Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overwhelming Success in Iraq

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Democrats and Republicans don't shoot each in the street or blow themselves up.
    That may be something I'd encourage Iraqis to vote for.

MLB ERA
    Success comes in STAGES, not all at once. This is a huge step in the right direction, yet again, for the Iraqis. Does it mean that it is suddenly some perfect utopia or some John Lennon "imagine" fantasy place (that can never happen)?? No...

They have to learn what to do with their freedom. They have to understand that the hardest part about freedom is keeping it. They have to learn that it is nothing but hard work to keep it, with lots of strife while you do. But it is certainly worth it.
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    Woo, they get to vote.

Does that mean the "Operation: Iraqi Freedom" will be over soon?
    Look what is in common with every war on foreign soil that America has ever won.

We never leave. Germany, Korea, Japan, etc... We retain a military presence in the form of a base to support our new ally, even after the new free govt is set up.

Do not assume that we will ever be out of there, though we could. For this is a far different situation. BUT even if complete exit were going to happen, it would not be for a LONG time. While the majority probably will in some time within say the next year or 2 (severe guestimation), I believe we will always have some sort of military presence.
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    yay, they can vote. there still won't be peace though. so I don't know why you are so full of glee. iraq is still a nation of two groups who hate each others guts. i am trying to be as politically neutral so as not to step on to many toes, but i am just lookin at that country. and not seeing what is so overwhelmingly successful.
    You're demonstrating just how much you take for granted. If you can't find anything in Iraq to be happy about, then you're just a bitter, angry, pessimist. Hell, it took the United States 7 years just to ratify the Constitution. It only took Iraquis less than 3 years to go from tyranny to a constitutional democracy!

Be proud of your country for once in your life.

Sure there may be two (or more) groups of people that hate each other. Now, I know how you're infatuated with racism, but is it not worth at least trying to make peace between the two groups? Dr Martin Luther King said "Peace is not the absence of conflict, but merely the presence of justice."

MLB ERA
    I now know all the little things I take for granted. I got out there and within the first week I knew all the things we take for granted. If you were there than you would understand.

I have been back since October and I will most likely go back sometime in the future.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

"Hell, it took the United States 7 years just to ratify the Constitution. It only took Iraquis less than 3 years to go from tyranny to a constitutional democracy!"

Let's be fair, the situations are completely different simply due to the time period (information, help, etc. travels a lot quicker now than it did then. Hell, things like the telephone and airplane were invented between 1800 and 2000).
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild
    I, for one, am extremly pleased to see them vote, and happy that they're finally getting the chance. and frankly if you aren't, then just keep it to yourself bro.
    Who are you to tell some to keep their opinion to their self simply because it is not that of the majority? That's pretty low. Hell, that's un-American.

AAA ERA

Dead eyes see no future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Let's be fair, the situations are completely different simply due to the time period (information, help, etc. travels a lot quicker now than it did then. Hell, things like the telephone and airplane were invented between 1800 and 2000).
    Rhetorical Question:
    And just who exactly is helping Iraq start a democracy?

'Nother Rhetorical Question:
    Shouldn't we be proud that the help we have provided has been a success?

Last Rhetorical Question:
    Shouldn't we give credit where it is due to both the force on the ground in Iraq and also to the administration responsible for their accomplishments, rather than irresponsibly claim they have false motives, and celebrate milestones of dead soldiers and civilians?

Where did you get that from? I just said the time period is different, so comparing the ratification of the constitution to the transition in Iraq is unfair.

Yes
    U.S.A.
    Yes.

I never said the force of a world superpower didn't make it faster (hell, that's reason #2), I was just saying it is unfair to compare eras. I don't know where the flying **** you got the idea that I was "irresponsibly claiming" false motives.

AAA ERA
    None of those questions were directed at you personally, Fisher, I didn't mean it to sound like that. That is why I called them Rhetorical questions. Calm down, bro I'm on your side. The last two question were directed to those that think Iraq has not been a success. Sorry for the confusion.

I think it is fair to compare years, because how long would it have taken Iraq to achieve a constitutiuonal democracy on their own? What makes it a success is the fact that we're helping, and the help we've provided has made a drastic difference.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Who are you to tell some to keep their opinion to their self simply because it is not that of the majority? That's pretty low. Hell, that's un-American.
    theres some things that just shouldn't be said
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

No, there is not such a thing. Any person should have the right to say anything anywhere, but if a punishment is imposed on that person for saying it, so be it. I have no problem with a store or website punishing someone for saying something clearly against the rules (like, saying bomb in an airplane or win method in 800 posts or so on S3F (which translates to trolling)), but to restrict the right of a person to say something is no better than being forced to vote for someone they didn't want to under threat of punishment.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild
    theres some things that just shouldn't be said
    That's a dangerous thought. Who decides what should and shouldn't be said? Who gave that person the right to judge what we ought to say or keep to ourselves? What if that person decides that all speech contrary to their agenda "shouldn't" be said?

The whole idea behind free speech is that the more opinions that are present, the easier it is to determine what is the truth and what is garbage. People have become so enamored with the means that they forget what to ultimate Goal of free speech is, and don't think that the have to be held accountable for their remarks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12