Thread: Good News

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Good News

ST. PETERSBURG -- The first step toward having back Danys Baez and Julio Lugo for the 2006 season was taken by the Devil Rays on Monday, when they exercised the club options for their closer and shortstop.

Baez, 31, saved a career-high 41 games last season and was the club's representative at the All-Star Game in Detroit. By renewing his option, he will make $4 million in 2006, while Lugo, who has been the Rays' everyday shortstop since he signed as a free agent in May 2003, will make $4.95 million.

Both players can still be traded, but the Rays said repeatedly over the summer that Baez and Lugo were budgeted in for 2006.

Baez saved 61.2 percent of the Rays' victories in 2005 (41 of 67). Only five pitchers have saved a greater percentage of their team's wins in a single season (since saves became an official statistic in 1969). The Cuban-born Baez signed with the Rays prior to the 2004 season and has totaled 71 saves, second most in club history behind Roberto Hernandez (101) and tied for the sixth most in the Majors over that span. He has also finished 123 games over the last two seasons, tied with Francisco Cordero for second most behind Mariano Rivera (136).

Lugo, who turns 30 on Nov. 16, batted a career-high .295 (seventh among Major League shortstops) in 2006, while also establishing career bests in games played (158), hits (182), triples (six), walks (61) and stolen bases (39, fourth in the AL).

He also tallied six home runs and 57 RBIs. Lugo became only the fifth Devil Rays player to reach 180 or more hits in a season, joining Rocco Baldelli, Carl Crawford, Aubrey Huff and Randy Winn.
    These weren't really "options" if you ask me. I just hope they keep these guys and don't try and trade them.

MLB ERA
    The best thing the team can do is trade these players for someone who might be around in a few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Getting more prospects? Is that what you mean?

MLB ERA
    Yup. The team won't competitive for a few more years at least, even if they suddenly became competent. By that time, the deceptively high value that Lugo and Baez have will be gone.
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Well, prospects haven't been working so far so I think they need a new strategy. Plus they have new owners who should and I think are willing to open their pockets.

MLB ERA
    Actually, the Devil Rays tried that before.

Wade Boggs. Fred McGriff. Need I go on?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Yeah and the key was zero pitching to go along with it. Need I go on?

MLB ERA
    Who do they open their wallets for?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    New ownership is supposed to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    New ownership is supposed to change that.
    Saber wasn't asking IF the owners are opening up their wallets, but whom for.....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Well they have already opened them for Beaz and Lugo. Baez was huge as they need that closer to close the games they do have a shot at winning. Open that wallet for pitching as I have been saying since forever. Matt Morris, Washburn, Millwood or anyone else would be an upgrade. Get some veterans around Kazmir and let that offense do the rest.