Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rays come home with nothing to show for

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Rays Rays come home with nothing to show for

http://rays.tbo.com/rays/MGBJHEZYZGE.html

DALLAS - In the private poker games that occurred behind closed doors at the Wyndham Anatole this week as part of baseball's winter meetings, the Devil Rays seemed to have gotten trumped.

As the Rays headed home, it remains to be seen how they play their next hand in what could still be an active offseason.

Talks that the Rays were going to be part of a three-team deal - which would have sent Julio Lugo to the Boston Red Sox with Tampa Bay receiving third base prospect Andy Marte - broke down early Thursday morning. Hours later - to the Rays' surprise - the Red Sox and Braves announced a deal that sent Marte to Boston for shortstop Edgar Renteria.

But the Rays seemingly would have accepted a more-simplistic Lugo-for-Marte trade, one which apparently was never proposed by Atlanta. The Braves needed a shortstop, having just lost out on the bidding war for Rafael Furcal, who signed a three-year, $39 million deal with the Dodgers earlier this week.

The result:

The Braves received a sweet deal for a four-time all-star for at least the next three years. (Boston will pay $8 million of the $26 million remaining on Renteria's contract). In Lugo, the Braves would have received a shortstop for one year at $4.95 million.

The Red Sox get a prospect seen by many as a can't miss. Said Sox senior adviser Bill LaJoie: "We want to keep this player."

And the Rays are left out in the Texas cold.

So the Rays left Dallas on Thursday night without the signature trade they desired. Tampa Bay made just one deal this week, sending pitcher Dewon Brazelton and their first-round Rule 5 pick - left-handed pitcher Steve Andrade - to San Diego for third baseman Sean Burroughs.

The Rays were still one of the most popular teams as the meetings began on Monday as players such as Lugo, first baseman Aubrey Huff, closer Danys Baez, catcher Toby Hall and outfielder Joey Gathright offered cost-effective options in an ever-inflated free-agent market.

"Like we said coming in, this wasn't a situation where we felt that a trade was necessary or that we were mandated to make a trade because of money issues or any other issues," executive vice president Andrew Friedman said. "It had to fit into what we were doing for 2006, 2007 and beyond. There are still conversations out there that could fit into those plans, others that didn't. We came in here listening and if something made sense in that we were prepared to make a trade."

The Rays will still pursue trades throughout the offseason. Lugo and Huff are still the most likely to go.

"It's nothing different to me," Huff said Tuesday. "I've been hearing trade rumors for two years so I'm kind of used to it. No big deal. It doesn't matter to me. I figure if I'm not traded by this winter meetings, then by the all-star break for sure."

On Wednesday, the Rays offered arbitration to free-agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez and utility player Eduardo Perez. But they waited until the midnight deadline to offer arbitration to first baseman Travis Lee, suggesting that talks of a last-minute deal - possibly involving Huff - had deflated.

The Rays lost three prospects in the Rule 5 draft, most noticeably center fielder Jason Pridie. Pridie, who hit .291 in his first three pro seasons, hit just .219 during a 2005 season that was marred by a knee injury. He was selected by the Minnesota Twins.

The Rays also lost outfielder Joey Gomes - the brother of Rays' outfielder Jonny Gomes - and right-hander Jarrod Farrell in the Triple-A portion of the draft. Gomes was selected by the Padres and Farrell was taken by the Marlins. The Rays made four picks of their own - left-hander Yorkin Ferreras (Cubs), right-hander Celso Rondon (Mets), Maiko Loyola (Pittsburgh) and Joey Reiman (Toronto) in the Triple-A portion of the draft.
    They're still improved somewhat, but not enough to seriously complete in the East...just enough to play spoiler down the stretch.

Well, either the media is spinning lies again (that they refused Marte for Lugo, and then Marte and Estrada for Lugo), or the Devil Rays are STILL too stingy without their last GM there. Egads.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Well I hate to say it but they got zero pitchers unless Burroughs can pitch now that he can't hit.

MLB ERA
    http://www.sptimes.com/2005/12/18/Ra..._loom_on.shtml

ST. PETERSBURG - Most of the offseason chatter has involved who the Devil Rays may deal away. A trade to send Joey Gathright to the Marlins is still very much in play, and possibilities lurk for deals involving Julio Lugo, Aubrey Huff and Danys Baez.

But this week the Rays have some tough decisions to make on who to keep. And they can get more serious about players they may seek to add.

By Monday, they'll know which of their free agents, Alex Gonzalez, Travis Lee and Eduardo Perez , have accepted arbitration and are considered signed players. (Perez has agreed not to, allowing negotiations to continue until Jan.8.)

By Tuesday, they must decide who they would rather let become free agents by not tendering them a contract rather than pay them based on the arbitration system.

Having come to terms with third baseman Sean Burroughs on a one-year deal for some $1.5-million, they have eight arbitration eligibles, including five relievers: Joe Borowski, Lance Carter, Jesus Colome, Travis Harper and Trever Miller. It's unlikely all will be back, with Borowski the least likely.

Starters Casey Fossum and Mark Hendrickson seemingly have to be retained, though they could later be traded.

The heftiest decision might involve catcher Toby Hall. With the market for starting catchers dried up (just ask Bengie Molina, who left the Angels as a free agent and has nowhere to go), the Rays - barring an unexpected trade opportunity - may have no choice but to pay Hall an estimated $3-million or let him go for nothing.
    Seems that they want to move quite a few people...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Lugo and Huff would make a great package to get some pitching.

MLB ERA
    And would have a year ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Huff maybe but Lugo was a keeper. Upton wasn't ready and no one knows is he is ready now but they should be willing to try if it gets them pitching.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Travis Lee is staying with the Drays as he accepted arbitration. Wouldn't have minded him in a Giants uni.

MLB ERA
    Huff and Lugo may still be moved:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluc...deluca052.html

Though the Tampa Bay Devil Rays surprised many observers by holding on to shortstop Julio Lugo and outfielder Aubrey Huff during the offseason, the two players who earn a combined $10.75 million will be shopped before the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline.
    They could probably get some decent pitching for those two...more if they're packaged together I think than if they were traded separately.

I get the feeling that the Devil Rays won't make a trade of those two, with a really high asking price and all. I'm not focusing on them at this point, and my team is playing Alex Gonzalez.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    I get the feeling that the Devil Rays won't make a trade of those two, with a really high asking price and all. I'm not focusing on them at this point, and my team is playing Alex Gonzalez.
    yes, well that's your own fault for trading Ramirez if you knew you were going to trade Renteria...I can understand trading 1, but why both? I also think it was garbage trading Renteria after 1 bad year after signing him to that 4 year deal.

Ramirez isn't even close to ready at this point and he's losing luster with many people who rank these prospects. I am almost willing to guarantee that if Hanley Ramirez plays with the Marlins this year, that Alex Gonzalez outhits him. Ramirez struggled in Double A (arguably not even the best MI on his own AA squad). He's still a good prospect, but many (including myself) jumped the gun on him.

Renteria, well, best of luck to him. They saw a chance to get Andy Marte and ditch a contract. Maybe they thought he wouldn't bounce back to his 2003 numbers (he was in 2005 what he was in 2004 offensively), maybe they wanted Marte who they flipped into Crisp (who, at this point, is a better commodity than Renteria).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Ramirez might not even be the starting SS for the Marlins. The Marlins beat writer was ESPNNews and said there is a good chance that someone else whose name is escaping me me might be starting at SS. Fcuk, what is his name?!

I figure he won't, I was just saying that there is no way Ramirez would be ready for action this year as a MLB Player. If they immerse him, he'll play. I just doubt he does well.

MLB ERA
    Ramirez is pretty overrated anyway. I don't think the Red Sox will play Gonzalez even half a season with Graffanino and Cora laying around, and with Pedroia pretty much ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast