Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evan Longoria

Turn 2

Evan Longoria

This guy is killing the ball this spring hitting .333 with several extra base hits and 3 homers and still The Rays are undecided if he will make the club. They are dragging there feet on a politics issues where if they send him back they will have him under there control until 2014 instead of if he makes the Major league club they will have control until 2013. With the track record the Jays have had in the past I think it is time to place the best 25 players on there roster on opening day. What do you all feel about this issue?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Evan Longoria

If he doesn't start at third to open the season, there's a problem.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't think there is any real doubt that he will start Opening Day. They may be sweating him a little bit but they don't have another real option at third besides Aybar. He will be slotted in as the third baseman barring any injury.

But Evan Longoria isn't gonna magically make the Rays contenders this year

He sure is a step in the right direction though.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Just wait until Kazmir, Garza, Shields and Price are in the rotation.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBomberz View Post
    But Evan Longoria isn't gonna magically make the Rays contenders this year
    Oh, so they shouldn't start him?...where's the logic here
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Oh, so they shouldn't start him?...where's the logic here
    Logic is:
    Rays= Suck
    Rays + Longoria= Still Suck

They should start him, it just isn't going to be a one player fix.

There's logic there man...not that I agree with it, because every step in the right direction is a step they need to make, but there's logic.

Turn 2

I am not saying he is the fix to a World Championship, but if he is the best option which he surely looks like it, play him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    Logic is:
    Rays= Suck
    Rays + Longoria= Still Suck

They should start him, it just isn't going to be a one player fix.

There's logic there man...not that I agree with it, because every step in the right direction is a step they need to make, but there's logic.
    Exactly

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sounds all too familiar. I am beginning to think I have to retool my thinking as a fan. Many organizations are going this route. They coddle their young talent as the media hypes the hell out of them. Then, the GMs use the hype to strategize their trade market. Yet, they claim not to trade certain players because said players are a part of their future.

And finally, when the future is at hand, they send the player back to a place where he has dominated and has nothing further to gain. Thus relinquishing the ability for these players to progress.

Just look around, it is happening all around baseball. It is up to us as fans to determine whether it is smart business or just ignorant baseball. Seeing so many organizations take this too familiar route, I am starting to think it is just smart business. Yet, our hearts tell us otherwise because we are fans and we want so badly to see the next Ryan Braun.

And as far as the Rays sucking goes; you guys are on crack. They have so much young talent it is sick. Just think about what this team will have soon.

Kazmir
    Shields
    Garza
    Price
    Niemmann

McGee
    Davis

Brignac
    Upton
    Crawford
    Pena
    Longoria
    Gomes
    Iwamura
    Baldelli

That team is disgusting.
    Navarro

2008 they suck now, but in 2010 or so they are gonna be a nice team.

Turn 2

Well for one thing they are most likely moving out of the cellar in the A.L. East with the horrible Orioles.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Rays said after Monday's game that they were sending down Evan Longoria.
    Then they handled it completely the wrong way. Longoria made it perfectly clear this spring that he was the Rays' best option at third base. If the team was going to send him down anyway, management should have made that perfectly clear going in. Instead, there was a fake competition set up completely for Joe Maddon's amusement. Longoria will head to Triple-A even though he showed he was both the best hitter and fielder at third base. Willy Aybar will spend the first two months in the lineup so that the Rays will control Longoria's rights through 2014, rather than 2013.
    Terrible move for the Rays here. I am in pure disbelief right now. He won the job outright
    and there is nothing left to prove. Looks like Eric Hinske will be taking his roster spot. I hope this kid keeps his head on straight after getting ***** slapped like this.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Rays seem to be obsessed with ex-Dodgers Willy Aybar, Dioner Navarro, and Joel Guzman. I think Dan Feinstein, a DePodesta lackey while he was in LA and Oakland, had some major say in these moves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast