Thread: Izzy to Call It Quits?

MLB ERA

Injury Izzy to Call It Quits?

According to Baseball Tonight, Jason Isringhausen said "I'm done" after he found out he has a torn muscle in his elbow. Anyone know if he's talking about just this season, or his career?
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Re: Izzy to Call It Quits?

Wow, talk about a guy who's career had come full circle. He was a highly touted prospect, who became a bust, then became a great closer, and had now become a part of one of the worst bullpens in the game(I say one of the worst, because the Mets still call their collection of misfits a bullpen). Tough break for Izzy. He's come back before, but if his career is done...he finished JUST shy of 300 saves.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He is talking about his career and that means Wainwright will have to come back as closer. Izzy is the Cards leader in saves and has meant a lot to St. Louis. I was talking to a friend recently who went to a Cards/Phillies game in STL and he said Taguchi got a five minute standing ovation. Only in St. Louis!! Izzy will always be welcomed back.

MLB ERA

Izzy's the Cardinals all time leader in saves? That's actually kinda impressive. It's sad to see any player forced to retire due to injury...

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    He is talking about his career and that means Wainwright will have to come back as closer.
    I don't know what he meant, but LaRussa said that he thinks Izzy will be able to pitch next season. If he does, I doubt it will be with the Cards. I don't know if this necessarily mean that Wainwright wll be the closer, that idea still seems to be up in the air. Izzy wasn't being used as the closer anyways, so this shouldn't matter. Hopefully, Chris Perez continues to be used as the closer, and Wainwright returns to the rotation since Carpenter is out.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I was talking to a friend recently who went to a Cards/Phillies game in STL and he said Taguchi got a five minute standing ovation. Only in St. Louis!! Izzy will always be welcomed back.

Even Jim Edmonds received a standing ovation, while wearing a CUBS uniform. Now that says a lot about Cardinal fans. Would Yankee fans do that for one of their former players wearing a Red Sox uni? St. Louis really is the best city that I've ever been to... for baseball and otherwise.