Thread: Every time Joe Morgan speaks, part of my brain dies.

MLB ERA

Every time Joe Morgan speaks, part of my brain dies.

http://www.sfweekly.com/Issues/2005-...feature_1.html

Joe: I don't read books like that. I didn't read Bill James' book, and you said he was complimenting me. Why would I wanna read a book about a computer, that gives computer numbers?

Me: It's not about a computer.

Joe: Well, I'm not reading the book, so I wouldn't know.

Joe: Why would I wanna read the book? All I'm saying is, I see a game every day. I watch baseball every day. I have a better understanding about why things happen than the computer, because the computer only tells you what you put in it. I could make that computer say what I wanted it to say, if I put the right things in there. ... The computer is only as good as what you put in it. How do you think we got Enron?

WHAT?! How can you comment on a book you haven't even read? Not to mention not even knowing the author. His comparison between Enron and baseball statistics is so silly I am pained to read it.

This just furthers my opinion that Joe Morgan is the least intelligent man in baseball. From his great ESPN Sunday Night quotes such as "David Eckstein only got to that ball because it was coming towards him" and "See, when Lance Berkman makes contact on that ball, he is helping his team" as Lance flies out to left with 2 outs and other inane, nonsensical BS.

Fire Joe Morgan. Out of a cannon. On to the moon. The game of baseball will be better served.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    To think he didn't even get to say "Have I ever told you how much I love Barry Bonds?" .
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

What an amazing article, his ignorance of the stat realm astounds me. It's one thing not to buy into the sabermetric movement or not to buy into OBP or Moneyball or Bill James, but to be so oblivious as a baseball color man is simply amazing, considering how much the movement has helped his legacy. I remember Dave and I had a discussion on whether Joe Morgan should be on the Top 64 players ballot. I thoguht so and Dave couldn't see him as such. Likewise, prior to the uprising of OBP and questioning of basbeall staples, people didn't see Morgan as a all-tume great, and now more people do. The problem isn't believing in an anti-moneyball philosophy, rather being ignorant of what it stands for.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AAA ERA
    Outstanding article. I sent it to everyone on my mailing list. I highly recommend.
    "I played The Game," he says. "You're reading it from a book. I played. I watched. I see everything. I know what happens out there."
    I despise this hook. I played; You didnt; Ergo you know nothing about baseball. It's a childish and condescending way to discredit people with a different view on baseball that trumps his own.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If only he made more sense when he was analyzing and wasn't shoved so far up Bonds' arse, the whole me being an ex-major leaguer and you just being a writer stance might hold up.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    The sad part is that Joe Morgan the player was one of the most efficient and complete players ever. How could he talk badly of the stuff he did everyday?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.