Thread: Kennedy Waives Goodbye

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cardinals Kennedy Waives Goodbye

The Cardinals have opted to release second baseman Adam Kennedy, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
    At Tony La Russa's urging, says the report. This is definitely a case of bizarre timing, and it's a pretty cruel way for the Cardinals to treat a player. If they didn't want to go forward with the veteran, they should have released him months ago and given him a chance to find a job elsewhere. Kennedy hasn't hit much two years running, but he still plays excellent defense and there was the chance he'd bounce back to be adequate against right-handers. He seems like a better choice than any of the internal candidates to replace him. The Cardinals may just go ahead and sign Mark Grudzielanek now.
    Kennedy fared much better in year two than his first year but it still wasn't enough. The Cards could still use a left handed bat in that lineup and Ray Durham is still out there. Orlando Hudson and Grudz are still out there but will cost draft picks. Interesting to see what the Cards have up their sleeve.

MLB ERA

Re: Kennedy Waives Goodbye

Real dick move in my opinion, to cut him this late. We don't know the circumstances, but that's no way to treat a player. Give him time to find another job.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

My guess is that they have tried to trade Kennedy but couldn't and had no other choice.

MLB ERA

Pinch me... I must be dreaming!

MLB ERA

Anyways they probably told Kennedy going into the offseason the plan was to try and find a trade partner. Dunno if I'd say "dick move" but maybe the $$$ enviroment made him less platible to those looking for infield. He'll get an MLC (which is probably all he'd get regardless) with a ST invite due to his glove.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

All any team has to do is sign him and only have to pay $400k. Cards have to pick up the rest of his $4 million.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Real dick move in my opinion, to cut him this late. We don't know the circumstances, but that's no way to treat a player. Give him time to find another job.
    There is probably more to this story than has been reported. I wouldn't be too surprised if Kennedy complained after hearing the reports about Skip Schumaker being told that he would get time at 2B this Spring. It wouldn't be the first time that Kennedy complained about his playing time. Last year, Kennedy complained that Miles was getting more playing time, and he asked to be traded. Well, Miles was doing well, so he played more often. I'm tired of players like Kennedy that think they are owed something. The dude makes $4Mil per year, and is overpaid, because he hasn't been playing very well. The Cardinals tried to trade him when he asked for a trade, and nobody wanted him, so they were stuck with him. They probably would have given him away like they did Edmonds (well, they ended up getting a much better player than anyone thought) and Reyes. I don't think this move hurts Kennedy much, he still gets his $4Mil, and can sign on with any team that wants him. I doubt any team that wants him, would want him any less now than they would have a couple of months ago. Especially this year,there are a lot of free agents that still haven't been signed. Orlando Hudson still doesn't have a team yet. Of course Hudson will be signed soon, and get a good sized contract, but that just shows that there are still teams that need players. While Kennedy won't be much of a solution for any team, he will be signed by somebody.

Cardinal fans have wanted him gone ever since last winter when he blew off the Winter Warmup which is the annual charity event that all of the players attend every year. The final straw to Cardinals cfans was when he asked for a trade. Who wants a player on your team that wants to play for another team? I don't think anyone does, especially if he isn't very good.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Anyways they probably told Kennedy going into the offseason the plan was to try and find a trade partner. Dunno if I'd say "dick move" but maybe the $$$ enviroment made him less platible to those looking for infield. He'll get an MLC (which is probably all he'd get regardless) with a ST invite due to his glove.
    They did tell him that, and then in November (I think it was November) they told him that nobody wanted him. lol

MLB ERA

yea you guys are probably right. i guess my first reaction was just a bit naive. it's still rough for kennedy though
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't want Kennedy at $4 mil, but since they are eating the contract couldn't they have found a trade partner who would take Kennedy and the cash so that Kennedy would be spared the humiliation?

The Reds pay enough players pretty big bucks to OPS around .600, let alone .692 (BEAST), that I'd have to think there are a few sucker teams out there who would want Kennedy if the contract was covered for.

MLB ERA

I wouldn't want Kennedy at $4 mil, but since they are eating the contract couldn't they have found a trade partner who would take Kennedy and the cash so that Kennedy would be spared the humiliation?
    I agree, and that is why I think there is more to this story than is being reported. The Cardinals tried finding a trade partner for Kennedy, and publicly came out and named him as their starting second baseman when they couldn't find anyone to take him. They let the fan favorite Aaron Miles go, because Kennedy was slated as their starting second baseman. So why all of the sudden do they release Kennedy? It isn't because they have a replacement, because they don't. Two of his possible replacements are Outfielders Skip Schumaker and Joe Mather. The timing of this move doesn't make any sense. When things don't make sense, there is usually more to the story.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cards tried everything to trade him. The humiliation was a last resort.

MLB ERA

When a reporter asked Kennedy about the release, he said he didn't even know about it yet. Now that would be humiliating. I still think that it is his own fault. Kennedy earned his spot in LaRussa's doghouse when he asked for a trade. History has proven, that once you are in LaRussa's doghouse, you might as well pack your bags. Just ask Scott Rolen and Anthony Reyes about it.

MLB ERA

This is a story about the demise of Adam Kennedy. Although, also it also discusses the the change in philosophy that the Cardinals have made since the Jocketty era. I always liked Jocketty, but it is nice to see the Cardinals have a good minor league system for a change. The new regime has allowed their farm system to develop and their fruit is now beginning to ripen. I can't remember a time when the Cardinals actually had more than just a few players in farm system that fans could get excited about.

St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa wins in ouster of Adam Kennedy
    Bernie Miklasz
    Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
    [More columns]
    By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/12/2009

First, manager Tony La Russa asked for an impact bat.

Request denied.

Next, La Russa wanted a veteran closer to lock down those ninth-inning leads.

Request denied.

La Russa thought it would be a smart idea to add an extra starting pitcher.

Request denied.

La Russa pushed to dump second baseman Adam Kennedy.

Request ... fulfilled?

Yes, and what a surprise. GM John Mozeliak and Chairman Bill DeWitt agreed with La Russa's motion (or emotion?) and waived Kennedy. Most shocking of all, DeWitt agreed to take Kennedy's $4 million salary and flush it away.

Giving the organization's recent obsession with budget restraint, this was a stunner. And a victory for La Russa.
    MORE BERNIE
    bullet E-Mail Bernie
    bullet Sound Off in Bernie's Press Box
    bullet Sound Off in Cards Talk
    bullet More Bernie columns

But TLR will take it as it comes. He hasn't won many of these intramural contests over the last couple of seasons.

It's been fascinating to watch La Russa and management executives circle each other, perform a ritual dance and try to co-exist in the established new world order at Busch Stadium.

In the olden days La Russa worked closely with his supreme ally, GM Walt Jocketty. Walt and Tony had the juice, and they controlled the switches. And for the most part, DeWitt went along with the master plan. It was a streamlined operation; the manager, GM and owner ran the show. Jocketty wanted to accommodate La Russa's requests when possible, and as a result Tony had as much power as any manager in baseball.

The paradigm shifted a few years ago. Jeff Luhnow, a non-baseball guy, was recruited by DeWitt to bring the newfangled statistical analysis to the organization. Luhnow brought in likeminded individuals to crunch the numbers and break away from the old-school reliance on traditional scouting. Luhnow eventually received a major promotion and was given control over the draft and player development, taking over a substantial section of Jocketty's territory and power base. Jocketty curdled. He became openly miserable and sour and was abruptly fired by DeWitt at the end of an unhappy 2007 season.

La Russa, gamely attempting to adapt to the rearranged, multi-layered structure, signed a two-year contract extension several weeks after Jocketty's dismissal. And La Russa has tried to preserve his influence in the organization's house-of-mirrors decision-making process. It's not easy for him. Luhnow clearly has DeWitt's ear, which means that the front office has essentially refused to deal their best prospects for short-term help. And remember, that was the Jocketty-La Russa formula for success.

Luhnow and Mozeliak (with the owner's blessings) are quickly moving prospects through the system. La Russa has to play the kids, like it or not. The closer's role is a prime example. After the Cardinals were (predictably) the under bidder on lefty reliever Brian Fuentes, there was no Plan B. The message was sent to the dugout: You want a closer? Well, here's Chris Perez. We drafted him No. 1 and he throws 97 mph. So use him already.

At times this has clearly been uncomfortable for La Russa, 64, who understandably wants to win as many games as he can as soon as he can. That's why La Russa has, on several occasions, publicly challenged DeWitt and Mozeliak to be more aggressive in upgrading the roster. And La Russa has repeatedly issued warnings about the potential folly of reducing the input of hardcore baseball men to go with a full-blown "Moneyball" approach — with TLR obviously directing those comments at Luhnow.

Then again, other times La Russa has been magnanimous in going with the program. Last season the Cardinals had a surprisingly solid 86-win season, in large part, because La Russa embraced change and gave meaningful playing time to younger or ascending players. The Cardinals had 11 players make their major-league debut in 2008. And La Russa seems genuinely enthusiastic about giving prospects Colby Rasmus, David Freese and any number of young second-base candidates a chance to stick and start.

Even with some of his growling and cryptic remarks, La Russa could be making things a lot rougher on the GM, the owner and Luhnow. La Russa is well aware that fans have become impatient and angry over management's increasingly conservative approach to payroll. Instead of exploiting that resentment to put more pressure on the DeWitt cabinet, La Russa has taken a more diplomatic tact. He's even repeated the company line that the franchise has taken a hit in this depressing economy.

Maybe that's one of the reasons La Russa won the Adam Kennedy debate. Maybe the front office thought it best to let him win one. And besides, there was something in it for the boys upstairs. Clearing out Kennedy only increases the likelihood of that job going to a youngster, and that suits the agenda advanced by Luhnow, DeWitt and Mozeliak.

Kennedy was just the latest challenge. And there will be more. La Russa's contract expires after the season, and I doubt he'll stay in St. Louis if he lacks sufficient authority to shape roster decisions. La Russa can't run the show — those days are gone — but he wants his opinions to matter. Does La Russa still have muscle? He'll certainly try to find out in 2009.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jocketty has only been gone a year. He had a lot to do with that farm system. If only they would have granted LaRussa with a starting pitcher or closer.