Thread: Baldelli expected to sign a 6 year deal

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Baldelli expected to sign a 6 year deal

Baldelli reportedly agrees to deal
    Center fielder reviewing details of six-year contract
    By Bill Chastain / MLB.com

ST. PETERSBURG -- Rocco Baldelli has agreed to a six-year contract with the Devil Rays worth a possible $33 million that could keep him with the team through the 2011 season.

Baldelli, 24, was the Rays' starting center fielder until the 2005 season, which he missed due to knee and elbow surgeries.

According to reports in the Tampa Tribune and St. Petersburg Times, the only thing the deal lacks is Baldelli's signature. Baldelli has hired sports agent Casey Close to read over the deal; he previously did not have an agent.

"I'll be a Devil Ray for a while," Baldelli told the Times. "I didn't just do this to do a deal. I want to win. I like what I've seen from the new ownership, and I think this is going to be a winning organization and I want to be there."

By signing Baldelli, the Rays will avoided arbitration with him. It will be the second deal executed by Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman, who negotiated a similar deal in the spring with Rays left fielder Carl Crawford that can keep Crawford with the club through 2010 at a cost of $32.5 million.

The first three years of Baldelli's deal are guaranteed, but the Rays hedged the deal against injury by using incentives based on plate appearances. The team has options on his three potential free agent years that allow for a healthy buyout in the event they decline the options.

In his first two Major League seasons, Baldelli batted .285 with 27 home runs and 152 RBIs in 2003-2004. He tore his anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on Oct. 24, 2004, and was scheduled to return to the team in July, but Tommy John surgery on his right elbow forced him to miss the remainder of the season. Baldelli's knee is healthy again while his elbow is expected to be ready by Spring Training.

Baldelli was examined last week by Rays medical director James Andrews.

"Everything is coming along good," Baldelli told the Tribune. "I'm throwing now. My knee's been fine. I'm kind of in an offseason mode, besides my rehab."

Baldelli is expected to be the Rays' starting center fielder in an outfield that includes Crawford in left and any number of candidates in right field. Should Baldelli's elbow not be ready, he would be used as a designated hitter.

Bill Chastain is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    Article Link

MLB ERA
    I'm assuming there is a clause in the deal outlawing him from family wiffle ball games?

MLB ERA
    I assume the team has no idea what they're doing signing a player without a firmly established performance record coming off a serious injury?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

I assume saber is right.

Hey, lets stop assuming, eh? When you are assuming, you make an ass out of yourself and some dude named Ming.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    They're the Devil Dogs, what else would you expect? Me, I don't like him one bit, but hey, they can keep him if they want

So...an outfield with Crawford/Young/Huff (although he can be moved to IF)/Gomes...and they sign Baldelli to a long-term deal? I guess that should guarantee that one of the other OF is gone unless they DH Gomes (or Young) and 3B/1B Huff.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Baldelli was a very good centerfielder with a very strong arm. Plus the deal has only three guaranteed years on it so what is the big deal? And don't act like this guy can't hit. Young isn't ready and Huff probably won't be there. The best part is he is only 24.