Thread: The Devil Rays OF situation

The Devil Rays OF situation

The Devil Rays confuse the hell out of me. They have an extremely good base of young hitters due to a bunch of high draft picks, both in the IF and OF. They seem to be able to call up young players at will to produce on offense. And while the pitching is far away, Lamar did something right with the offense.

However, they have a lot of OF types that seem like they could be productive players. Crawford is quickly becoming a fantasy baseball favorite, Huff's been productive for years, Delmon Young is looking fantastic as a prospect, Rocco Baldelli is coming off of injury, Joey Gathright has a few things going for him, and Gomes was one of the best rookies in the AL.

Just hypothetically, if you were GM, how would you go about this? Who would you trade and would you go for pitching prospects, established players, a catcher not named Toby Hall, what? Being a Sox fan, we haven't had a depth in young players in, well, many many years. Should they base their OF around some amazing speed in Baldelli (well, maybe not after injury, I think it was to his leg, but still), Crawford, and Gathright. Or should they go for a Gomes and Huff base while waiting for Young to find a space for?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    They can start out the season with Baldelli, Crawford, and Gomes in the outfield with Huff at DH. Gathright and Young aren't ready to be everyday players yet IMO. I'm sure they'll try and shop Huff around this offseason though. Once the season starts and they inevitably fall out of contention they'd almost have to deal Huff and there would be plenty of teams interested (and by that time Young will probably be ready anyway). Then a Young, Crawford, Baldelli OF with Gomes at DH would make for a solid middle of the order, along with Cantu.

Bottom line is someone has to be moved to get some more pitching. They're going to be horrible until they get someone besides Kazmir who can pitch.

MLB ERA
    Trade Huff and Crawford. Gathright has little if any future.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Trade Huff and Gathright and get some young but established pitchers. Young is not ready for the MLB going by his big drop off in stats after being promoted to AAA. Huff can get someone worth a shit and teams are looking at Gathright.