Thread: Get Out And Vote!!

MLB ERA

Re: Get Out And Vote!!

Absentee, *****es.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    And winner of this debate by knockout, HollywoodLeo.
    eh, judges? i wouldnt even know where to begin on those. as for congress critter, they're both sleazeballs from what i can tell. as for senator, well who knows. that would be a wasted vote if its even up. durbin still has a death grip on it.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    bullshit. a) my vote doesnt matter here in illinois. Satan could run for president and if he was a democrat, he'd have an outstanding chance of winning here. Hell Saddam could have run and won if he were a democrat.

A decision to not vote is a decision to not support any of these idiots. I dont like McCain enough to vote for him, and I would sooner slit my wrists and throat than vote for a Chicago politician.

Voting to vote is worse than anything else you can do because it just feeds the system.
    This is a product of the electoral college, which is by far the stupidest thing the founding fathers came up with. Popular vote would solve this problem. Because I feel the same way as a republican in connecticut. i don't want to say my vote doesn't count, because it does, but saying it doesn't matter is a fair statement. changing to a popular vote would solve so many problems. isn't an election all about the majority anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Absentee, *****es.
    yeah yeah! i'm with you on that one
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I see both sides, and I can understand your opinions, but if you ask me, there's no reason to not vote. I mean, by the logic you guys are using, unless you live in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, Michigan, North Carolina, or Nevada, the winner of your state is pretty secure. So, should everyone outside of those states not bother to vote?

lmao i was listening to radio yesturday, and some dumb ass english londoner was asked

"so who are you voting for tommorow"

the guy said " I don't know, tough decision"

interviews asked "are u even allowed to vote"

guy said "yeah i'm 19! im old enough to vote in us election, i think i'll vote obama"

WOW! sotherners are dumb! they don't even know what nationality they are!
    TBSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2010-present
    Former TSSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2019-2020 163-161 .501
    Former TSSL manager of the Toronto Blue Jays 2018-2019 record- 118-206 % .364
    Former CSSL manager of the San Fransisco giants 42-40 % .512

overall record 323-407 pct: .442

www.youtube.com/packersrock58
    christopher_stone_1@msn.com

btw did anybody hear palin fell for this prank call?
    TBSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2010-present
    Former TSSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2019-2020 163-161 .501
    Former TSSL manager of the Toronto Blue Jays 2018-2019 record- 118-206 % .364
    Former CSSL manager of the San Fransisco giants 42-40 % .512

overall record 323-407 pct: .442

www.youtube.com/packersrock58
    christopher_stone_1@msn.com

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    This is a product of the electoral college, which is by far the stupidest thing the founding fathers came up with. Popular vote would solve this problem. Because I feel the same way as a republican in connecticut. i don't want to say my vote doesn't count, because it does, but saying it doesn't matter is a fair statement. changing to a popular vote would solve so many problems. isn't an election all about the majority anyways?

yeah yeah! i'm with you on that one
    I agree that the electoral college is stupid, but it's a stretch to say your vote doesn't count.

They pretty much always go with the popular vote of the state they represent.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    eh, judges? i wouldnt even know where to begin on those. as for congress critter, they're both sleazeballs from what i can tell. as for senator, well who knows. that would be a wasted vote if its even up. durbin still has a death grip on it.
    I bypassed some of the smaller offices with candidates I've never heard of. I wouldn't feel right voting for someone I'm ill informed of.

But, it's not just that.

A couple of the most important things I just got done voting for was in favor of a state lottery for Arkansas and against a proposal that would ban unmarried couples from adopting children.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I agree that the electoral college is stupid, but it's a stretch to say your vote doesn't count.

They pretty much always go with the popular vote of the state they represent.
    yes, but the electoral college makes those popular votes regonal, which causes problems. i want my vote to count in the country as a whole, not clumped with my state

MLB ERA

yes, but the electoral college makes those popular votes regonal, which causes problems. i want my vote to count in the country as a whole, not clumped with my state
    Like I said, I agree that it's dumb, and I think it should just be popular vote.

I'm just saying it's a stretch to say it doesn't count or doesn't matter.

The argument in favor of it is that candidates might completely ignore the less populous states and focus all their campaigning in California, Pennsylvania, New York, Texas, and Florida.

But I don't think that's enough of an argument to keep the dumb set up.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Eh, no electoral system is perfect. Here in Canada, the party who came in third in the popular vote with about 1.3 million ballots ended up with 49 seats in parliament, while the party who came in fourth in the popular vote with 2.5 million votes ended up with 29 seats, because of the way the vote was distributed. Also, the party who came in fifth with 1 million votes got 0 seats because it didn't win any single riding.

I think the US Electoral College system is pretty damn good because the party who wins the popular vote almost always ends up winning the White House.

MLB ERA

Ugh.

A bunch of absentee ballots from Virginia for the overseas military registered there were apparently mailed to them late, and are therefore coming back to the states late (not today) and might have to be counted if the judge rules them to be valid. (Which they should be)

I'd hate to have to wait another week to find out who wins.

I mean, I'd rather their votes count, I'm just annoyed that it happened.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    I think the US Electoral College system is pretty damn good because the party who wins the popular vote almost always ends up winning the White House.
    But it is possible for the party to lose the popular vote wins the election. Wouldn't you rather just make the winner of the popular vote the winner of the election ALL the time and eliminate the possibility for the other way around?

I think it's hard for someone in another country to understand the feeling of being a minority party voter in a certain state. DK, I'm a Republican in Connecticut. Connecticut ALWAYS voted Democratic, the whole northeast usually does. So sometimes I feel like my vote won't matter. And then if I lived in a state like Texas which is ALWAYS Republican, I would feel like I didn't make a difference there either. It's almost like some peoples' votes have more value than others'. I know that's not true, but sometimes that's the feeling. I think if everyone's vote definitely counted the same in the popular vote across the country, it would be much better for voter turnout (although this year that could possibly be a record high).

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think it's hard for someone in another country to understand the feeling of being a minority party voter in a certain state.
    Eh, I understand completely. I live in a riding here that has voted for the same party in every election since 1935, and by a massive landslide every time. So I've never been bothered to vote even though I've been of voting age in 5 elections.

It's almost like some peoples' votes have more value than others'. I know that's not true
    On the contrary, it's definitely true.

MLB ERA

Yeah, that's basically what it's like. That's why I think regionality should be removed from the elections

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast