Thread: Where Should Price Start The Season?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rays Where Should Price Start The Season?

Rumors are swirling that the Rays might start David Price in AAA for a month or so just to save money like they planned on doing with Longoria last year. I think this would be a bad move for the Rays since unlike the ridiculous cliche, games do matter in April. Just think, the Yankees will be without ARod that entire first month. That is a huge blow for the Yankees. Why not have your best fifth starter option pitching and gaining an early lead like they did last year? The Rays play 10 games within the division in April so it would be very beneficial for the Rays to have Price who is nothing short of special. Today is the first day that any Rays starting pitchers threw in a real ballgame and we are already in the second week in March. Price, Garza and Sonnastine all made their spring debuts today and only Garza was roughed up. Maddon and the Rays are taking the right approach with their young pitching staff this spring and need to continue doing so with Price starting the year with the big league club. The Rays have depth in starting pitching with Jeff Niemann and Wade Davis in case Price does have a setback. **** the money, get back in the playoffs! The money will come that way.

MLB ERA

Re: Where Should Price Start The Season?

I think they have to do the same thing they did with Evan with Price. It worked out really well for them before, why change now. Yes games matter in April, but they matter less. And if Price knows they want him around, and he gets some work in AAA as kind of a warm-up to get all the kinks out (not that he needs it, but it could help) it might be of huge benefit to them
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bullshit games matter less in April than at any other time!! That's the biggest complete pile of shit I have ever heard and now someone repeats it!! I just wrote the Rays played 10 games within the division. Those count!!The Rays only won the division by two games last year. Don't try and tell me those games don't count. Plus the Rays didn't do what they wanted to do with Longoria last year and that was hold him out til May to save money. He was held out only a week. Not having your best player for the job is no benefit at all. The Rays need Price in that fifth slot for as long as they can.

All Star
    Rookie ERA

I think he starts in AAA, then comes into the Pen. Then becomes the 5th starter.

MLB ERA

I agree that Price makes their team better instantly and he probably should start the year in the 5th spot, if only because Boston & NY will likely both be 90 win teams and you cannot lose ground that early in the season. Yes, April games do matter-- a lot. The old saying "you can't win it in April, but you sure can lose it" is 100% true. Last year's Tigers team is a perfect example of that.

However, he probably is going to begin the year at AAA. If you guys remember, Longoria was called up only a few days after the season began (I think somewhere around April 11 or 12 last season). I do believe their 3B was hurt and it was a matter forced, but the point is... even if Price starts in AAA, I don't think it will be a full month before we see him, let alone two.

I'm unsure how much money the Rays actually save by leaving him in AAA to start the year, and why it's that big of a factor in this... but it's possible the Rays could be trying to hammer out a long-term deal with Price, similar to the one they gave Longoria last year, and simply don't want to start his MLB clock until they come closer in agreement.

Another thing that probably has a lot to do with their decision in starting Price out at AAA, or atleast makes it easier, is that Jason Hammel & Jeff Niemann are both out of options (I'm positive Niemann is... but correct me if I'm wrong about Hammel), and both are having nice springs.

Personally though, and from a managerial standpoint alone, I would keep Price up to start the year. They need all the ground they can get, and that's all there is to it.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hammel is out of options as well, nick.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The division is way too competitive for them to not have Price on the opening day 25 man roster. Obviously the Rays would like to repeat last year's performance (sans the ending) and the only way to do that is to come out of the gate with your best team, because you know a New York or Boston team isn't going to hold back. Plus Price, as talented as he is, might hit a few bumps in the road and if I if I was a Rays fan I'd rather those happen in May/June than in July/August or even down the stretch. The more exposure he gets in the bigs, the more able he will be to handle it.

(Speaking purely from a personal viewpoint, not from what the Rays are GOING to do.)

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

As for needing to work out the kinks, isn't that what spring training is for? Enough with babying young pitchers. If you feel a guy can't make the transition to the big leagues without being encased in bubble wrap, move on and find someone else who can do the job.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Some guys need it. Like Homer Bailey probably could benefit from it since he wasn't ready for his first callup and was thusly rocked. Price is ready though, whatever he needs to learn he can learn it in a big league uniform.