Thread: M. Holliday, Y. Escobar, or K. Johnson in the Cards?

MLB ERA

Rumor M. Holliday, Y. Escobar, or K. Johnson in the Cards?

These three have been the most rumored players that the Cards have been after in the last couple of weeks. The Braves seem to like Ludwick, but want to wait to see what happens with Peavy before making a deal for Escobar or Johnson. The Rockies wanted Rasmus, but now seem to like Ludwick in some type of deal for Holliday.

Ludwick seems to be the most likely to be traded, but Ankiel is another big possibility to go. The Cards have depth at OF and need a infielders or a big bat like Holliday.

Any thoughts if one of these deals will happen, or will the Cards deal for someone else. The depth of outfielders makes it likely that someone will be dealt this offseason.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: M. Holliday, Y. Escobar, or K. Johnson in the Cards?

Sources tell FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the Rockies and Cardinals have discussed swapping Matt Holliday for Ryan Ludwick, Skip Schumaker and Mitchell Boggs.
    Ludwick exploded with 37 homers and 113 RBI in 2008 and Schumaker had a nice season from the leadoff spot, but both are around 30 years of age and mostly unproven. Boggs is also a bit of a mystery. The 24-year-old was unimpressive in six starts at the major league level last season, posting a 7.41 ERA and 13/22 K/BB ratio. Ludwick is a nice centerpiece, but it seems the Rockies could do better.
    The Rockies can get a better pitcher than Mitchell Boggs in a Matt Holliday deal.

MLB ERA

I'd love the irony if Jake gets traded to Atlanta and they turn around and deal Escobar to STL.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I'd love the irony if Jake gets traded to Atlanta and they turn around and deal Escobar to STL.
    I'd love it too

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Atlanta's begging to become a SS carousel
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Rockies can get a better pitcher than Mitchell Boggs in a Matt Holliday deal.
    True, but an OF of Holliday, Rasmus, and Ankiel sure does sound nice.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sure it sounds nice. So does an OF of Holliday, Sizemore and Ankiel and many more. Cards will have to do more than Boggs to get the ideal OF. Schumaker and Ludwick is a nice start to a negotiation but the Cards need to put someone better than Boggs in this deal. Garcia would be a better choice.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Sure it sounds nice. So does an OF of Holliday, Sizemore and Ankiel and many more. Cards will have to do more than Boggs to get the ideal OF. Schumaker and Ludwick is a nice start to a negotiation but the Cards need to put someone better than Boggs in this deal. Garcia would be a better choice.
    True, but you don't put your best Cards on the table first. See if they bite with Boggs in there, before you sweeten the pot.

MLB ERA

If the Cardinals are overcrowded in the outfield, what good will Matt Holliday do them, even if they get rid of Ludwick or Ankiel in the deal? If those 2 weren't big enough bats last season as Holliday then the Cardinals are getting picky. Yes Holliday's better than them, but they're still the same position, and St. Louis is going to have to give up a lot more to get Holliday.

They're better off keeping those 2 than dealing one and a bunch of stuff for Holliday.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dealing Schumaker and Ludwick would free up space in the OF for Holliday and Rasmus. Holliday is a much more proven commodity than either of them. Ludwick and Schumaker might be one year wonders so go for the sure thing. Cards are also trying to trade Chris Duncan to free up another OFer.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Who would pass up on the chance to have Holliday backup Pujols? And throw in Ankiel or Ludwick and Glaus, and the heart of the order gets fiesty.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    If the Cardinals are overcrowded in the outfield, what good will Matt Holliday do them, even if they get rid of Ludwick or Ankiel in the deal? If those 2 weren't big enough bats last season as Holliday then the Cardinals are getting picky. Yes Holliday's better than them, but they're still the same position, and St. Louis is going to have to give up a lot more to get Holliday.

They're better off keeping those 2 than dealing one and a bunch of stuff for Holliday.
    I agree with reffer...for once. lol The Cardinals want a big bat to hit behind Pujols no matter what position he plays. Holliday fits that bill, and they have extra depth in the OF to deal for him. Yeah, Ludwick had an amazing year last year, but it was just 1 year. Was it a fluke? I really have no idea, but there is a chance that it was. So if the Cardinals hold their cards and keep Ludwick, they may get stuck with a player that plays like he did before last year. Holliday is proven and is more of a guarantee. If they can upgrade to Holliday by giving up 2 of their outfielders and a pitcher like Boggs, then to me it's a no brainer. Even if you have to give up a little more, then I'd do it. In the past, the Rockies have demanded Colby Rasmus be included in a deal for Holliday. That is a deal that I wouldn't make. Rasmus, Holliday, and Ankiel would be an amazing outfield and a great heart of the order with Pujols.