with that. They had to prepare, going into the offseason, that they were going to open next season against the Vikings without number 4. And they did just that. They told Aaron Rogers that he will be the starting QB, and all the Packers fans, after having a good cry in Favre's memory (which I joined in), jumped on the Rogers bandwagon.

And then it all changed.

Favre decided he wanted to come back. Not what I would recommend in terms of sealing his legacy, but that's not my decision. I respect his decision to return. What I don't respect are his demands. He thinks, after the position he put the Packers in, that he can just change his mind and come back where he left off, and because he's Brett Favre, and because of everything he's done for that franchise, that he can just do whatever he wants, and no one will care.

Well I'm sorry to break it to you Brett. You can't just do that. You force your team to move on, and they will. Careers come and go, but the game does not. And your career, as far as the Packers were concerned, was over. And they had to deal. And deal they did. You can't just come back and expect everyone to embrace it.

He wants to either be the starter in Green Bay, or be released. The Packers have no obligation to do that. I totally understand what the Pack is doing. They want to move on with Rogers, but they aren't going to just let Favre go without at least getting something in return for letting him potentially go to a rival. I don't see what's so horrible about that.

That's my beef. I'd love to hear everyone else's opinion. But I do not believe that Brett deserves anything from this franchise. They have respected his decision, and made adjustments accordingly. And now he expects them to reverse 5 months of preparation and adjustments because he got an urge. That's not how this business and this game works.

I wrote this article because I'm angry, and I'm fed up with him expecting the world to bow down to his every request.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Re: The Brett Favre Saga - Why No One is Bigger than the Game

First off, its Aaron Rodgers.

Second off, I don't really have a problem with Brett. I mean, once I got to the point where I accept his coming back, theres nothing left to fight. If he hadn't retired, and the team kept him a hostage, everyone would be up in arms. I understand it's different, but I don't even really get the sense that they are looking very seriously for a deal. So, I think that the Packers are being just as immature as Brett. Feel free to disagree, that's just how I feel.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Brett Favre? Hah, try Diego Maradona. Who wouldn't have taken his side against the head coach in a feud?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

if the packers want to win, they take favre back with all his drama queen attitude. if they want to lose, they dont take him back.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I want to see him play, for someone at least. He should just make his own team.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Packers are better off going with Aaron Rogers. Did the Packers win anything last year with Farve? Nope, they sure didn't. Why do people think Farve will repeat last year's performance another year older? You can either have both Favre and Rogers this year and NO ONE next year or have Rogers from here on out. Don't be dumb and think Rogers is just going to wait another year to start.

MLB ERA

What would you guys think of Favre playing for the Vikings? I think it would completely and utterly ruin him and his legend.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

This whole saga has ruined his legacy to a degree.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    This whole saga has ruined his legacy to a degree.
    I agree. But if he dons a Vikings uniform, and if he steps under center facing the Green and Gold defense on Week 1, he will be facing an all-time low in fan interest.

Tony Kornheiser just summed up my whole article and train of thought:
    TK: "Is he (Favre) want to play football?"
    MW: "Yes"
    TK: "Is he under contract with the Green Bay Packers?"
    MW: "Yes"
    TK: "Then he should report to Green Bay and listen to what the Packers want to do, either release him, or trade him, or keep him as a backup"

Thank you Tony, i'm glad someone respectable agrees with me.

MLB ERA

But Kyle, think about it this way. He wants to report....they told him not to. He asked them to trade him(if any other player did this, you'd understand that they just want a chance to start). The reason you're hating on him is because he prematurely decided to retire. That's his fault. But I don't blame him for the rest of it.

MLB ERA

I made it clear I had no problem with any of his decisions. And I am blaming him for the rest of it. The Packers telling him not to report is ridiculous. But everything else is not their fault

MLB ERA

But if a young guy demanded a trade, you wouldn't flip out on him. The fact that you want him retired is what upsets you most.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    But if a young guy demanded a trade, you wouldn't flip out on him. The fact that you want him retired is what upsets you most.
    Maybe it does. If a young guy demanded a trade, i wouldn't have a problem with it because he didn't have any retirement issues. Favre put his team in a position to move on with his retirement, he can't expect the world to bow down to him when he changes his mind 5 months later

MLB ERA

Agreed, but now he's back. If he's gonna be their backup, what's wrong with demanding a trade? They clearly don't want him anyway, why is it a big deal?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Agreed, but now he's back. If he's gonna be their backup, what's wrong with demanding a trade? They clearly don't want him anyway, why is it a big deal?
    Because you can't just trade a guy. You have to find the right deal at the right value. And they're looking, they just haven't found it yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast