Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pujols Extension Watch

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cardinals Pujols Extension Watch

This thread is dedicated to the Cards trying to extend the best player of the new generation and that is one Albert Pujols. This extension should break all the records that have been recently set but so far, things aren't going so well but that doesn't mean all hope is lost. Far from it. I cannot foresee a scenario in which the Cardinals let Pujols go. He is the best thing St. Louis has seen since Stan Musial. I can see five years, $150 million with options after that but if I were the Cards I would just give him a lifetime contract. Here is the latest thanks to MLBrumors.com:

Cardinals chairman and CEO Bill DeWitt Jr. told Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that he is “hopeful” that the Cardinals can extend Albert Pujols by the time the season starts. The sides are not that far along yet, but they have had “discussions” and will continue to talk. They re-started extension talks last week.

DeWitt says the sides don’t necessarily have to agree to a deal by the start of Spring Training. However, Pujols has said that he doesn’t want to negotiate in-season. I suggested earlier today that it wouldn't be unreasonable for Pujols to compare himself to Alex Rodriguez, who signed the biggest contract in baseball history three offseasons ago.

DeWitt said he doesn’t expect “major” upgrades to his team’s roster between now and the start of the regular season. The Cardinals are not likely to add expensive position players, so Michael Young won't be going to St. Louis. He probably won't be going anywhere, as the Rangers have told him he's staying put.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Pujols Extension Watch

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that Albert Pujols would exercise his no-trade clause on any potential deal.
    It makes getting an extension done even more critical for the Cardinals, as they won't have a potential blockbuster deal to fall back on should they come to the conclusion that keeping him for the long term isn't going to happen. It's possible Pujols could change his mind, but if he doesn't, it certainly would be hard to sell the idea of losing Pujols for only a couple draft picks to the fanbase. Pujols has set a deadline for extension talks for the beginning of spring training, so the Cardinals have 21 days to get something done.
    Tick tock

MLB ERA

An incredible tactic by Pujols here. This puts ALL the pressure on the Cardinals. He may be serious and he may not be, but does STL really want to make that gamble? No. My prediction: he signs with St. Louis for a bigger deal than ARod's. There's no way they let him go to FA, too big of a loss. And you know what? He's worth every penny.

Rookie ERA

I'm not sure if I would rather have Pujols resign with the Cardinals, or become a free agent.

On one hand, signing a long term deal could really tie down the Cards for quite a few years.

On the other, I would love any shot the Cubs would have at throwing every penny we could at him.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Cardinals are balking at Albert Pujols' asking price, with sources painting "an increasingly pessimistic view of the negotiations."
    Rosenthal said Pujols wants a deal that reflects his status as the game’s best player, which means he's likely asking for more, at least on an annual basis, than Alex Rodriguez's 10-year, $275 million contract. While Rosenthal correctly points out that a breakthrough in negotiations could be just a phone call away, things are looking bleak at this point. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Joe Strauss has backed up Rosenthal's pessimistic report, saying the talks are "going nowhere." Pujols and his agent, Dan Lozano, have set the beginning of spring training as the deadline for extension talks, so the two sides don't have much time to close the gap.
    Disappointing news out of St. Louis but all hope isn't lost.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to ESPN.com's Buster Olney, talks between the Cardinals and Albert Pujols are "not moving at all."
    Olney suspects that Pujols is seeking a "Mt. Everest" contract -- something similar to the 10-year, $275 million pact that Alex Rodriguez is currently operating under with the Yankees. As baseball's best hitter, Albert has no real reason to budge from that asking price because he could probably have it met as a free agent next winter. But the Cards are obviously having trouble justifying such a lofty commitment. The club's payroll rarely tops $100 million in a given year. Pujols wants talks to cease once spring training opens.
    Not good news for baseball fans. 7 years and $224 million would be my offer. Cards are tied up for as long and Pujols get paid like the best player in baseball.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The deadline for an extension between the Cardinals and Albert Pujols is earlier than anticipated. The first baseman had been scheduled to arrive in Spring Training on February 19th, but he is now expected to report on February 16th, according to ESPN. That will reduce the sides' negotiating window by three days.

The Cardinals have until Spring Training to work out a deal with Pujols’ agent, Dan Lozano, or the three-time MVP will hit free agency after the season. Earlier today, we heard that the Cardinals had yet to make Pujols a formal offer as of last weekend.
    No offer made yet and now the deadline has been moved up?? This isn't looking good at all for the Cards.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's not like Pujols has that much leverage in terms of possible teams he can leave the Cards for. The Yankees and Red Sox don't need a first baseman, the Dodgers are broke, the Mets are selling part of the team to raise money to resolve litigation, and the Cubs don't generate enough revenue from Wrigley Field to compete for a player like Pujols.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Angels are out there and the Yankees will at least make calls to him, its Albert Pujols! The Cubs have a lot of money coming off the book next year so I wouldn't rule them out either. There are teams that can drive up the price.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    No offer made yet and now the deadline has been moved up?? This isn't looking good at all for the Cards.
    Its not getting any better either.

"Superstar Albert Pujols and the Cardinals are so far apart in negotiations that people familiar with the talks say there is virtually no chance for a deal before the three-time NL MVP reports to spring camp Feb. 16.

Pujols, who will be a free-agent at season's end, has set his reporting date as the deadline for a contract to be done with the Cardinals, but sources indicate that the sides are far apart across the board, meaning on term as well as dollars. Pujols has made it clear talks will cease when he reports, only to be resumed after the season.

As the established best player in the game, Pujols is said to have been seeking a contract at least comparable to Alex Rodriguez's 10-year, $275 million deal, and very likely more than that. People familiar with the talks told SI.com last month that the Cardinals were said to believe a deal for six years, or perhaps seven at the outset, was more reasonable for Pujols, who's 31 years old.

Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt told SI.com in November that he thought the Yankees must regret A-Rod's deal, indicating it wasn't something he wanted to use as a comp for Pujols."
    Virtually no chance for deal between Cardinals, Pujols by deadline - MLB - SI.com

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Angels are out there
    But being the Angels, they'll just watch Pujols sign elsewhere and then trade for Jason Bay's contract instead.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Cardinals have offered Albert Pujols an eight-year contract.
    A little better, but not close to the 10-year deal Pujols reportedly seeks. The exact details of the offer aren't known, but Heyman gathers that it was for less than $30 million per season, or $240 million total. Still, Heyman writes that there's "very little hope" for an agreement by Wednesday's deadline. Stay tuned.
    An eight year deal is very reasonable for the Cards but without knowing the dollar amount, its impossible to see what in fact Pujols turned down. I know Pujols wants to be paid like the best player in the game but 10 years is just not doable for a team like the Cards or any team for that matter. Sure Arod got a 10 year deal but I am almost positive everyone in the Yankee organization is regretting that one. Eight years is actually one more year than I would have offered if I were GM.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Talks are dead....for now. I still think he winds up in St. Louis after its all said and done.

MLB ERA

He likes playing in St. Louis and they definitely appreciate him. He is well on his way to being a HOFer. I think the biggest stumbling block is length of contract. He seems to want 10 years and the Cardinals are balking at it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Cardinals = stupid. When the best hitter of our generation and era is asking to resign with you, you do it, no matter the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast