Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soriano to Tigers?

Wait you moved this to the smack forum. As in generals words......

*snap* *snap* *snap* no you didn't.......

Damn it, I was having fun talking about the Tigers in this thread.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerstripes

Abreu won't cost the same as far as prospects, he'll just cost more cash. He wants to be compensated handsomely for leaving Philly and teams like Detroit have to consider if this years power outage is a fluke or if it's going to be the norm.
    What in the hell makes you think it won't cost prospects? What are you going to give them then? Either way it will cost you your prospects so why not go for the better overall player? The Phillies are going to have to buyout his trade clause and give him money on his option. That's going to cost any team their prospects right there.

The Tigers know that it's going to cost prospects, but they just hope not as much since they're taking on a pretty big contract. That's all. Last I heard, Leyland said there was no chance of getting Abreu. Phillies mustve told Tigers, what it was going to cost. Dombrowski was smart and rejected the trade offer.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    So Abreu wasn't so easy now was it? Soriano is the better of the two anyway. Either way they were going to cost high prospects because the Phillies were going to have to pay as well.

I highly doubt we get Soriano. Cause I'm just not comfortable with him on the team. Cause he could possibly be just playing OF, cause he knows he can leave Washington after the season. Soriano would probably ask to play 2B. I just don't see Polanco moving out of 2B, so we can have this great hitter. Cause we all know how much Soriano sucks defensively.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    What in the hell makes you think it won't cost prospects? What are you going to give them then? Either way it will cost you your prospects so why not go for the better overall player? The Phillies are going to have to buyout his trade clause and give him money on his option. That's going to cost any team their prospects right there.

Lets see, Abreu isn't worth the $18 million that he's asking for to accept a trade and the Phillies know it. You can ask for the moon but it doesn't mean you'll get it.

If you think the Tigers will give three top prospects for Abreu, you've been living up to your screenname a bit too much.

They might give up some prospects, but Sanchez or the like...I doubt it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    So you doubt they will get him because YOU feel discomfort? I think every GM will say no to Soriano ever playing second again after this year. He has adapted very well to the OF. For the money Soriano will be making next year, he will play where ever the **** they want him to.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Lets see, Abreu isn't worth the $18 million that he's asking for to accept a trade and the Phillies know it. You can ask for the moon but it doesn't mean you'll get it.

If you think the Tigers will give three top prospects for Abreu, you've been living up to your screenname a bit too much.

They might give up some prospects, but Sanchez or the like...I doubt it.
    The Phillies have to pay Abreu to be traded and pick up his option so yes they will need highly touted prospects. They are not going to go through that much trouble to get "decent" prospects. I never said three was the magic number tigerstripes so maybe you need some pot. Where are you getting lost?

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    I highly doubt we get Soriano. Cause I'm just not comfortable with him on the team. Cause he could possibly be just playing OF, cause he knows he can leave Washington after the season. Soriano would probably ask to play 2B. I just don't see Polanco moving out of 2B, so we can have this great hitter. Cause we all know how much Soriano sucks defensively.
    I don't remember where I read it but rumor has it that virtually any team (other than NYY) trading for him will require him to agree to an extension prior to making a deal.

It makes sense.

Rookie ERA
    The Phillies have to pay Abreu to be traded and pick up his option so yes they will need highly touted prospects. Where are you getting lost?
    PUT THE BONG DOWN

I'll say this v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y so you'll get it.

The Phillies will are requiring the other team to pick up the remainder of the contract. Furthermore, Abreu has a FULL no trade clause. This enables him to block a trade if he doesn't want it.

The team that's acquiring him will have to pick up his option...not the Phillies. I know that it's difficult to figure out, but I have a bit of faith in you.

(Once again, I'll say it slowly. The acquiring team is the team that he'll end up on.)

So lets put it together:

Phillies: get off of salary hook and some lesser prospects

Acquiring team (team getting player) Pays remainder of salary & picks up option years at significantly more than player is worth.

I don't remember where I read it but rumor has it that virtually any team (other than NYY) trading for him will require him to agree to an extension prior to making a deal.

It makes sense.
    Really? Hmm. I still think he would make it a requrement or something that he plays 2B. Which would be pretty stupid.

PUT THE BONG DOWN

I'll say this v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y so you'll get it.

The Phillies will are requiring the other team to pick up the remainder of the contract. Furthermore, Abreu has a FULL no trade clause. This enables him to block a trade if he doesn't want it.

The team that's acquiring him will have to pick up his option...not the Phillies. I know that it's difficult to figure out, but I have a bit of faith in you.

(Once again, I'll say it slowly. The acquiring team is the team that he'll end up on.)

So lets put it together:

Phillies: get off of salary hook and some lesser prospects

Acquiring team (team getting player) Pays remainder of salary & picks up option years at significantly more than player is worth.
    Wow. It says I have to spread rep around before giving it to you.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Most teams, by that I mean no teams, are not going to take on his $16 million option which means the Phillies will have to!!! Plus they still have to buy out his no waive clause. No team is going to take on the option!!!! If you have a problem any problems, take Advil.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    And just to add one more thing, the whole reason for me responding was because someone said Abreu would be easier than Soriano to obtain which is far from the truth as I clearly have stated.

Rookie ERA
    Most teams, by that I mean no teams, are not going to take on his $16 million option which means the Phillies will have to!!! Plus they still have to buy out his no waive clause. No team is going to take on the option!!!! If you have a problem any problems, take Advil.
    Sure they will. The Phil's have told teams that well in advance that they WILL have to take on Abreu's contract and Abreu's agent has said recently that the acquiring team WILL have to compensate his player.

Here's a morsel from the San Jose Mercury:

"An Abreu deal would be more of a money transaction, since the Yankees would be doing the Phillies a favor by taking his hefty contract. Gillick has asked about Phillip Hughes, the Yankees top pitching prospect, but the Yankees have no intention on dealing him."

That article explains the differences in what it'll take to get Soriano vs. Abreu...primarily PROSPECTS.

Again, it said that Abreu will be more of a money deal since the Phils have long since stated that you want him, you get his overblown contract.

No waive clause? What the hell is that? Is the guy getting waived? It's a NO TRADE CLAUSE.

Advil sounds great. After reading your last post and trying to get any of it to make sense...I think I'll either take the entire bottle or go run in front of a fat lady in spandex chasing a run away twinkie.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast