Thread: Eight Belles dies at Derby

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Eight Belles dies at Derby

2nd place horse broke its ankles as the race ended. They had to put it down.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Eight Belles dies at Derby

No way. As much as I love horse racing, it's really sad how terribly these horses have to be treated in order to prepare them for racing. Atleast he's out of his misery now.

Big Brown won by the way. First horse to win after starting in the No. 20 spot.

MLB ERA

Broke both front ankles, there was nothing they could do.

I was always wondering why they couldn't just put a cast on it like they do with people, immoblize the horse for a while, and let them heal. For all those that are wondering the same thing, horses have this thing where they have to be standing a lot, or else they get sick and die a painful death. I don't know why it happens, maybe someone who knows more about horses can explain, but that's the short of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Poor horse. If the doc that talked to Kenny Rice right after he got the news were any more blunt about it, he'd said, "It's dead, Kenny."

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    Broke both front ankles, there was nothing they could do.

I was always wondering why they couldn't just put a cast on it like they do with people, immoblize the horse for a while, and let them heal. For all those that are wondering the same thing, horses have this thing where they have to be standing a lot, or else they get sick and die a painful death. I don't know why it happens, maybe someone who knows more about horses can explain, but that's the short of it.
    Horses don't neccessarily have to be standing, but it is much easier for them physically to remain standing than to lay down. It goes back to when all horses were wild and needed to be alert at all times. It takes them so long to go from standing to laying down and vice versa, that if a predator would come and try to attack it then the horse would be easy prey. So horses do pretty much everything standing. It is also important for them to stand as much as possible because of their digestive system. When a horse is ill (or even not ill, but very susceptible to being ill like derby horse is), standing up regulates the digestive system and prevents things like worms and parasites from totally wreaking havoc on a horse.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I hit the exacta $141.00... But here is the thing that pisses me off. If you don't run on a dirt track horse's WONT lose there life. The synthetic tracks prevent injuries and save the horse. I think maybe all race tracks need to put in the synthetic surface's. Two years in a row two great horses die. I know it's only a horse, but think if you were the one spending millions on a horse and they die. Financially your hurting.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by hot_corner_gurl View Post
    Horses don't neccessarily have to be standing, but it is much easier for them physically to remain standing than to lay down. It goes back to when all horses were wild and needed to be alert at all times. It takes them so long to go from standing to laying down and vice versa, that if a predator would come and try to attack it then the horse would be easy prey. So horses do pretty much everything standing. It is also important for them to stand as much as possible because of their digestive system. When a horse is ill (or even not ill, but very susceptible to being ill like derby horse is), standing up regulates the digestive system and prevents things like worms and parasites from totally wreaking havoc on a horse.
    I see. That makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Oh one more thing, She gave everything and finished second, It looked like she started to break down just past the final turn. If she was not hurt she may have beat Big Brown. The exacta would have been close to $1000.00. With the tri being at or close to $10,000.

Super paid over $58,000!!!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan View Post
    But here is the thing that pisses me off. If you don't run on a dirt track horse's WONT lose there life. The synthetic tracks prevent injuries and save the horse. I think maybe all race tracks need to put in the synthetic surface's.
    Well, that's something I didn't know. I would have thought that synthetic turf tend to cause more leg injuries like it does for human athletes.

MLB ERA

Interesting facts here. It is very unfortunate what happened to Eight Belles, just like it was with Barbaro, and every other horse who has been hurt racing.

MLB ERA

nope,

mofo it is a soft surface that protects the horse. It great for them. Its kind of like walking threw mud. Its soft but protective. Hope that helps..
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Gotcha. I just came across an article written before the race in which Nick Zito says he hates the stuff.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Another very sad ending to what was a very good race. I hate to see this kinda thing happen to such beautiful animals.