Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best Goes Down

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cardinals The Best Goes Down

The Cardinals' first baseman crumpled one step out of the batter's box during the seventh inning after aggravating a left calf strain that limited him to pinch-hit duty during last Thursday's split doubleheader in Washington. This time Albert Pujols screamed out in pain and had to be helped from the field. Pujols left the stadium before the game's conclusion and will return to St. Louis this morning to be examined by team medical supervisor Dr. George Paletta. Though the club has yet to officially put Pujols on the disabled list, it is enough of a formality that it summoned Chris Duncan 12 days after he was optioned to Class AAA Memphis.
    This is the biggest blow!! Pujols is the St. Louis Cardinals and now the Cards will have to find ways to win without their best hitter and best pitcher (Wainwright). Its really bad when you have to bring Chris Duncan up to fill his position. Ludwick, Ankiel and Molina will have to lead this team. Cards fans are glad Glaus' bat has come to life in June! Huge blow!!

MLB ERA

Re: The Best Goes Down

Losing a player like Pujols will hurt, but I don't think it is that big of a blow unless he is out for a long time. This team is proving themselves that no matter who goes out on the field...they can win. They have guys that are washed up, and guys that were never supposed to be more than bench players. They have starters that weren't good enough to make the KC Royal bullpen. They have a collection of players that nobody wanted, and the rest were guys that most baseball fans have never heard of, but they are winning. They are winning because they believe in themselves. The biggest hurdle will be how Pujols' injury affects them emotionally. Will they start to doubt themselves now that the best player in the game has gone down, or will this energize them even more. I believe the latter will be true. Tony LaRussa has a way of making his players believe in themselves, and I think Pujols has a lot to do with that too. Even when he is hurt... he is a big influence in the clubhouse. He is a real leader, and being hurt has never changed his leadership role.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pujols is more than likely gone for more than 15 days.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Losing such a huge bat in the middle of that lineup is devastating to the Cards. It is really hard to replace such a quality bat. Everyone is going to have to step up to replace his production in this lineup from the #1 hitter to the #8 hitter. Hopefully he won't have to be out for a really long time.

MLB ERA

I actually agree with Crazy on this one. As much as losing a bat like this hurts, baseball is the one sports where one guy's loss I believe has the least impact on a team. I mean think about it, even the great Albert Pujols only gets on base less than half his times up (however, .475 is RIDICULOUS). That's the beauty of baseball. Losing Pujols will be tough, but the Cards are showing they are a winning ball club, through and through. I think they'll keep it up for a bit while he's gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You are replacing the best hitter in baseball with Chris freakin Duncan!! ESPN is reporting Pujols out for 3 weeks at best. This will definitely hurt. I said Ankiel will have to step it up and he has done just that. He went deep for #10 for him.

MLB ERA

Bengie Molina went down?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Not the 4th best hitter in the NL silly, the best all around hitter in the game today.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Bengie Molina went down?

lmao
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ryan Ludwick to the rescue.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

The Cardinals beat the Reds 10-0 in their first game without Pujols. Braden Looper stepped it up and pitched the best game of his career, a 3 hit shutout.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    I actually agree with Crazy on this one. As much as losing a bat like this hurts, baseball is the one sports where one guy's loss I believe has the least impact on a team. I mean think about it, even the great Albert Pujols only gets on base less than half his times up (however, .475 is RIDICULOUS). That's the beauty of baseball. Losing Pujols will be tough, but the Cards are showing they are a winning ball club, through and through. I think they'll keep it up for a bit while he's gone.

Exactly, and as great as Pujols is, he can't pitch. Albert Pujols is the best hitter in the game, but he isn't the only reason the Cardinals are winning. The Cardinals are winning because the pitching staff has done an unbelievable job. The Cardinals are winning because all of the hitters... pujols included, are playing each game like it's a playoff game. Losing Pujols will hurt... no doubt, but it isn't a devastating loss. This team has played great with Pujols, and last night the played great without Pujols. I don't see any reason why they can't keep it up.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes but they lost their best hitter AND pitcher. That's the point. Hard to win consistently when you lose your best two players. Cards got a break with Soriano breaking his hand.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ryan Franklin to the rescue.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Franklin has done an ok job filling in for Izzy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast