Thread: Didn't See This Coming

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rays Didn't See This Coming

Rays signed third baseman Evan Longoria to a six-year, $17.5 million contract with options for 2014, 2015 and 2016.
    The first six years of the contract cover his arbitration years, with three more years added by team options. If the team exercises its one-year option for 2014, and then its two-year option for the 2015 and 2016 seasons, the deal could be worth up to $44 million. They're investing more than they have to early, but if salaries keep rising and Longoria attains the success he's projected for, this deal would make him an absolute steal for the Rays. The big upside for Longoria's owners is that it eliminates any need to send him back to the minors this year so that he's not super-two eligible after 2010. That means Willy Aybar probably won't be getting his job back.
    Wow and wow!! He has been playing less than a week and gets his payday early! This will be an eventual steal for the Rays but what does this say about Kazmir? Kazmir should be top priority. Shields is already locked up and Crawford wants his options picked up. Rays better keep Kazmir if they want to get anywhere.

On a side note, the Rays picked up Dan Johnson so now they have identical players in Jonny Gomes and Dan Johnson.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Re: Didn't See This Coming

Wow, I definatly didn't see that coming.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

Evan Lonoria is a great player already When he hit that HR against the Yankees I thought "Wow, he's gonna bring smiles to Rays fans for years to come"

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The big upside for Longoria's owners is that it eliminates any need to send him back to the minors this year so that he's not super-two eligible after 2010.
    So does that mean Longoria is out of minor league options?

MLB ERA

I wouldn't think so. I think he technically has options, but with the contract, he will not be eligible for that arbitration. Since he won't be eligible for arbitration, there is no reason to send him down, because he is clearly better than Aybar.

MLB ERA

Geez, the Rays REALLY got a steal here, $17.5 mil over 6 years is mad cheap.

Interesting signing by Dan Johnson there, it should be interesting to see where he plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    I wouldn't think so. I think he technically has options, but with the contract, he will not be eligible for that arbitration. Since he won't be eligible for arbitration, there is no reason to send him down, because he is clearly better than Aybar.
    Oh, you're right, his arbitration years being covered is the reason for not needing to send him down. I guess incorrectly that the reason had to do with his options.

Closed
    AAA ERA

The Rays are headed in the right direction adding a huge cornerstone to there puzzle for years and years to come. You are right though about Scott Kazmir , he has to be the next big priority for this club.