Thread: Xbox does second round of 360s

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Xbox does second round of 360s

By Mike Snider, USA TODAY
    Those who missed out on the early Xbox 360 mania may get a second chance this week to find the new game system in stores.

Meanwhile, among those who managed to purchase the first systems, a small percentage already are shipping them back to Microsoft for repairs.

Major retailers such as Wal-Mart and Best Buy ran out within hours of last Tuesday's launch.

"We knew demand would outstrip supply for some time," says Circuit City's Jim Babb. "I have been told we'll get additional supplies, so I can only advise customers keep checking back with stores and on the website."

Microsoft's Molly O'Donnell says the company has "a weekly replenishment strategy." The first follow-up shipment "is on the way, and it should be on retailers' shelves by the end of the week or for the weekend."

Microsoft won't say how many of the $300-and-up systems were available at launch. American Technology Research analyst P.J. McNealy estimates 300,000 to 400,000 have been sold. The company expects to ship as many as 3 million worldwide within three months; the 360 launches in Europe Friday and Japan Dec. 10.

While Microsoft benefits from the buzz created by quick sellouts, McNealy says, "I think they would have been happy to have sold another million if they could have. They just didn't have them."

Meanwhile, Microsoft is acting quickly to address early reports of crashes and glitches. "We are doing everything we can to take care of gamers who are having problems," says O'Donnell, who says the rate of complaints is below the 3% to 5% expected with new electronics products. (Those with problems should call 1-800-4MY-XBOX.)

Online message boards have reflected a number of technical issues, including hardware failure (indicated by three red lights on the power button), freezing games, scratched discs and overheated power supplies.

"As soon as the actual gameplay starts, it locks up," says owner Clayton Leasure, 26, of Knoxville, Tenn. He called the support line and was sent a prepaid box to use to ship his console back. "They have been helpful and prompt, so I can't ask for much more," he says.

Not all customers are satisfied. "The level of incompetence I have had to deal with is unbelievable," says Brian Smith, 48, of Owasso, Okla., who is trying to get a new power supply. "I can't describe how disappointed I've been."

Still, Richard Doherty of tech consulting firm Envisioneering Group gives Microsoft an "A" grade for the launch so far. "It could be an A plus if they pull through Christmas with this just being misuse or a misconception," Doherty says. "Do you want to wait six more months for an A plus? Not the gamers I saw in line on Tuesday."
    Article Link

Doesn't this always happen? The first batch is always defective.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    The return of the "Blue Screen of Death"
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

Rookie ERA
    I think it pretty funny all those people who waited outside for hours have to send it back right away.

MLB ERA
    I'll wait on the Revolution, I may get a 360 but I won't pick one up until 2007 when more games are out and the bugs get fixed (hopefully)
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay_is_God
    I'll wait on the Revolution, I may get a 360 but I won't pick one up until 2007 when more games are out and the bugs get fixed (hopefully)

same here, Im going to wait till everyone has it then get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox21
    I think it pretty funny all those people who waited outside for hours have to send it back right away.
    That is pretty funny. I wouldnt' even wait in line for hours to get a Revolution.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    today I read that 450,000 were sold the first day and only 550,000 would be available for the rest of the holiday shopping season. I'm all set either way...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    My little brother really wants one for Christmas. So far nothing has wowed me but then again assuming I get my HD TV for my room (I found a pretty great looking one that's a 26 inch Panasonic at Circuit City for $400 after some rebates), I wouldn't mind to see how a game like Call of Duty 2 looks on it.

To those waiting for the PS3 or the Revolution though, learn a lesson here and pre-order it when you can. I feel sorry for anyone working at a EB Games or whatever... the phone probably doesn't quit ringing at all.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    My little brother really wants one for Christmas. So far nothing has wowed me but then again assuming I get my HD TV for my room (I found a pretty great looking one that's a 26 inch Panasonic at Circuit City for $400 after some rebates), I wouldn't mind to see how a game like Call of Duty 2 looks on it.

To those waiting for the PS3 or the Revolution though, learn a lesson here and pre-order it when you can. I feel sorry for anyone working at a EB Games or whatever... the phone probably doesn't quit ringing at all.

Hmm I might consider doing that after what you said, thankx for the advice.

rep+

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The best time to do it is when the pricing is announced for the system because that's USUALLY when places like Gamestop or EB Games begin taking pre-orders.

Rookie ERA
    Gamestop is the shit, just got a PS2 and 2 games plus a memory card for like 150

MLB ERA
    as for the Revolution I think Nintendo will announce everything at E3
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

I'm definately preordering the Revolution as soon as the pre-orders are available/

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay_is_God
    as for the Revolution I think Nintendo will announce everything at E3
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140464.html

Im am with Pac Man about pre ordering it as soon as it is avaliable.