Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best album from the first half of 2005?

MLB ERA

Best album from the first half of 2005?

I'll post mine after I see some of the responses, but since the year is just about half over, it's a good question to pose. IMO, the first half hasn't had very many good releases but there have been a few if you look hard enough.

We're Not Happy 'Till You're Not Happy-Reel Big Fish.

Okay album, I just haven't bought shit.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I haven't bought anything either. =[
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Rookie ERA
    Well, #1 seems really, really easy, at least to me... after that, not so much.

1. Coldplay - X&Y
    2. Finch - Say Hello To Sunshine
    3. Audioslave - Out Of Exile
    4. Gorillaz - Demon Days
    5. System Of A Down - Mezmerize
    6. Alkaline Trio - Crimson
    7. Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This To Memory
    8. Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree
    9. Bloodsimple - A Cruel World
    10. Circa Survive - Juturna

Not the best half year. Definitely looking forward to Death Cab For Cutie's upcoming release.

JM2CW
    GO METS!

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by UConnMetFan

1. Coldplay - X&Y
    4. Gorillaz - Demon Days

Not the best half year. Definitely looking forward to Death Cab For Cutie's upcoming release.

JM2CW
    Cant say I was to happy with that one, especially after their first album. What It Is to Burn was awesome.

Rookie ERA
    I hear that a lot. I'm one of... maybe 5-6 people I know who think SHTS was even better than WIITB.
    GO METS!

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by UConnMetFan

1. Coldplay - X&Y
    4. Gorillaz - Demon Days

JM2CW
    Will agree with you on Mezmerize & Demon Days. I thought Out Of Exile was painfully mediocre, though. I would also have to add Be to my personal list.

I haven't heard X&Y yet.

Rookie ERA
    X&Y is really good, albeit not a whole lot different from Parachutes and AROBTTH.

Out Of Exile was only slightly better than the self-titled, disappointing because with the superstar talent there you'd expect a great album. I'm holding out hope that they put out an album matching what Down On The Upside was for Soundgarden, though.
    GO METS!

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Well, I'm very picky about what I buy, usually only buy stuff I really want, and with the exception of a few things I have, the average person is going to know what it is, but with that being said here is what I've bought in 2005.

Feeder - Pushing the Senses (import because it hasn't been released in the US) - this is probably my favorite album so far this year, especially when you add the 6 b-sides from the singles. I give it an A

The Bravery - self-titled - like the killers, which is like Duran Duran and other 80s stuff...I give it a C+

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth - more like the earlier stuff, I like some songs more than others, but it's pretty good. I give it a B+

Coldplay - X & Y - not all that different from their other 2 albums...and the thing that really annoys the crap out of me is that it plays fast song (a), slow song (b) throughout the whole album! There's only a couple songs I really like, kinda disappointed with this one. I give it a C+

The Arcade Fire - self-titled EP - this actually came out in 2003, but is now being re-released (released in stores for the first time). It's not as good as 2004's "Funeral", but it's still good. I give it a B

Black Lab - See the Sun - had a CD out in 1997 and then had record label problems and have since released stuff on their own through their website (this was supposed to come out in 2001 or so and one of the songs was on the spiderman movie soundtrack). I like this album and give it a B

Fischerspooner - Odyssey - different from their first album "#1", but better IMO. I like this one a lot and give it an A-

Hurst - Wanderlust EP - former singer/guitarist from Econoline Crush. Ross Childress from Collective Soul wrote songs and played as well, he's just not in the touring band (he's no longer in Collective Soul). This was sold through their website, though I believe it's in store in Canada (where they're from). It's good, straightup rock. I give it a B-

I think that's about it...for the rest of the year, and beyond, I'm looking forward to:

Mellowdrone - TBA (10/4)
    TV on the Radio - TBA (fall)
    Elefant - TBA (fall)
    Radiohead - TBA (fall?)
    Pete Yorn - TBA (fall? maybe 2006)
    Ours - TBA (early 2006?)
    Placebo - TBA (early 2006)
    VAST - TBA (? 2006?)

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    TV on the Radio - TBA (fall)
    Elefant - TBA (fall)
    Radiohead - TBA (fall?)
    Pete Yorn - TBA (fall? maybe 2006)
    Ours - TBA (early 2006?)
    Placebo - TBA (early 2006)
    VAST - TBA (? 2006?)
    TV on the Radio, i've heard a ton about them but i haven't gotten around to getting there CD yet. Whats there best?

I can't wait for the radiohead CD and tool CD

I haven't been listening to my indie/rock stuff lately, i've been in an underground rap mood for about a month now.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    TV on the Radio has an EP, LP, and a single that was not on the LP. Oh and a very early LP that you can't find anywhere except the illegal digital world. They don't really fit a genre...they kinda blend a lot together. It's good stuff.

Early LP - OK Calculator...only for the diehard I'd say, plus it's hard to find

EP - Young Liars (2003) - 5 songs (including a hidden pixes cover of Mr. Grieves)...very good, many critics like it better than the LP (and most loved the LP)

LP - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes (2004) - solid album, one of the best of 2004.

Single/EP - New Health Rock (2004) - only 3 songs, one of which was on the LP and one song is a Yeah Yeah Yeahs cover, so it's more of a single. You can actually find it packaged with the LP in indie stores.

You can stream the LP with this link (you need quicktime):

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/qtv/tool.../tvotr_ref.mov

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    TV on the Radio has an EP, LP, and a single that was not on the LP. Oh and a very early LP that you can't find anywhere except the illegal digital world. They don't really fit a genre...they kinda blend a lot together. It's good stuff.

Early LP - OK Calculator...only for the diehard I'd say, plus it's hard to find

EP - Young Liars (2003) - 5 songs (including a hidden pixes cover of Mr. Grieves)...very good, many critics like it better than the LP (and most loved the LP)

LP - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes (2004) - solid album, one of the best of 2004.

Single/EP - New Health Rock (2004) - only 3 songs, one of which was on the LP and one song is a Yeah Yeah Yeahs cover, so it's more of a single. You can actually find it packaged with the LP in indie stores.

You can stream the LP with this link (you need quicktime):

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/qtv/tool.../tvotr_ref.mov
    OK Calculator sounds slightly like another CD i know.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    This year's releases have been extremely weak. Top 5, no particular order:

The Receiving End Of Sirens - Between The Heart And The Synapse

Bear vs Shark- Terrorhawk

Mars Volta- Frances The Mute

Alkaline Trio- Crimson

Decemberists- Picaresque

I have not been overly impressed at all.

System Of A Down- Mezmerize
    Fall Out Boy- From Under The Cork Tree
    Audioslave- Out Of Exile
    Mike Jones- Who Is MIke Jones?

I know I'll be getting heat from that last one, but as annoying and untalented as he is, his songs are really catchy and make for good ringtones.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by PacMan
    System Of A Down- Mezmerize
    Fall Out Boy- From Under The Cork Tree
    Audioslave- Out Of Exile
    Mike Jones- Who Is MIke Jones?

I know I'll be getting heat from that last one, but as annoying and untalented as he is, his songs are really catchy and make for good ringtones.
    I can respect that. Count me as one of the one's who thinks he is extremely annoying & untalented, but I can almost see why people like him. He has good production.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast