Thread: Braves interested in Ankiel?

MLB ERA

Rumor Braves interested in Ankiel?

Braves eyeing outfielders
    The Braves are still looking at a number of power-hitting outfielders that they could land via trade. Three of the players currently on their radar are Rick Ankiel, Corey Hart and Jeremy Hermida.

It doesn't appear the Braves still have much interest in Ryan Ludwick. But they may talk to the Cardinals about Ankiel, whose drawback stems from the fact that he's a Scott Boras client who will be eligible for free agency at the end of the 2009 season.

The Braves likely wouldn't have to give up as much to get Ankiel as they would to land Hart, who will be arbitration-eligible for the next three seasons. There have been whispers that the Brewers may choose to trade Hart to slash some money from the payroll.

It doesn't seem like the Braves would have to give the Marlins a lot to get Hermida. But it appears they are more currently more interested in Hart and Ankiel.

- Mark Bowman
    Hot Stove Blog: Braves eyeing outfielders

I have mixed feelings on the idea of trading Ankiel. Ankiel has been my favorite Cardinal ever since he was a rookie pitcher. I would love for him to be a Carinal for a long time, but I don't know how realistic that is. It would probably make more sense for the Cardinals to trade Ankiel and keep Ludwick. Ludwick is cheaper and is under team control for longer. Ankiel will be a free agent after the season, but he is one of the most popular players on the team. A lot of it depends on what we would get for Ankiel. It has to be a worthwhile trade to lose a player like Ankiel.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Braves interested in Ankiel?

The Braves and Cardinals were unable to agree to a Rick Ankiel deal when St. Louis asked for Mike Gonzalez, says FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
    Gonzalez for Ankiel wouldn't necessarily be a bad trade, so there might be more to the story here. Rosenthal goes on to say that the two sides discussed a lesser deal involving Blaine Moyer and Joe Mather, but that those talks also stalled. The Cardinals may now be talking about Ankiel or Skip Schumaker with the Phillies.
    No wonder this deal didn't work. Mike Gonzalez?? That's it? What a joke! Why the **** are the Cards asking for such a shitty pitcher? Ankiel is a great defensive OFer who can hit the ball a long way. He is beloved in St. Louis and was shocked when I heard they were trying to trade him. I think its a bad idea. Ankiel is still learning to hit and field which is a scary thought.

MLB ERA

Mozeliak played down any chance of trading for a closer, torpedoing any possibility of dealing an outfielder for dominant Phillies set-up man Ryan Madson, projected by some within the game as a closer-in-waiting.

"I'm not saying that concept isn't something we thought about or tried. But it's just doesn't seem like it's a part that fits," Mozeliak said about turning another team's set-up man into the Redbirds' closer.

The Phillies are desperate to fill the vacancy left by free-agent left fielder Pat Burrell, and Ludwick perfectly fits their wish list. But Mozeliak cautioned that any connection between a deal that almost sent Ludwick to the Rockies and his current availability is mistaken.

"That was a unique situation," Mozeliak said of the deceased trade talks with the Rockies.
    STLtoday - St. Louis Cardinals could trade outfielder for more pitching

It sounds like the Cardinals are determined to trade an outfielder soon. They do have a surplus, but none of these rumors really sound that beneficial for the Cardinals.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Trade for Brian Roberts if they are trying to fill a need!

MLB ERA

That would be nice, but they still owe 4Mil to Kennedy, and nobody wants him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

So? Sit his ass on the bench or eat salary to move him. Roberts has a year left on his deal and the Cards would then have first crack to sign him. If they don't re-sign him, they get draft picks.

MLB ERA

The Cards do seem focused on Kelly Johnson. No way should they trade Ludwick or Ankiel for Johnson.

I would rather keep both of them, and put Schumaker at 2B.

MLB ERA

Joel Sherman of the New York Post says Cardinals outfielder Rick Ankiel is popular, with at least five interested teams. He adds the Yankees, Rays, and Giants to the previously known Braves. With the lack of center fielders on the market, the interest makes sense. Sherman says the Cardinals seek a closer and/or a starter, and have some interest in Ian Kennedy
    Ankiel might be the one to go since he will be a free agent after the season.

MLB ERA

I really hope the Yankees get into the mix here and offer Ian Kennedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Rays would love this guy. He can smash the ball and play great defense. He would be a RFer for them. The Rays are offering Sonnastine and Edwin Jackson. I like Ankiel is St. Louis though.