Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA in for a lockout?

AA ERA

NBA in for a lockout?

David Stern and Billy Hunter (NBA Players Association Director) does not seem very optimistic about the NBA next season. I hear rumors that the agents are trying to get a lockout. I hope that's not the case. It would be a real tragedy if the NBA is on strike. First off, I love the sport. It's my favorite sport to follow. For the sport to shut down next season would be so devestating for fans who need a fix with baseball in hibernation for the winter. It's bad enough the NHL is still on lockout and odds are that there won't be a NHL season next year. College basketball does not do it for me. It would kill me to see the NBA lockout. Second reason why it would be a tragedy is because most workers would be laid off if there is no NBA season. NHL teams has fired people left and right thanks to the selfishness of the NHL players. Finally, I know lot of people that have not forgiven the league and players for the 1998 lockout to start the season. With what's going on with people not having the jobs that they desire and the fact they are on part-time jobs, they are not going to put up with these players and owners.

I have faith that Stern and Hunter will work things out though. NBA would be wise to realize the consequences if there is a lockout or if it festers way too long like the NHL. NHL got lot of problems and when they come back, I wish them luck getting fans. NBA should not think that they are bulletproof. They could have problems with getting fans back in some cities like Toronto and Minneapolis.

It's really a sad commentary on sports where every league wants a lockout. MLB's CBA is about to end real soon and you know the owners still want a salary cap and who knows about the NFL and the NFLPA.

As bad as the Timberwolves are going to be next year, I rather see them lose and not play. I really hope the NBA does not dissapoint me.

MLB ERA
    no!!!! I serioulsy hope it deosnt go into a lockout Just when im starting to follow NBA too

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Finally some prayers are answered.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Finally some prayers are answered.
    you dont like basketball? Sorry I dont understand you

Yes! I want a lockout just so we can get some wonderful quotes from the Einsteins that play the game.

Like Kenny Anderson who complained during the last lockout that it was costing him his "$10,000 a month in hangout money" and that he would be forced to sell one of his eight luxury cars....or Iverson who had one of his Mercedes impounded due to non-sufficient payments...or the best, Ewing and his classic "Hey, we may make a lot of money, but we also spend a lot of money" excuse.

Know who I'm going to feel sorry for...Spreewell, how is he going to feed his family?????

AAA ERA
    omg if they go into a lockout i will be pissed!!!

I hope they go on lockout, so we can focus on college basketball! I feel sorry for the guys going into the draft that aren't college seniors though.

MLB ERA
    I rather have them go through another lockout than give into these pathetic, rich owners.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Yes I hate basketball. Whiners and complainers, no defense, dunk or threes only please. Its all a crock. And the biggest star the NBA has has no respect for the game or himself and that man is Shaq! **** the NBA!

MLB ERA
    Yes I hate basketball. Whiners and complainers, no defense, dunk or threes only please. Its all a crock. And the biggest star the NBA has has no respect for the game or himself and that man is Shaq! **** the NBA!
    Why do you care who has respect for the game.. when you have none?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    What is up with every sport having a lockout? This is getting too old. Fans lose more and more respect for professional sports every time another lockout comes about. My thoughts are that all professional sports are very smart businesses. You get guys that can play a sport better than anyone else on the planet and they get payed good money. That money comes from the fans and endorsments. The fans are the ones who buy into all the hype for the simple love of the sport and the love of "their" team. So, how can we complain about all the money players make? They only get it because it is a greatly successful muti-billion dollar business. It is entertainment in its finest. We don't complain about how much money Denzel Washington made off JohnQ, do we? So, why complain about professional athletes?

This lockout is the reason why. We see player's associations and agents complaining about money and we get a lockout. Simple as that. Terrel Owens wants to make more money than the likes of the rest of the players in the NFL? Well, if he puts up the numbers then why not? The owners and players are going to have to come up with an agreement. Do you want to play for us? Will you do it for less money than what this team will give you? If not, see you later, wish we could help you out. That is when I call a player greedy for money. Other players are greedy for a championship. Look at Clemens right now. He wants to leave a losing team, and therefore is greedy for a ring. So it comes down to a choice, what are you greedy for? There are plenty of opportunities to do whatever you'd like. But why have a lockout to strike against not making enough? It will never make sense. A lot of people say that if you go to college, you will learn how to budget your money wisely. Well, I say that is false. 90% of professional athletes have gone to college, yet every sport outside of the NFL gets a lockout and the players complain that they do not have enough money to support their habits. Thats ridiculous and is the only part that will hurt these great businesses.

Just curious, who said 90% of college students learn to balance a checkbook? I know many fellow students who majored in Finance (Which was my college major as well) who are horrible with balancing funds.

With players, their problem is they've got advisors handing their funds and they have no idea how it's handled, where it's handled, etc. Details did an excellent story back when Jayson Williams was still with the Nets and a teammate came up to him smiling and boasted that his agent "Made him $3000 profit on an investment". Williams then screams at the guy because he didn't know which investment it was nor was it his call to invest, Williams asked him "How many times has your agent called to tell you he lost you $3000?". Williams then griped about how NBA rookies were being manipulated by agents, investors and even their friends (At the beginning of this article his posse tried an old trick - one guy wants to invest in hats with blinking lights when all of a sudden a stranger comes and starts trouble with Williams, only to be taken outside by the posse and worked on...then the guy turns back to Williams and notes "Hey, we take care of you, how about you take care of us?").

And we can make the arguments about a player earning so much compared to actors, or even CEOs. Truth is they're all overpaid (However it hurts less to pay $7.50 for a ticket to a movie than it does $70 for a ticket to the game) - it's just the way it is. This is nothing more than Owners wanting a bigger share of the pie/protection for themselves and agents wanting better control over negotiations. In simpleness, it's an ego battle, just like in politics, just like in almost every aspect when guys who have been pampered their whole lives are unwilling to compromise.....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    Why do you care who has respect for the game.. when you have none?
    Hard to respect a game where the stars don't.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I said 90% of professional athletes went to college. That percentage is just a guess, but should be accurate. But my thoughts on college players being able to budget their money comes from when a player like Lebraon James comes out of high school and everyone tries to use the excuse about him needing to go to college because he will have to mature through the experience and learn how to use his money right. Like I said before, I don't buy it.

MLB ERA
    Hard to respect a game where the stars don't.
    Exactly. I don't respect Basketball, or thier players.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast