Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Moneyballers - I'm throwing the gauntlet down

Theo has used some of Moneyball rhetoric in his travels though. Obviously, the cash is given to sign the big guys who anybody wants. But when guys like Ortiz, Bellhorn, Millar, Mueller (4/9 of your typical starting lineup) are making small amounts of money (initial contracts) or moderate amounts (extension) all from FA signings, he does look for cheap value. Similar with pitchers like Miller, Arroyo, Wakefield (although he's a carryover more than anything), even acquiring Mike Myers twice. Obviously Theo has money to work with, but he does find his bargains which is essential to keeping any team not named the New York Yankees competitive.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Quote Originally Posted by A'sDiehard
    Hey Taylor, Moneyball is back babeee.......
    Have faith man, I've been there suffering for four years!

ERA
    Call NASA
    Quote Originally Posted by A'sDiehard
    The only thing moneyball (if it even exists) has taught me is not to get attached to any one player because before you know it he'll be wearing another uniform.
    Golly gee, do you believe any baseball system exists?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

A's

tsk tsk...you all wrote the A's off way too soon (including my fellow A's fans), now didn't you? And 2 of you don't even post here anymore...

MLB ERA
    This WIN METHOD person is insane. The name itself says he evaluates player based on team performance (if he's not just some nut with a crackpipe and too much free time). No talent evaluator in their right mind would do this.

As for the rest, I don't think Moneyball is better or worse than any other talent evaluation system when used properly. I do, however, believe in using statistics more than scouting (such as if a player has a "good power swing" with 0 HR or has "the frame to add velocity to pitches" with a FB that tops out at 90) in evaluating talent.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610
    This WIN METHOD person is insane. The name itself says he evaluates player based on team performance (if he's not just some nut with a crackpipe and too much free time). No talent evaluator in their right mind would do this.
    The object of the players on a team is to WIN. And the team that WINS in the end has the best players. Unless you think the team that WINS has the worst players. I'll let my success answer your 'in their right mind' opinion.

MLB ERA
    Joek, the Yankees have won because they can spend unlimited money to cover up any mistakes they make. They will do anything to get players who WIN, but it has nothing to do with any brilliant evaluation of players. The number of Wins a pitcher has(which you are so high on) has to do with the team AROUND him and is a product of the team in place, not some inherent qualities the player possesses.

There is no "method" to spending mindlessly until fielding a desirable team.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by joek
    The object of the players on a team is to WIN. And the team that WINS in the end has the best players. Unless you think the team that WINS has the worst players. I'll let my success answer your 'in their right mind' opinion.
    That makes absolutely no sense. By your logic, Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Peyton Manning or Dan Marino in the NFL, but anyone who has ever even glanced at a stat sheet could easily tell you that that is not the case.

You said that either the teams that win have the best players, or has the worst players. You must be a nut with a crackpipe and too much free time if you don't realize that there is absolutely nothing that is either one extreme or the other. There is some middle ground, and if you don't realize that, you're a pisspoor talent evaluator (if you actually are a talent evaluator).

Your success? Prove your success. Show a shred of evidence that you work for the Yankees and/or that you are a professional baseball scout. Until then, you've got nothing except some unexplained theory that you claim is responsible for the Yankees' success over the past decade. I can tell you what was responsible for their success over the past decade, and their current debacle this year ($200 million should buy a little more than a wild card berth), but I'll give you an oppurtunity to explain it in a manner that has a little more thought and logic behind it than some mysterious unexplained formula that we're all supposed to believe you created. I do believe you created something, but whatever you did create, you wound up smoking which led you to the current delusions of grandeur you're suffering from. So, either put the crackpipe down and start making some sense, or don't even bother posting, because no one is buying the bullshit.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    tsk tsk...you all wrote the A's off way too soon (including my fellow A's fans), now didn't you? And 2 of you don't even post here anymore...
    Hey, I've eaten my crow.......PUBLICLY.

yUM yUM.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610
    I can tell you what was responsible for their success over the past decade, and their current debacle this year ($200 million should buy a little more than a wild card berth), but I'll give you an oppurtunity to explain it in a manner that has a little more thought and logic behind it than some mysterious unexplained formula that we're all supposed to believe you created.
    I'm still waiting...

ERA
    Call NASA
    Much of the payroll, is a result of rewarding the employees for overwhelming successes for attaining playoffs year after year, winning multiple pennants and multiple WS. These succecces where do to the WIN METHOD. I am not a scout and I do not work for the YANKEES. Get your malicious ficticious story straight. If it was just money, then why hasn't every team that has spent the largest amounts of money reach the playoffs every year. And if it is the 'big market', then why hasn't every 'big market' team made the playoffs every year. Stop being foolish and get a life.

MLB ERA
    Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, Tony Womack, Tino Martinez.

You always said before that you worked for the Yankees. Go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    You always said before that you worked for the Yankees. Go away.
    I have NEVER stated I worked for the YANKEES you ignorant ingrate. However I do realize you and some others like to make stuff up. Don't go away. Your useless meaningless imbecilic posts are always welcome.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Joek works for Steinbrenner and only Steinbrenner. Hard to believe, but yeah..

MLB ERA
    Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, Tony Womack, Tino Martinez. Way to go, Joe.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast