Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tax Fail

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Thumbs Down Tax Fail

I received my "motor vehicle tax bill" today and the first payment is due today. Wait what? I'm not even going to get into the whole issue of the tax being ridiculous in the first place, but how the hell can the first payment be due the day I receive it in the mail? Morons. If it's a day late, then you're instantly penalized 12% interest and the whole amount is due (quarterly is no longer an option). The tax collector's phone has been busy all afternoon. They finally posted something online that there will be a 30 day grace period. I still want to call and bitch at them for being stupid.

MLB ERA

Re: Tax Fail

Welcome to America

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Thats why you vote for the 3rd party.
    CAN-A-DA, CAN-A-DA, CAN-A-DA
    Last edited by Foster; 08-24-2011 at 09:52 PM.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    Welcome to America
    They always mail it near the end of August, but they changed the quarterly payment dates. It used to be:

Sept
    Nov
    Jan
    Apr

Now it's:

Aug
    Oct
    Jan
    Apr

If you're moving the due date up by a month, then you should probably mail it out earlier.

MLB ERA

How much is your tax bill on a vehicle that they have to break it down like that?

BTW out here in Kalifornia it's not a tax it's a fee that way when the idiots in Sacto want to raise revenue they can skirt the Republican minority and the 2/3 requirement to raise taxes (but not fees). And they wonder why businesses are fleeing this state in droves. Brilliant!

MLB ERA

In Los Angeles County they charge a 5 cent fee to get plastic bags at the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    In Los Angeles County they charge a 5 cent fee to get plastic bags at the market.
    They do that at the Liquor Stores here as well. I find it funny that don't charge for the brown paper bags that I get my malt liquor in.

MLB ERA

That's because plastic is evil and paper is good. Years ago it was the reverse.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by A'sDiehard View Post
    How much is your tax bill on a vehicle that they have to break it down like that?

BTW out here in Kalifornia it's not a tax it's a fee that way when the idiots in Sacto want to raise revenue they can skirt the Republican minority and the 2/3 requirement to raise taxes (but not fees). And they wonder why businesses are fleeing this state in droves. Brilliant!
    In RI it's different city-to-city whereas in MA it's a flat state rate of $30 per $1000. Providence is the highest in the state and the state is no longer paying for the exemptions. Most cities lowered the $6000 exemption to $3000, $1000, or $500.

Last year Providence didn't lower the exemption from $6000, but the rate was $78 per $1000. They valued my 2007 car at $14,250 and I paid about $644. This year they lowered the exemption to only $1000, but the rate is now $60 per $1000. Somehow, my car was only worth $1000 less a year later ($13,250...WTF). I paid about $733. I paid the whole thing at once, but used to do the quarterly just because I could...well, I paid the last two at once actually.

MLB ERA

Motor vehicle tax bill? Correct me if I'm wrong, is that a bill for vehicle owners who gave paid off their vehicles? If so wouln't you have paid that vehicle taxes when you were making payments? I'm confused.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    In RI it's different city-to-city whereas in MA it's a flat state rate of $30 per $1000. Providence is the highest in the state and the state is no longer paying for the exemptions. Most cities lowered the $6000 exemption to $3000, $1000, or $500.

Last year Providence didn't lower the exemption from $6000, but the rate was $78 per $1000. They valued my 2007 car at $14,250 and I paid about $644. This year they lowered the exemption to only $1000, but the rate is now $60 per $1000. Somehow, my car was only worth $1000 less a year later ($13,250...WTF). I paid about $733. I paid the whole thing at once, but used to do the quarterly just because I could...well, I paid the last two at once actually.

Holy crap that's insane! Yikes. I wonder what that does to business fleets out there.

Rookie ERA

To me the idea they tax you every year on the worth of yor car is the actual "Tax Fail" not the off time of the mailing. Gee, I guess I won't sqawk this Dec. when my car registration is due.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A'sDiehard View Post

To make matters worse, dumbass voters last November passed Prop 25, which is a half-assed solution to budget gridlock in Sacto that allows the Democrat majority to circumvent the 2/3 requirement and come up with half-assed budgets.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    Motor vehicle tax bill? Correct me if I'm wrong, is that a bill for vehicle owners who gave paid off their vehicles? If so wouln't you have paid that vehicle taxes when you were making payments? I'm confused.
    I paid sales tax when I purchased any car. I've never paid taxes when mailing a payment if financing a car. This is a yearly tax to the city for owning a car. There are two categories: municipal and school. Within those it's broken down into real, real commercial, tangible, and excise. There are separate dollar amounts for each.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post
    To me the idea they tax you every year on the worth of yor car is the actual "Tax Fail" not the off time of the mailing. Gee, I guess I won't sqawk this Dec. when my car registration is due.
    Right. I agree. That was what I was alluding to with the whole "not getting into the ridiculousness of the tax in the first place." I'm annoyed by that to begin with, but receiving on the day the first payment was due was yet another ridiculous thing.
    Last edited by Providence A's; 08-28-2011 at 10:12 AM.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    To make matters worse, dumbass voters last November passed Prop 25, which is a half-assed solution to budget gridlock in Sacto that allows the Democrat majority to circumvent the 2/3 requirement and come up with half-assed budgets.
    CA is out of bullets and our day of reckoning is almost upon us; there's no more kicking the can down the road. In a state that has 37% of the nation's welfare recipients and businesses bailing fast it's almost here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast