Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spin Magazine's 100 greatest albums, 1985-2005

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    Nirvana sucked.... the destruction of hair metal for the benefit of the 'You cannot feel my pain, whining, crap grunge' movement... not much of a benefit... His musicianship and guitar work was horrid at best... His songwriting was mediocre on their hits, and horrid on the rest.. we're better off without him and them
    Sure as heck beats corporate-sell out metal bands that play up an image. And Metallica from 90 on, sucks! And they fell even lower when they used the suing Napster schtick to publicize their summer tour.

MLB ERA
    Hell.. I ain't no Selloutica fan either, not after Cliffy died.... Give me Iron Maiden or Megadeth any day....

But no, I would not say that Nirvana was any better for the music scene than a Motley Crue, Whitesnake, or the other pop-metal/hair-metal/late-80s-metal scene

MLB ERA
    I said it on the NFL side, but I'll say it here too.

Spin magazine is complete and utter shit. Any list they publish can be better served as fishwrap. The list above holds about as much credibility as would Saddam speaking out for human rights all over the world.

Garbage. *phftttt*

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Where's the Beatles 1 album? That was a good one.
    Pretty sure they didn't want special albums and I think that was all their #1 hits.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Sorry, mate. Green Day is not too blame for Emo's horrendous emergence. It's little girl music. Old Green Day is not to blame.
    Green Day is to blame whether you're willing to admit it or not. Every one of those punk-pop bands have tried to capture the sound that Green Day has. That album has ruined our lives forever as that similar sounding crap is filling up the air waves. Green Day is little girl music. I wouldn't agree with 40% of the cd's on there, but i'm no music expert.

Yeah, well I can't understand why Just One More by the Mad Caddies is not there. And Lets Face It by MMB should at least get a mention.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

I don't mind Nirvana but the fact he died when he did escalated their status. I actually shocked my boys ranked ahead of them because they always seem to lose out to Nirvana. I'm really happy to see PE get 2 of the top 21 because they deserve it.

I can't complain too much about the list because unlike a lot of people I'm not going to ***** about albums I haven't heard or aren't my paticular taste. Some of the bands I do like have great albums listed but my personal opinion they have better ones, though I understand why the ones listed are there instead of the others.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Yeah, personally, I think Nirvana's crap. Not too many share that opinion.
    nirvana was one of the most overrated bands in the world. a couple of good tunes and that was it.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Exactly. It's just how SIth put it: Cobain's death fueled this Nirvana-mania way past it's deserved point. IF Cobain had stayed alive, I'm sure they would have deteriorated just like Green Day.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    probably even more so. eventually, Kurt's lack of talent at playing was going to counteract his above average writing skills. of course, also, theres only so many times you can listen to different takes on suicide and other angst.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    theres only so many times you can listen to different takes on suicide and other angst.
    Yeah.. once !

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Killah Sith
    I don't mind Nirvana but the fact he died when he did escalated their status.
    That's happened with a lot of bands/people for whatever reason. Not just musicians, but other musicians that got popular posthumously are Jeff Buckly, Ian Curtis from Joy Division (though they became New Order and went on to their own success), and there are others that I can't think of at the moment...

MLB ERA
    Tupac..

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Tupac was popular before he died, too though, no? Cause we were talking about people who weren't that popular, but got popular after they died.

MLB ERA
    Well, Nirvana was also popular before Kurt left us. However, like Nirvana, Tupac's popularity definately benefited from his death. Both individuals have been turned into legends in the public's eye, however, in reality, neither are anything more than average.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast