Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soriano to Tigers?

Well well well, looks like the writer is just trying to cause some chaos when clearly Abreu is the more wanted one in Detroit.

If Tigers gave up that much for Soriano, there would be very very unhappy fans. Especially for just a "rental".

Plus, getting another batter is just want, not really a need. I don't see Soriano coming to Detroit, now Abreu, I see Abreu easily coming to Detroit.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Well well well, looks like the writer is just trying to cause some chaos when clearly Abreu is the more wanted one in Detroit.

If Tigers gave up that much for Soriano, there would be very very unhappy fans. Especially for just a "rental".

Plus, getting another batter is just want, not really a need. I don't see Soriano coming to Detroit, now Abreu, I see Abreu easily coming to Detroit.
    Bobby Abreu, RF--Philadelphia Phillies: the Yankees, Mets, Angels and Red Sox are heavily pursuing a deal for Abreu, though nothing appears close. The Phils want a top young pitcher (Hughes, Santana and Lester) from each, which is price that is too high for all three teams. Abreu's no-trade clause and high salaries make a deal unlikely to be worked out by the end of the month. The Phils, however, appear willing to accept a group of mid-level prospects for Abreu, if the receiving team also takes on all of Abreu's salaries. Abreu would consequently ask that his option for 2008 be exercised or he could even ask for an extension thru 2011 in exchange for waiving his NTC.
    I don't see him easily coming to Detroit.

MLB ERA
    Looks like a bunch of writer speculation to me.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Too bad because Soriano has more pop and more speed than Abreu. Abreu will cost about the same so it wouldn't necessarily be a rental.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Too bad because Soriano has more pop and more speed than Abreu. Abreu will cost about the same so it wouldn't necessarily be a rental.
    Disagree.

I think that they're both fits, although the Tigers need a 'lefty' bat more, maybe Dombrowski knows something regarding Dmitri Young that we don't. If Dmitri plays well, Soriano might be a better fit as it's been rumored that Abreu hasn't played a steller OF this year and Soriano has adapted nicely. Soriano has more power, but the 'same price' is wrong.

Soriano would be a rental, nothing more. The Nationals want Humberto Sanchez and a few prospects for him. Do I make this deal? Only if I'm absolutely sure that Dmitri Young will be back and his attitude adjusted. If you're absolutely sure that Soriano is the one piece you lack, then do the deal. If not, I think Sanchez is too good to give up for a fairly free swinging rental.

Abreu won't cost the same as far as prospects, he'll just cost more cash. He wants to be compensated handsomely for leaving Philly and teams like Detroit have to consider if this years power outage is a fluke or if it's going to be the norm.

An $18 million extension is a high price for a guy with a high OBP but low power and eroding defense.

That said, as a Tiger fan I'd still prefer Abreu.

MLB ERA
    Why mortgage the future now? It's not like the Tigers won't make the playoffs.

AA ERA
    Abreu makes 13mil this season.....2007---15mil and in 2008 a team option worth 16mil.......atleast he's not a rental.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    It's not like the Tigers won't make the playoffs.
    Your exactly right. But this move would try and better our hitting so we can get further than just making the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants666
    I don't see him easily coming to Detroit.
    Actually quite wrong there. Detroit has a lot of prospects they could give up for Abreu. It's all about if we should actually pay the price for Abreu. That's up to Dombrowski. I see Dombrowski doing it.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Actually quite wrong there. Detroit has a lot of prospects they could give up for Abreu. It's all about if we should actually pay the price for Abreu. That's up to Dombrowski. I see Dombrowski doing it.
    I'd be more willing to give up Sanchez if I were sure he'd be 'happy' in Detroit and not force a trade.

I can honestly admit that if we traded Sanchez and others for Abreu and then he forced a trade in the offseason; I'd have to have someone make me some Bobby Abreu toilet paper. It'd go along nicely with my Randy Smith dart board.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerstripes
    I'd be more willing to give up Sanchez if I were sure he'd be 'happy' in Detroit and not force a trade.

I can honestly admit that if we traded Sanchez and others for Abreu and then he forced a trade in the offseason; I'd have to have someone make me some Bobby Abreu toilet paper. It'd go along nicely with my Randy Smith dart board.
    Holy shit, i got a randy smith dart board too.

Would we really have to give up Sanchez? I heard Tata's name thrown around and I'd be more than willing to give him up. Cause I was just never impressed with him.

I think you'd have to give up something like Sanchez to get Abreu. Abreu's expensive, aging, and his defense is overrated, so he should come at a discount and should not cost a Zumaya/Verlander. But I think Sanchez or Maybin would be necessary. Credit goes to Dombrowski if he can get Abreu for a player like Tata or Whelan
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    I think you'd have to give up something like Sanchez to get Abreu. Abreu's expensive, aging, and his defense is overrated, so he should come at a discount and should not cost a Zumaya/Verlander. But I think Sanchez or Maybin would be necessary. Credit goes to Dombrowski if he can get Abreu for a player like Tata or Whelan
    Wow. You're not fairly knowledgable about the Tigers minor leaguers are ya? Maybin would be neccessary? That has to be a joke?

I can see Sanchez possibly. If we can give Philadelphia Tata, along with a couple of specs. That should definitely be enough.

You do realize, that on one set of rankings just a week ago, Sanchez was ranked HIGHER than Maybin, correct?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast