Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

Re: The TV show Discussion thread *possible spoilers

True Detective is fantastic

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Epic Dean View Post
    True Detective is fantastic
    Shit! Has the 2nd season started!? No. You're just referring to Season 1? Loved it.

Did some reading about Pizzolatto and some of the influences on his script. A book called, "The King in Yellow" by Robert Chambers, first published in 1895. I bought it and read it. Weird stuff. Also started reading an anthology of short stories called, "Season in Carcosa" -- all stories that somehow reference or are influenced by Chambers' original book. "Carcosa", the pallid mask, the King in Yellow, the black stars, Lake Hali -- all references that come from Chambers book. Would love to see them still have a tie in to all of this in Season 2, even if they have new characters. Supposedly Season 2 will be set in LA. I loved the Louisiana setting for Season 1. Brilliantly photographed -- or filmed, whatever the correct term would be.
    Last edited by Cyanatic; 06-12-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanatic View Post
    Shit! Has the 2nd season started!? No. You're just referring to Season 1? Loved it.
    You certainly deduced that like a true detective.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

2nd season is based in California and will probably be terrible. Nothing will live up to Harrelson and McConaughey

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by schisno View Post
    You certainly deduced that like a true detective.

Hardy har.

2nd season is based in California and will probably be terrible. Nothing will live up to Harrelson and McConaughey
    True. Although there are rumors that McConaughey might make an appearance or two. Still not the same, though.
    Last edited by Cyanatic; 06-12-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Rookie ERA

Wait! What!? No. Not possible!!!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

how have i not discovered workaholics before today.

MLB ERA

Finished True Detective last weekend. Good stuff, although it did seem to suddenly all 'fall together' in the final episode just a bit too quickly. The leadup all the way to that final episode was really good and suddenly it kind of felt like the director was reminded that he only had one episode left and he needed to tidy up the mess, which he did in a very prompt fashion.

I'm not complaining too much about it, overall I thought it was a good series with an interesting story. I'm not typically a very big fan of either Woody or Matt, but I though they both acted out of their skins in this show.

Now I must move on to something else. I have seen the first few episodes of Ray Donovan so I might finish that up. Still waiting on S3 of Game of Thrones. Maybe I'll pick up Sons of Anarchy.

Rookie ERA

"The Leftovers" -- Anybody watching this? HBO. Based on a book that I haven't read. Just finished watching the first episode. So far I like it, but I'm partial to odd movies (or shows) that create an unusual situation that is a mystery. Because I didn't read the book, I have no idea what, if anything, eventually gets explained. The potential problem with a show like this is that they just keep perpetuating the mystery without explaining anything. Or it develops into a soap opera that just happens to be set in weird circumstances. Or they gradually reveal things but then they lose their mystery, or the explanation is no satisfying or credible. The hard thing in a show like this is to keep striking the right tone, keeping the tension and odd vibe, but also developing the plot rather than stagnating. It's a tricky line to walk and I'm hoping they make a go of this show. It's got me hooked and wanting to see how things develop.

I watched it with my daughter, and we do already have a kind of inside joke about it. The mysterious, guru-like character Wayne. When the police chief's son is told that Wayne wants to speak to him, it's like this big reverential, scary attitude. "He wants to talk to me?" "Wayne (dramatic pause) will come to you."

"Wayne.........wants you to clean the dishes in the sink." "Wayne.....said it's time to go to bed." I guess you have to see the scene. Just something about it kind of cracked me up.

"It's time to go to work....."

Rookie ERA

"The Leftovers" -- Anybody watching this? HBO. Based on a book that I haven't read. Just finished watching the first episode. So far I like it, but I'm partial to odd movies (or shows) that create an unusual situation that is a mystery. Because I didn't read the book, I have no idea what, if anything, eventually gets explained. The potential problem with a show like this is that they just keep perpetuating the mystery without explaining anything. Or it develops into a soap opera that just happens to be set in weird circumstances. Or they gradually reveal things but then they lose their mystery, or the explanation is no satisfying or credible. The hard thing in a show like this is to keep striking the right tone, keeping the tension and odd vibe, but also developing the plot rather than stagnating. It's a tricky line to walk and I'm hoping they make a go of this show. It's got me hooked and wanting to see how things develop.

I watched it with my daughter, and we do already have a kind of inside joke about it. The mysterious, guru-like character Wayne. When the police chief's son is told that Wayne wants to speak to him, it's like this big reverential, scary attitude. "He wants to talk to me?" "Wayne (dramatic pause) will come to you."

"Wayne.........wants you to clean the dishes in the sink." "Wayne.....said it's time to go to bed." I guess you have to see the scene. Just something about it kind of cracked me up.

"It's time to go to work....."
    It's on my list. Currently, I'm working my way through watching LOST for the first time. Somehow I've avoided all spoilers for 10 years, so, please don't ruin that now. But I'm through about 33 episodes in 3 days.
    LeagueTeamRecordPlayoff RecordDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLMariners293-517 (.362)0-0000002055-Present
    TBLPhillies559-413 (.575)20-24 (Series Record 2-6)412002013-End
    MSLTigers124-362 (.255)0-0000002052-2054

LeagueTeamRecordPlayoff RecordDivision TitlesConference Titles Championship WinsYears as GM
    KBSLNew York Knicks58-24 (.707)9-7 (2-1 series record)00000

Rookie ERA

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Lynch View Post
    I have seen the first few episodes of Ray Donovan so I might finish that up. Still waiting on S3 of Game of Thrones. Maybe I'll pick up Sons of Anarchy.
    Halfway through S1 of Ray Donovan. Going to try and get through 2 or 3 episodes tonight so I can mail the disc back to Netflix in the morning. Decent series other than the wench that plays his wife. Don't like her character, don't like her acting. The story is getting a bit more interesting now. Trying to figure out exactly wtf Ray and his "bosses" did to his dad 20 yrs ago. Hopefully it's a juicy reveal and not something drab. Jon Voight is a real dildo in this show, but he is playing that asshat of a father character very well. I wonder if he got any nominations for his role.

Game of Thrones - 2 episodes left in Season 3. It's been a good/solid season, but up to this point, it's not earthshattering like I had been hearing about. Maybe the climax in the final 2 episodes will prove different and make it all worth while. I can honestly say, that I watched the first 2 seasons each in about 3 nights/sittings. I couldn't stop watching. Season 3 has been a bit of a yawner for me. It's not bad, by any means (other Joffrey who needs a pike up his ass), but I find myself dozing off quite often in this season. Even took me 3 sittings to get through one episode in the middle of the season. (doesn't help that I typically watch while in bed)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

has anyone watched the strain yet? i got the first 3 episodes taped [or taping, as it was], but i havent heard anyone talking about it. is it any good? i guess i could just watch it... but im too busy watching other things.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

black jesus is the greatest show ever.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtyIzwKwWIU

I know Leo has got 9/9 circled on his calendar.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast