Thread: What The **** Are You Waiting For??

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cardinals What The **** Are You Waiting For??

The Cards were just swept by the Milwaukee Brewers in four games, three of which the Cards lead going into the 8th. Three blown games for the Cards!!! What exactly will it take for the Cards to pull the trigger on a trade for a reliever/closer. Izzy and Franklin aren't getting it done and costing this team games. Cards need to do something and fast while there are still relievers to get. Cards are pursuing Fuentes pretty hard as of last night and George Sherrill's name keeps popping up. They need to do something while they are just four games out of first!!

MLB ERA

Re: What The **** Are You Waiting For??

Yeah, they need to do something now too, rather than wait a week until the deadline. That week could be valuable later in the season. 3 blown 9th innings in 4 games is just horrific.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

You two act like all they have to do is go to the corner store and pick up a reliever or two for a buck fifty.

It takes two to make a deal, and while it's prudent for them to get it done ASAP, they should still not let the other team rake them over the coals in the trade because of their desperation.

I'm sure if they could have gotten Fuentes or Sherril by now they would have.

Perhaps the other GMs are talking to other teams to see if their offer is better than St Louis's?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, what the **** are you waiting for?? The trade market revolves around the St. Louis Cardinals!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

They could get something done with all the relievers available. You guys act as if there are only one or two to choose from. Of course it takes two to tango and the Cards have plenty of dance moves to choose from. They have prospects and people to deal for one reliever. Sherril, Mahay, Marte, Ohman, Fuentes and plenty of others that can help now. You're saying they can't get a deal struck quickly to obtain just one of these guys? You say that you're sure if the Cards could have gotten them by now they would have but so would every other team looking right? Cards are carrying 13 pitchers and its still not enough. They have good pieces to move and need to strike a deal quickly.

MLB ERA

All I'm saying is it's easy to look at the lack of a move thus far and say that it needs to be done as an armchair GM.

Do you seriously think they're kicking back in their offices with their feet on their desks thinking "nah, we'll get that reliever later, we don't need him now"?

I'm sure they're perfectly aware of the need for another reliever.

The fact that there isn't one there yet means there's obviously a viable reason behind it.

Maybe they feel one or some of those you listed would be nothing more than lateral moves?

I don't know what the Cardinals' GM is thinking, nor will I pretend to know. I just know that he's not being lazy and sitting on his thumbs being completely unaware that his team needs a reliever.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I know they aren't just sitting on their thumbs but I also know they aren't getting things done either. Getting a lefthanded reliever would not be a lateral move. They need it and its more evident each day. LaRussa has been asking for one for a while and he isn't getting help. The were just swept by the Brewers who have gotten two pieces to add to their playoff run. You honestly think those guys I mentioned couldn't help a lot more than Ron Villone and Izzy at this point? Especially having Dave Duncan working with them?? He might be aware they need a reliever but it has been a long time and still nothing. Waiting for the deadline is too long in the Central because it is so tough and the two teams above them have already bettered their clubs. This team has needed bullpen help ever since Izzy was demoted to reliever and not a thing has been done for the big pitcure.

MLB ERA

The problem is that the guys you named are sought after by about 13 other teams. So, the team who currently owns them isn't going to forfeit the chance to use that leverage to get more from OTHER teams. If you want one of those guys now, you'll have to tremendously overpay, and the Cardinals GM clearly knows that that would be a dumb move.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes 13 other teams but Cards have damn good spects and MLB guys who are being blocked by better players. The Cards have had months to do this and haven't. Now its getting closer and "overpaying" as you put it to get better and keep them from the Cubs and Brewers is what they have to do. Not like they are mortgaging the future.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    You two act like all they have to do is go to the corner store and pick up a reliever or two for a buck fifty.

It takes two to make a deal, and while it's prudent for them to get it done ASAP, they should still not let the other team rake them over the coals in the trade because of their desperation.

I'm sure if they could have gotten Fuentes or Sherril by now they would have.

Perhaps the other GMs are talking to other teams to see if their offer is better than St Louis's?
    Exactly! It isn't as easy as it sounds. Relievers are in high demand, the Cardinals aren't the only team looking for an upgrade to their pen. The price may go down closer to the deadline, but for now it seems to be sky high. I would hope the Cardinals won't give away their best prospects for a reliever.

I'm curious what the Yankees gave up for Nady and Marte. Marte is a class A free agent, so he won't be cheap at all. The Orioles are asking for a shortstop for Sherril. Apparently the Brewers had interest until the Orioles asked for Hardy or Escobar.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Look at the Yanks deal and tell me the ****ing Cards couldn't have done better!! Looking at that trade, it is as easy as it sounds. And the Cards best prospects are guys with no position at the big league level. Rasmus is untouchable but guys like Bryan Anderson have no place to play.