Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Simpsons Movie

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

The Simpsons Movie

It comes out Friday. I plan on seeing it, but not right away. I really haven't been impressed from the previews I've seen. I fear that the movie is about, I don't know, 10 years late? They should have done a movie while in their prime, not when they've overstayed... It just comes off as an attempt to make more money IMHO. The last few years have been crap to me...especially compared to their peak. Regardless, I'll be seeing it as I said and I'm sure it will do decently money-wise, but I just don't think it will be that good. Thoughts?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: The Simpsons Movie

Supposedly the movie has undergone many revisions and the fact that the writing staff is not the one on the show but mostly made up of the writers from the better years, that gives me some hope. Two British papers posted their reviews, 4/5 and 5/5, so take that for what it's worth. My greatest fear is that they will be shooting for too much of a mainstream audience and thus will have a lot of the typical jerk-ass Homer type of jokes, but hopefully with getting together a pretty damn good writing staff... it will please fans who expect a bit more. I am hoping it will be good but I don't know whether to think it will or it won't be at that level.

But from what little I know about the plot, I hope they can do it right without being too preachy as the old episodes could do that sort of thing pretty well. Irregardless of how it turns out, I think it's safe to say that it will be freaking huge.

(Sorry I had to.)

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I'm really excited to see this movie. I will most certainly be viewing the movie first day. I have waited along time for a Simpson's movie to come out.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

So who will be in line to see this one Friday? I suppose mission for sure. Who else? You guys think this will be dissapointing because your expectations are so high?

MLB ERA

I will be there tomorrow night at around 9 p.m. with a few others. I can't wait, as I've been looking forward to this for some time.

And I think it will be good. Anything John Swartzwelder, Mike Scully and Jon Vitti are involved in has to have some good writing.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The writing staff shouldn't let us down, I agree with that. They got a really good mix of people from those who can write the emotional stuff to the zany, so I am pretty sure I will leave entertained at the least. The good news is that it has an 83% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes from over 40 reviews which is great.

MLB ERA

Yup, that's what makes the show so good. They are able to use emotional (but not overly emotional to the point of being over-the-top) writing, funny writing, out there writing, subtle/funny writing, etc. and tie it all together into good stories. Lots of good cultural references and old ideals discussed/poked fun at by guys such as Swartzwelder.

And that is a great rating on that site.

I am looking forward to seeing it.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Wow, it's now 87% through 69 reviews! I am not expecting classic era stuff, but for The Simpsons right now... I am looking forward to this in a big way. I don't know if I'll be out to see it tomorrow, but hopefully this weekend of course.

And very true CRF. A good Simpsons episode is really unique for all those reasons as it needs that right balance of all those elements to leave a satisfying but funny story, and hopefully this movie will have it.

BTW, has anyone seen the ad for Burger King marketing the movie, the one with Krusty and The King? It's very funny for an ad and a bit surreal to see Krusty Burger being advertised in the middle of a show. When I was coming up from Miami I went to a 7-11 outside of Orlando that was made to look like the Kwik-E-Mart (somewhat) and got a couple 6-packs of Buzz Cola and Krusty-O's (or something like that) which was pretty awesome. The only thing better would of been Duff Beer but I didn't see any.

MLB ERA

Yeah, I heard about that Kwik-E-Mart and saw it on the TV guide channel tonight as part of an hour-long preview of the movie. They showed all these Simpsons fans there buying stuff. It was pretty funny.

Also funny as always was hearing Dan, Harry Shearer, Hank Azaria, Yeardley, etc. talk about the movie and speak in their regular voices and then the voices of their characters.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I saw the special on last night about 12:10 but for some reason my feed of it had the audio all messed up, and that channel is still like it today but I am hoping it corrects itself before they stop showing it because it looked like something I had to see.

You should like this, it's just unreal how they can switch between the voices. I still can't believe the guy who does Homer can do that, Krusty, the Squeaky Voiced Teen and many others, it's amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=Kaijs3ixxzc

MLB ERA

Oh yeah, I've seen that. Really funny! And they do great improv.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I was gonna see it tonight...but I just got out of the hospital for food poisoning/dehydration/something nobody knew what it was so that looks doubtful to say the least.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Stay healthy, brownie!

And the movie was awesome.

Funny, engaging and just good.

Bunch of different kinds of humor (a lot of it subtle as usual).

I approve!

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Have just returned from an afternoon showing. FUNNY. It was jokes after jokes and laughs after laughs. I haven't laughed this much at the movies for a long time, mostly because when I go I only see action movies.

"That could be anybody's Pig Crap!"

MLB ERA

Hahaha yeah it really was a classic.

Although I laughed at some of the supposed "edgy" humor, like the black joke, and the anti-Church stuff, and I was practically the only one doing so.

I'd say about a 9.

Awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast