Thread: Anyone check out their local independent record store for Record Store Day?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Thumbs Up Anyone check out their local independent record store for Record Store Day?

A little background if you are unaware. Record Store Day is an annual event where bands put out special releases, be it 45s or 33s, of new material, unreleased material, live albums and more. There are usually very limited release editions so there is a lot of fun for vinyl listeners. The record stores themselves often get bands and other cool activities going on.

Foster and I were talking a bit about it on Twitter today but I am curious if anyone else went to check it out locally. I went to my favorite store in Cincinnati, Everybodys, right when they opened. It was great to see a line out the door waiting to get in and the piles of people that were cramming around to find their favorite special releases. Like every year, everyone was really cool with each other, passing back copies if someone was looking for something in the back of the crowd and just enjoying the day. I spent too much money, but I knew that going in. I got a good mix of old and new, live and studio stuff, so I am excited. I also ordered on eBay Fucked Up's RSD release, which neither of my two usual stores got any in for.

Good day, lot of fun, and something I'd recommend checking out next year for all the music fans that missed out.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Anyone check out their local independent record store for Record Store Day?

I didn't go this year as there was only one thing I was mildly interested in (Caribou - Swim remixes on 12" vinyl). There was a Radiohead release, but only in the UK. I already went earlier in the week for the new TVOTR and new Crystal Stilts. I went up to Boston to see TVOTR tonight, too.

I've gotten some neat exclusives the last couple years (a Grizzly Bear 7", Depeche Mode 7", Muse 12"). I think there was something else I got, but I can't remember.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

So I went today and was able to score that 12" Caribou Swim remixes (2 remixes and a d/l code for the entire 14 song album, which was only released digitally). Also grabbed the Mute Records 12" (various artists including Liars, Moby, and a bunch of others I've never heard of it). It's translucent orange and came with a CD, too. I got #41 out of 1000.

MLB ERA

The economy of the '90s took our record store from us. Now all we have is Walmart.....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

One thing I missed was The Decemberists - Live at Bull Moose. Spook with the guy from the local record store, says he still has a shipment coming in, and that it may be in it. PUMPED.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The one thing I was really upset I missed was Ty Segall's T. Rex cover album called, wait for it, Ty Rex. I really like T. Rex, which is hard to find on used vinyl in my area, so something like that will definitely be rare to find unless I shell out for it on eBay and I already did that with one record.